moody hubby

Posted , 7 users are following.

my husband has type 2 diabetes diagnosed 16 mths ago ....sometimes he flies off the handle unreasonably & this is unlike him...any ideas? 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Does he test himself, because he could be having a hypo with out realising it, have a quiet word with your doctor
  • Posted

I know I get ratty when my sugars are not right, all my husband says is you need something to eat or drink and then it settles down
  • Posted

I agree with marilyn in both of her replies.  When my sugars are too high, I get very irritable.  When I'm low, I become anxious and liable to snap at anyone.

My husband noticed my personality changes early on in my diagnoses. (I am a type one on insulin.)  I didn't have sudden mood swings before diabetes.

Do take marilyn's advice and check with your health team.

Good luck, (I know sometimes my husband needs it.)

Cheers,

Pamela

• Posted

Hi Andrea

One of the side effects of Diabetes is that it makes the person short tempered and they become easily irritable...Probably his blood sugar is out of control. I suggest that he checks his b/s levels daily before and after foods to see what is happening with different foods consumed. Bad moods can also be triggered by low b/s..hope this helps...

• Posted

thank you that really helps but he won't be advised so am at a loss right now...i am convalescing after major surgery myself & am struggling as can't even get my own space right now ...hohum life eh x
  • Posted

Agree with all other replies. I also found my husband was like this in the first year of his diagnosis. I think the reality hit him that this is with him for the rest of his life, and he was quite depressed.
    • Posted

ok ....i will try & be patient ....thank you for everyone's replies x
    • Posted

People tend to forget that type 2 is not just a physical problem - it causes loads of emotional stuff that can sometimes be difficult to deal with.  The why me when everyone else can eat whatever they like, resentment of having to watch what you eat and drink all the time,  the mental intrusiveness of all the medical tests, that you feel everyone who knows is watching whatever you do eat and judging - I could go on...  The best remedy is for he himself to be properly informed on diet etc so he makes his own choices and takes back his power and doesn't rely on others.  I found the best sources of info were low GI or GL books.  Also take supplements to help correct his imbalances.
    • Posted

thank you .... he hasn't told people he has it just me ...he has been to Desmonds twice but i don't feel he eats & drinks as he should as i know 3 other diabetics....he won't talk about issues to me or anyone which is really putting a strain on us :-(
    • Posted

So sorry to hear that.  He is really very angry with the world and himself I expect for getting ill - the problem is you can't tell that you're ill as mostlyits all blood tests etc so that in itself is a problem.  Patrick Holford's writes some good books which maybe you can your husband to read himself.

• Posted

Everybody is different but I find I am prone to bad moods (anger, frustration, irritation) when my blood sugars are running high. Alternatively when my levels are low I tend to feel lethargic, sad and hopeless.

Its a big deal for your body to cope with these fluctuations in level and is not normal. Maybe have a talk with your husband and raise your concerns about his moods (try to reflect on how its not nice for him to experience these mood swings as oposed to you, you dont want him to feel cornered.)

Good luck smile

• Posted

Diabetes affects not only the patient but their family, friends and even their working companions.  It is not unusual for family members to seek professional advice about how they can cope with this change in their loved one.  

My health team told me this.  Diabetes is a serious, life changing illness. This first step one might feel is anger at the loss of the freedom of life choices.  I know that I was very angry in the beginning.  Very into my feelings and not aware of the affect that I was having on my family and friends. I gradually came out of it.  

Your husband seems to be at this stage.  Hopefully in time he'll move on to acceptance and seek help.

If you are recovering from a major surgery, you need to concentrate on your own health.  Heal and get better.

Take care,

Pamela

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.