More Advice needed!

Posted , 12 users are following.

I'm post 19 weeks my partial knee replacement.  Had a MUA 6 weeks out and immediately got 120 degrees.  My physician said he got it to 139 degrees but I'm still stuck!

The pain is rough and my knee throbs in pain all day, any advice?  I'm taking 1 Tramadol 3-4 times a week to deal with the pain.  I'm looking into getting a second opinion.  

I'm only 42 yrs old and healthy, having a really hard time recovering.  In PT 3 times a week and still have a bad limp with my walk and after being worked over for the hour I'm able to reach 127 degrees bend.  I'm being released from PT next week and really scarred!!

Am I crazy, does this need more time?  Will the pain ever stop??

Thanks for your input!!

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Tramadol. .3- 4 a week. ..?. Should you not be taking it daily for the pain?. .take the pain control before it gets out of control. It sounds to me you are doing fantastic. ..wow if I got a bend like that I would be thrilled. Stay positive. ...I should practice what I preach.
  • Posted

Hi. I am just 3 months after having total knee replacement and i am in awful pain today, some days are better, i exercise i also have physio and i ice 3/4 times a day, i am on gabapenten and shortec and co-codamol but nothing eases the pain? as you can see i am up now because i cant sleep and its the nights that are worse, my surgeon is happy with my progress and doesn't want to see me again for 10 months, i just don't know what to do some days, perhaps I am on the wrong tablets, these tablets helped when i first had my op but now i dont know my doctor isn't very helpful? I will just have to struggle on as they do say after 3 months the pain does ease, max

• Posted

I wish I had answers!!  Really hope your pain gets better, it’s rough and I’m in the same boat. 

• Posted

I am currently wien off the gabipenton as I felt it was adding to my craziness. ..the pharmacy said it can play tricks with your head. When I started to wien I noticed less swelling within a couple days. ....I don't have answers talk to your doc...maybe this may help. This knee stuff seems to be a guessin game and really plays on the head. ..stay positive. .

• Posted

Thanks Chris, I only take gabapenten at night and only one tablet, i am thinking of stopping it but worried my pain might increase as they say once you are on top of the pain keep taking the tablets and to be honest i was in terrible pain like others are, my doctor isn't very helpful, all they want to do is stop you taking tablets to save them money, they are not the ones in pain, i was taking back into hospital because my knee was on fire and the ambulance driver gave me gas and air i asked him where can i buy a couple of bottles from as the pain went in seconds lol, its hard to know what is best to take for the pain, i remember my surgeon saying i will wake up one morning and the pain will be gone the trouble is he didn't say which year, i am trying to stay positive as i know others are in pain, thanks Max

• Posted

Your ROM is great.  I'm 19 weeks post op and I don't have that.  I don't know where you live but I live in USA and went to Flexogenix other day and had a Nerve Dissection Treatment and had immediate pain relief.

• Posted

I’m in the United States, I’ll ask my doctor if it’s nerve pain. Thanks for the feedback. 
  • Posted

Hi Chris 

I am two years POPKR. 

Are you maybe over doing it ?

It took me a good year and a half to feel really healed . Even know if I do to much it can swell .

Your Bend is great . I would just think about if your doing to much and of course must ice , ice , ice .

All the best ! 

Debbie 

• Posted

You may be doing too much? Do less, rest more, ice and elevate a couple of times a day, and see if that makes a difference.
  • Posted

That appears to be 2 much pain for that far out from surgery. I would suggest a couple of things. 2 or three days of complete rest, ice and elevate. You may be overdoing the exercise without realize it. When return ing to exercise start slowly. Look at Chico Marx comments as he much of this stuff nailed. Remember it takes upwared of a year to say the prosthesis is yours and you own it. If you give it some loving care and it refuses to behave, another look is differently in order and another doc wouldn't be a bad idea

• Posted

19 weeks and your still in pain is not unusual, I would think if you compared the pain from when you first had the surgery to now you would have to admit it does feel better. As far as you ROM there are some who never get that far I have been lucky after 5 TKR's on the same knee I can get approx 132 (do not remember exactly ). You have to keep in mind that if you over do it you will feel it and there is a chance your over doing it? I am not one to talk since my situation is different in some cases it can take a year before you are back to normal and even then you may still feel pain. I am over 2 years PO and if I over do it I can hardly walk but then again I am scheduled for another revision shortly. Yes I know it hurts it will get better just be patient.

• Posted

can you explain an MUA?  I haven't had a TKR done yet, and keep seeing this mentioned.  Sounds scary!

TIA, Jan

• Posted

I havnt had a MU A. But it stands for manipulation under anesthesia .  U r out to sleep and doc bends and bends your leg to break up scar tissue.  I told my ortho doc I had M with out the anesthesia at my PT.  I would scream and cry when she bended my knee back,  I finally one day told her no more!!  Hope you never have to have it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.