Monthly Severe Bloating Issue

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello Guys, ive been suffering with a stomach issue for the past 3 years and I've been going to (incredibly slow progress with the NHS) tests, scans.. so many things I can't remember exactly every test I've had. Here's some background and I'd love your opinions on what it cpuld possibly be.. at my wits end now.

First off I'm a 28 YO who has a very good diet, I take my health pretty seriously so most days my diet is wholegrain rice, grilled chicken and a veg portion (or fish, wholegrains etc). What happens is every month or so (so it's not a constant thing) when I eat something I will soon feel twinges in my stomach and my stomach will severely bloat, to the point where it's as full as it can be and very firm.. it was produced ALOT of acid reflux. From this point anything so eat makes things worse so I have to nibble on food every 40mins or so to allow me to eat still, otherwise I have to fast as it's too uncomfortable. Once this starts, it typically lasts for 3 days or so until it slowly subsides... untill a month or so down the line when it occurs again.

I have cut dairy out if my diet as a precaution (have the occasional splash in a coffee etc) and have drastically reduced my gluten Intake as a precaution. I'm not entirely convinced it's an allergy as there is little consistency to what I've eaten when an episode occurs.

I've had an endoscopy which came back clear, mris and gastric emptying tests which all come back clear. I have never had a scan during those 3 days out of the month that it typically occurs which is frustrating. When it happens my I don't poo as frequently and it's very pasty when I do. My flatulence is incredibly bad smelling during these periods too.

Other than these days when an episode occurs, my stomach is absolutely normal, doesn't give me any issues whatsoever.. it just now and again kicks off for 3 days solid and it's starting to get me down.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Excuse the odd random word, did this on my phone and the formatting and autocorrect made it difficult to proof read.
  • Posted

I should add, even though my stomach is full and cramping I do not and can not burp at all really. If I do burp a bit it typically brings up some acid reflux.
  • Posted

Hi Wilfko

Sorry that you are going through this. Have you noticed if your symptons are around your menstrual cycl

• Posted

Probably important to mention I'm a man. Haha

• Posted

Has IBS been considered which can cause these symptoms and doesn't show on teats?  

• Posted

Hi wifko

You may be overdoing it with the wholegrain rice

wich contains dietry fibre which can cause gas and bloating.

Either cut down with WGrice or change to white. Grain and bran in the

outer layers of the rice contain phylic acid which binds to useful minerals

and renders them useless..too much fibre stretches the intestinal tract

which causes gas and bloating and destroys good gut bacteria which can

cause IBS.....best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.