Moodswings driving me insane - Please help!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey, apologies if this post is really long. I was diagnosed with PCOS a few years ago and as I wasn't having regular periods, the doctor put me on the contraceptive pill. The first pill I was on was Microgynon which made me pretty loopy so I swapped to Yasmin which gave me bad headaches so I then swapped to Cilest. I was on Cilest for a while but my moods kept dropping on it and I'd cry for no reason at all etc. I then thought of the rod so the doctor put me on Cerazette to prep me for the rod and I felt fine from what I can remember but I was only on it for a short time. I was then put on the rod for roughly 9 months and as I was single and my periods totally stopped, I had the rod taken out just to have a break and I "felt the need for a period". I then met my current partner 5 months ago so I went back on Cilest. The reason I went back on Cilest was because I thought maybe the reason my moods were dropping the first time was because me and my ex weren't in a good place and seeing as I'm in a new relationship and everything in my life is pretty awesome, I assumed I'd be fine.. I was wrong! I've been a total cow bag, I argue with everyone, I cry over everything, I even argued with my best friend and we never ever argue. I'm absolutly EVIL. It seems to be happening more so the week before my period but I have had mood swings throughout the month to. I went to the doctor begging for something to be changed because I can't go on like this, the nurse practitioner then put me on anti-depressants which I'm not actually taking because I don't feel the need for them when there's people out there who are actually battling depression. I have started taking Evening Primrose Oil Capsules and Multi Vitamins, has anyone been helped by these? I just want advice on the best contraception to use for moodswings. I'd rather the pill over anything else. Also I was curious whether PCOS is a factor in these mood swings, recently ive been having abdominal cramps (like period cramps but without the bleeding) and for the past two months I've had this odorlous mucus discharge and at the very beginning of my pill free week break ive been spotting. This has never happened before, apologies again if this is disgusting haha but I have been checked twice for STI's recently and everything has been fine and normal. Also I found this PCOS information site and the symptoms on there I feel I relate to a lot lately. Such as leg cramps (I've had these for a few years and put it down to growing pains, doctor couldn't find problem) hot flushes, mood swings, tiredness.. But there was one thing that caught my eye was "out of body feeling" this sounds totally nuts but for the past few months, sometimes I feel like I'm here but my head is somewhere else and I feel totally dizzy? I haven't said this to anyone because I feel totally silly but seeing that on this forum has relieved me. Does anyone else with PCOS get these problems? It's starting to really upset me as I feel im totally getting no where with any of this. Once again I'm so sorry for the length of this but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you smile x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi lucy

Sorry to hear you are having a tough time.

it sounds like unfortunately you are experiencing typical pcos symptoms however i have never been on the pill as personally feelthat my body hormones are up and down enough without hormone induced medication. Have you considered coming off the pill and having a coil fitted? there is a coil which has no hormonal impact i had this coil for 3 years and it really suited me.

if you did decide to try the coil at least you would know if your mood swings were down to pcos or the pill?

although of course mood swings are unfortunately a pcos symptom maybe they are being worsened by hormones in your pill?

Keep us posted x

• Posted

Hi Emma. Thanks for the reply. My friend did suggest the coil but when I went online it said that it was quite painful whilst having it and painful periods? Did that happen to you? I'm going to my doctors April 17th to discuss options. I assume there is no medication for PCOS to keep it controlled other than contraception?

Thanks x

• Posted

Hi Lucy,

I sympathise with you wholeheartedly as I can relate to what you're going through.

I too have tried the evening primrose and multivitamins. Didn't do much for me personally.

I've just order loads of different things for fatigue etc so once they arrive Id be happy to update you and let you know what works.

Only recently I've been experiencing hot flushes but I have been getting mood swings, depression, fatigue, anxiety and feeling confused a lot.

If it helps, I sometimes meditate which calms me down so I can get a decent nights sleep. I'm thinking of taking up yoga too. I read that when you have PCOS, exercise is good for you. I must admit, when I used to go to the gym regularly it did help but had to stop due to other health issues.

Please keep me posted. Would be good to hear if you find any magical things to help with PCOS.

J x

• Posted

Hi thanks for the reply. Yes that would be great. It just seems recently my symptoms have worsened, especially the abdominal pain which im going to keep a track of. I just feel no one understands as I don't know anyone else with PCOS so I just wanted to hear other people's stories and how they deal with things because I just felt "it's something I have to put up with". I'm going to the doctor on April 17th so I will have a chat with her.

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it! X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.