Morbidly Obese and Fed up

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi folks,

well I have decided to write this to try and encourage myself to lose weight. I am UK based and morbidly obese. In all tryth I could do with losing 12 stn!

The problem is I am very much an emotional eater. if I am sad or bored then I eat.

I did manage to lose 10 st on Slimming World a few years ago but then put it all back when I was told quite bluntly "well yr still technically obese" just when I was feeling good about myself.

So yes, I am a classic emotional eater.

At the moment I am trying to have a small breakfast, then mainly fruit and salad during the day with a pasta based evening meal (mainly coz hubby cooks and he likes pasta). I am also logging everything I eat or drink during the day (which is averaging at <2000 cals).

Part of me is considering whether to try for bariatric surgery but something about it scares me. I did the vlcd for a few weeks before I had my gallbladder removed so I know I can do it.

But there might be a light at the end of the tunnel. I am currently waiting for the results of a thyroid blood test (and they are checking for diabetes also). Thinking rationally I have around 2/3 of the std symptoms for thyroid and none of the diabetesones so I am reasonably sure they will not find me to be type 2 diabetic.

So here goes - I will try to keep this updated.

Tomorrow I want to move my scales onto a concrete floor - in the bathroom the weights vary by plus/minus several stone!

So, once I get a starting point I will try to keep a weekly log of progress.

Wish me luck!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

HIYa, you certainly come across as committed and having lost 10 ATM previously you're also successful, hats off to you

I've recently had a gastric band op and it's working for me but I can say that it's no walk in the park and as with everything you can 'give up'. It's going to work for me this time I'm sure because I've tackled what to do when the emotional monster appears and to help with that I've had a course of solution focused Hypnotherapy to get me in the right frame of mind and to use the relaxation techniques when I reach for the fridge. There was Hypnotherapy advertised for gastric band sessions. It I felt it was me I needed to get in order not just my stomach 😇I truly believe that until you have that coping mechanism in place it's a self loathing journey , when in fact it's a new chapter. I hope you get something from this, even though it's just my inane waffle which I can happily blame on lack of food😆

• Posted

Hi folks,

I am back. Well i guess I have had good news. My blood tests came back as mostly normal. No call back on diabetes or thyroid.

But I have to go asnd see the doc abotu a couple of results (including cholesterol) so I suspect I am going to get the "lose weight" lecture.

As long as she doesn't prescribe me damned Orlistat again. I had it before for a few months, didn't lose any weight but flopped from mad dashes to the loo (if I ate any fats) to extreme stomach pains (if went fat free). WHatever she wants to say she did say it wasn't urgent so I am not worried.

If she wants to talk bariatric surgery I am ready to listen as I am so sick and tired of looking and feeling like this.

I have just irdered a new set of bathroom scales. The old ones werre digital and never gave the same result 2 times! So I have ordered a set of Salter analog scales (doctors style).

Now the weather is a bit better and my brken toe is healed I am going to start nighty walks around my village. We have a nice 1 mile route we can do that is pleasant and has a couple of small hills to climb.

Also have decided tonight is the last night of my old life so I am hasving a G and T and a pizza. As of tomorrow I am off alcohol and the pizza frequency will go from weekly to monthly.

So from this weekend I will be logging my weight and hopefully will be able to report a loss next week!

L

• Posted

Hi LellyM,

Congratulations on your results, that's great news. I wanted to wish you the best of luck with your weight loss - you sound very determined which is a great start!

You mentioned that the problem is that you are an emotional eater. I wonder, would it be worth tackling these emotions as well?  

For instance, if you are bored, could you do something engaging that will take your mind off food (i.e. get a fixed landline phone in your house and phone a friend whenever you are bored, so you are literally rooted to spot for the time you are on the call?)

In terms of sadness, is there someone you could share your feelings with - problem shared and all that instead of eating?

Lastly, I was reading before that small breakfasts and lunches cause you to be hungry later on in the evening when all the food has been cooked and cleaned up. So the easiest thing to eat then is snacks, which is where we get the extra pounds. Apparently, the best way to avoid this is to have a filling breakfast like porridge and a decent lunch to reduce the hunger pangs you are getting later on.

Best of luck again

A

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.