Mood swings

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I've been experiencing more depressed thoughts than I usually do. And if I'm not really depressed, I'll either be so angry that you can almost see steam coming from my ears (metaphorically) or I'll find everything hilarious and I won't stop laughing. I'm meant to be seeing my therapist in a couple of weeks but I just would like some ideas on how to manage it until then because I'm starting college and I'd really like to meet new people and not annoy them as I'm in a bad mood or something. I'm also not too sure how to bring it up at the appointment as my mum just keeps shrugging it off as if it is nothing but I'm not really convinced. Any suggestions?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jemma, mood swings can be a depressive symptom and as you say you are experiencing more depressed thoughts then it's likely your mood swings are down to that, assuming your not normally a mood swing person? 

When at college and you find yourself in a bad mood you could take yourself away or try your best to join in with things.  

You should tell your therapist in the same way as you've posted here.

Neil 

• Posted

Hi Neil.

I've always had quite severe mood changes, and my mood can change quicker than a click of a finger, but they are happening more often, and I'm staying in that 'situation' for longer.

I tried taking myself away high school, but it seemed that no-one understood what I was doing and if I tried to join in, I just annoyed everyone.

I'll try to bring it up but the only issue is my mum rolling her eyes if I speak about it and that really annoys me

Jemma

• Posted

Hi Jemma - sorry to read you are having trouble. I was thinking that your age and the hormone situation could be contributing to the issue, on top of the life-long issue you have had with moods. I'm sorry that your mum isn't taking it seriously and I think there would be lot of persons on this site that can commiserate with that feeling of pain and anger and disappointment that happens when our serious problems are diminished or dismissed. Before you go to your appointment - and good on you for taking that step - write down a list, or short sentences - describing the challenges you face. You don't have to write it all at once, just keep it nearby so you can add to it over the next few weeks. It will help you express to your therapist what is happening (the therapist, by the way, won't roll his eyes, dismiss or diminish what you are saying. If he/she does, find another therapist.) You can be totally honest with him/her, and being completely open is the best use you can make of the opportunity. Also, you don't have to discuss what goes on in there with anyone. Best of luck and try not to worry.

• Posted

Hi Wayne. It is even more annoying that she has also suffered with depression, as well as many other medical problems, but instead of supporting me, she seems to try and better herself against me and make it sound like a competition. Ahhh, that does sound like a good idea! I think I may start doing that. Yeah, I know my therapist won't roll his eyes, but I don't have enough confidence to go in on my own and mum just kinda takes over the appt and she'll be the one talking the whole time, as if I'm not even there. I'm trying not to worry, but it is just difficult sometimes because of the way mum acts. And then she accuses me of assuming her mood. I don't know what to do there.

• Posted

Hi again Jemma - thanks for responding. My mother suffers depression too. I too had a childhood where any mention of illness was met with sarcasm, abuse, or dismissal. It was very cruel. Even to this day her stock response is to say "get over it." When i finally dealt with my life-long depressive disorder, she called me every name under the sun, even, perversely, saying that I must "be crazy." I realised her reaction was the culmination of different things - she didn't want to acknowledge her own illness; guilt because depression can be hereditary; jealousy because i was dealing with the situation and she didn't; hate because the illness made her look weak.

Remedies can be difficult to embark on, but there is a common denominator that is undermining you here: your Mother. The fact she is taking over the therapy session and making it all about her is very telling. Would you consider perhaps writing to the therapist outlining your concerns? You can slip it to them next time you meet. The fact is that you need one on one counselling without your mum hijacking everything to serve herself. I'm sorry to say it, but it sounds that she has put herself before you - just like my mother did. Don't give up Jemma. You deserve to be well and treated as an individual. Also, I wonder if you might approach the counsellor at your college when you get there? Perhaps even a letter of support from your therapist to open the door? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.