More advice needed on overactive thyroid....is doc right??

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys this is the first time i have posted on here so bare with me.Ill give you some background first. My babys daddy and I split when I was pregnant for many reasons but mostly for his terrible mood swings and carefree attitude. We obviously still have close contact and are still in love but can't be together sad If i say somethings black he says its white. He can be very aggressive and sometimes scary and i don't want that round our daughter (Although hes a great dad) Anyway after years of being underweight and lethargic ect he finally went to docs and came back he has an overactive thyroid. I wasnt with him at the time but the doc has told him that they wont do anything until his next blood test in 6 months time rolleyes I know that he would not have told the doc about his mood swings ect as most of the time he is in denial! I just want him to get on meds asap!! I work in a hospital and have been doing lots of research and also read that many sufferers of this are also bipolar (which i am convinced he is!) I know there is a great guy inside because he hasn't always been like this. I just want to be a happy family with our baby girl but this won't happen anytime soon with the docs saying 6 months until they do anything. just wish i could talk to the gp and explain......any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks for reading x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your problems.  Men are not good at being ill.  Is there anyway you can go to the doctors with him so you can explain how his mood is affected.  That's providing he lets you of course.  I think he needs treatment sooner rathger than later but men are such difficult patients.  You could contact the doctors yourself I suppose but that doesn't help with treatment if he's not to get checked again for 6 months.   You are trying to help but if all this fails I don't see what you can do as you can't live someone's life for them.  Perhaps someone else has an idea. 
  • Posted

It is difficult to say what happened to him when he was seen by doc as you weren't there. Also, his health is his problem, not yours and he needs to take responsibility for it, not you. Many hyperthyroid patients have multiple physical and emotional problems because of the hyperthyroidism and when it is addressed, those problems do disappear. However, even patients who are put on antithyroid medications have correction of some physical problems such as fast heartbeat and sweating but still do not feel well emotionally until they add some supplements found in health food stores. He needs to be the one that is posting to this Board, not you. What I am seeing in you is what I see in spouses of alcoholics which is Co-dependency. You need to get support to put the focus on yourself and learn how to set boundaries and take care of yourself emotionally, not how to fix him. When you change, things will change between you and him. You can find this support by looking in the phone book or online for an Al-Anon group meeting or a CODA group meeting. You might mention to him, he can find support on this Board for his hyperthyroidism problem and then let it go and focus on yourself and your needs. I know this wasn't the advice you were searching for when you posted to this Board but it is absolutely essential that he take responsiiblity for himself and his illness.
  • Posted

Hi Kirsty

I don't think waiting for 6 months for meds for Hyperthyroidism will help with the bi Polar. I'm hyperthyroid and have been on carbimazole and that causes depression, so I can't see that it would be a good idea to wait for the medication. My husband is bi-polar and it took about 20 years before anyone took him seriously, so if I were you I would find a doctor in your surgery that has experience with depression, make an appointment for your baby's daddy, even if you have to drag him there (as I did my husband) and get that treated asap; before he goes on the carbimazole.

I hope that doesn't sound too negative, but once sorted you will find that the "nice person underneath" re-appears.

• Posted

Thank you soo much glennis99709 he actually booked himself an appointment last week with his gp without me even pushing him, I went along with him. They think it could be depression rolleyes I believe its more than that though. He has a follow up next week where im hoping they will put him on some anti d's. I would love to get that nice person back.....its been years since ive seen him sad

Thank you for all your advice xx

• Posted

Kirsty, I am sorry you are in your current situation. I will say that have ing been diagnosed with a hyperthyroid 1.5 years ago, it completely changed how I handled situations.  I was always a happy go lucky girl and this caused me to lash out at my husband for no real reason.  Little things would set me off.  I researched what was going on with me only to realize that this can be a by product of a hyper thyroid.  Some people actually feel rage, which I did not.  In some ways, he can't help it.  I did see this happening to me and made a concerted effert to stop it in it's tracks when I found myself wanting to bite his head off.  It did take self control.  I do think that he needs to see another Dr ASAP.  Waiting 6 months is waaaaay too long.  Why 6 months?  He could actually be getting his blood drawn every 4-6 weeks right now to see if the medication is helping.  I eventually had to have my thyroid totally removed, surgically, this past April.  It has been 3 months since and I feel great.  I don't have the mood swings anymore and have tons of energy and the surgery was a snap to recover from.  It was definitely the way to go.  I just take synthroid every day now since my thyroid is out it is like a hypo(underactive) thyroid now.  I hope your baby's daddy gets another opinion soon.  He doesn't have to live like this.  Hopefully he can get back to a normal quality of life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.