Months of Dizziness and "Floating" Feelings

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all. For just over 4 months, I've been dealing with various symptoms, and I'm trying to figure out what's causing them. Back in January, I had a sudden "jolting" feeling in my head (kind of like when you miss a step or feel like you're falling in your sleep and it jolts you awake). It lasted for just a second or two while I was reading an article on my laptop, and it really shook me up. Ever since then I've dealt with fluctuating dizziness or that feeling you get when you've been on a plane or a boat all day, then you get on solid ground but still feel as if you're moving. I also get tinnitus that comes and goes. I get it in both ears but never both ears at the same time, and it typically only lasts for less than a minute. I've not had vertigo or any spinning sensations, just the feeling of floating/swaying/rocking or general motion sickness feeling. I've not had any vomitting either. I'll have days where it really bothers me and I don't want to leave the house and then I'll have days when I feel almost 100% normal. It just depends. So far I've seen my regular doctor who had me get a CT scan with no contrast and had blood drawn, both of which came back normal. I've also seen an ENT a few times, and he had me do an audiology test which came back saying I have exceptional hearing, and the little pressure test they do in your ears also came back looking great. His guess is that I've had some sort of attack on my vestibular system that's causing all these symptoms and it's just taking a while for my body to heal itself. I expressed my concern for having Meniere's and he said that even though I have a grandmother who has it, and it's certainly a possibility, my symptoms are very atypical of a Meniere's patient and that I should not worry that I have Meniere's at this point. I'm 25 and otherwise in good health. Also, I'm writing from the U.S. If anyone has any thoughts/opinions/experiences they can share, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sounds like how mine started years ago. I had my first vetigo attack 3 years ago. Finally got diagnosed Oct 2016. Knowing what I do now I would do whatever I could back then to improve my inner ear circulation. Pine bark is a great option. It is so full of antioxidants for overall health but really works on the inner ear for circulation. You can buy at a whole foods store, gnc ect. My Grand Mothers on both sides of the family had it too. Just stay aware and check back with your ENT if you start to feel a feeling of fullness in that ear, loose hearing, or experience a vertigo attack. I am in the US as well. I hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for replying. So, you had similar symptoms to what I'm describing for years before actually experiencing vertigo attacks? That makes me very disappointed and not hopefull sad Does Pine Bark help lessen your symptoms and frequency of attacks?

• Posted

How long did the attack last? Also during the attacks, what happen to your ears? Did you ever get surgery?
    • Posted

No surgery Just taking the Pine Bark and a natural diuretic right now. I have dramumine low dose chewable if I start to get dizzy and it pulls me right out of it. The pine bark helped with that floating feeling. I feel like I have a life again.
    • Posted

Vertigo attacks were horrible and lasted a few minutes to a day. But always made me really sick. Vomiting, extreme fatigue.
  • Posted

I am concerned about the long period of time, since January.  It should not take this long for your vestibular system to adapt, at least on its own.  I am wondering if you have endolymphatic hydrops specifically affecting the otolith organs in your inner ear, which are responsible for detecting linear acceleration and not angular acceleration.  This may explain the normal audiogram. All things being equal, you would do a test called a Vestibular Evoked Myogenic Potential (VEMP), but not all centers have this.  Where are you located in the US?

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

I'm not sure what all that info means and what that condition's typical symptoms are. I am moving to NC in a couple weeks, so I'll be in the southeast.

• Posted

I recommend seeing:

Professor EG Piker,

Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina

• Posted

It sounds like endolymphatic hydrops is the same thing as Ménière's, however I've not had a vertigo attack at this point.

• Posted

Is the VEMP test where they stick like wires in your ear and on your neck and you lift your neck up a couple times and that's it?

• Posted

Yes, although the electrodes are placed on top of the skin and are non-invasive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.