Months coming off Zopiclone

Posted , 5 users are following.

Like many others, I was given Zopiclone because "it is not addictive".  Before that, on benzo's for 40 years.  I am 74.  This year, my husband, with Alzheimer's went into a nursing home, and finally, I had peace and decided to come off the 7.5.  Like others, my mind, although I didn't know it then, was fuzzy, and I hated getting up and driving in the mornings.  I came down from 7.5 to 5.0. Then cut back to 2.5, but had to take Melatonin or something a couple of hours later.  Last few nights, no Melatonin, but wake up early.  Now starting to take my thumbnail to peel off a bit more of the 2.5!!  I had a lot of misdiagnoses this year, and saw different docs, who all congratulated me on my decision.  My mind is like an i-pad screen after you clean it off.  Amazing.  I am tired, sure, as not getting enough sleep, but my doc says to do it s-l-o-w-l-y, and says that the lower I get, the harder it is.  My brain in now screaming "What the heck are you doing to me.  Don't you dare go down any more. No No!!!"  But I am going to continue cutting down - it's been months, not days,   and taking Melatonin if needed, or Valerian, etc.  I would not suggest going on diazapam, that's one I was on, and that can hook you too.  Now my mind is clear, when my body catches up on sleep, it will be awsome, and well worth it.  This drug fooled a lot of doctors, and there should be a world wide lawsuit against it, since the physicians were definitely told it was not addictive.  I have read on other sites it is harder to get off than heroin.  It is a vicious drug, and I had no idea.  How I worked for years on this drug is beyond my understanding.  No wonder I used to go to work, and do simple things until my 10:00a.m. coffee.  I was totally buzzed, and didn't have a clue.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Wow, how long have you been taking zopiclone for? I've been on them ten years, we're all here to support x
    • Posted

Maybe 6 yrs on Zopiclone but 40 years on benzo's.  Given Zopiclone because it was "not addictive."  Originally got addicted in hospital when they gave them to everyone at night. I was in four months with tough pregnancy and got hooked.  So did the baby.  He was on phenobarbital for a while.  Was in a rough marriage and that was how I managed to cope.  
  • Posted

Some very helpful details.I quit sleeping pills among other things.Yes the mind does want to stay on something,once it has a balance of sorts.Good affirmative action. Congratulations are definately in order.Wish you well.
  • Posted

Hi Cass,

Awesome story, thank you for sharing. Your honesty and determination are an inspiration! God bless x

• Posted

Thanks, see reply to Daniel above.  Also more assertive now.  Don't put up with nearly as much c&$p!  You really don't have any idea that you were not fully alert to life and feelings in general.  To be honest, I have wasted half my life, but now moving forward.  Keep trying everyone.  Don't sit as long as I did.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.