Moon Face

Posted , 12 users are following.

Okay, so. I've been on 10mg of prednisolone for 2 months or so and my moon face was barely noticeable. Then, I had to amp up my dosage and was on 20mg for another 2 months. I'm currently off it now (it's been 3 months since i've discontinued the drug), but I cant see my moon face reversing at all! I still look like a balloon. I read that loads of people start to lose their moon face after stopping the drug, but how long is mine gonna take to go away? And can the moon face ,in some cases, not go away at all? 

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Haven't come across anyone where it never went away - but it is possible you may need to add a bit of effort, it may not just go away on its own. Did you put on a lot of weight while on the high dose pred? Cutting carbs often helps your body dispose of fat depositis and using less salt helps with any fluid contribution.

• Posted

Thank you for replying! I only put on about 2-3 kilos and I imediately lost them, and now i'' back to my normal weight. It's just my face that still looks puffy/swollen when I smile. But, I will try to get my eating right to help it. 

• Posted

Don't despair, my experience is that it WILL go away, and I was on a much higher dose than you.  It won't happen overnight, but it will.  Fortunately, I am down to 1.5mg. and will reduce to 1mg. next week (very slowly).  I had been down to 3mg. several months ago and had a flair, but this time so far so good.  I really think I don't have PMR anymore!?!?  But am aware it could surface again.  Hang in there, your face will "recover!"    Elinor

• Posted

Elijo,

How long have you been on Prednisone to get down this low?

• Posted

Elijo - I'm curious about what the dosage was when you started to notice the weight loss ?

• Posted

Hi Poupe,  I

I've been on pred for over 2 1/2 years starting at a high dose.  When tapering I had to be careful espec. around 7 and 8 mg.  Had a flair at 3 mg. several months ago, but will be on 1 mg. in a couple days, so far I feel great!  (when I got under 5 mg. the tapering was very slow).  Good liuck to you, how many mg. are you on?  Elinor

• Posted

Hi Scotth,  I didn't experience weight loss, I experienced losing my moon face.((when I was taking less than  20).  I have stayed about 10 lbs. heavier since I started pred 2 1/2 years ago.  My doctor is not concerned, I look good (so I'm told).My doctor originally started me on 40mg. so I have come a loing way!  Good luck to you!     Elinor

• Posted

Been on prednisone for a year and at 7mg tapering slowly to 6 1/2.   Flare a little so slow down the taper again.   I have gained weight which is so disappointing.  
  • Posted

Loveispizza, I gained 20 plus pounds on 30 mg and had a delightful moon face. Lost the 20 plus pounds and what no my moon face. Still on 7 mg of Prednisone.
    • Posted

I didnt gain loads of weight on the medication, but it was just my face that swelled up I guess. I will try losing weight and getting the eating right to get it to go away. thanks for replying; and good luck on your journey with pred smile.
    • Posted

Thank you loveispizza, try to stay active, positive and smiling. I do it helps. ☺️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.