More Advice Please

Posted , 3 users are following.

Can anyone help with advice on what alcohol has less affect than others , I had 2 bottles of beer on Friday evening but felt the effects on Saturday morning with loose BM.

I have not tried any spirits since my attack just over 4 weeks ago and am wondering if anyone has found something that is generally less of a problem although I know pretty much everything will have an effect of some sort.

I know its quite soon after my attack but things had settled down a bit and thought I would try it to see what happened.

I am thinking it may be the gas in the beer causing the issue so may try some with a little less fizz?

Any advice would help as I would like to be able to have a drink on occasions.  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I drink whiskey and ice with no noticeable effects. That said, I drink regularly but not every day ( 4 or 5 out of 7), and generally only one unit per day, occasionally 2 (measured). I don't tolerate wine well and it is easy to take more than a unit of wine without realising so I give it a miss.

• Posted

Thank you , I think its going to be a bit of trial and error.

I don't drink regular so can go without a drink for a couple of weeks but then have quite a few on an evening out so am looking for something which will be less effective on my condition which I think I may be clutching at straws to find.

• Posted

Hi Rusty!  I am 3 months out from attack number 2, and I was petrified to have a cocktail!  My husband makes great Manhattans and Old Fashions, and I was missing them. Turns out, I can have one and be totally fine!  So it seems Bourbon, Whisky, and Rye are OK. I only have one though. But it does me just fine! He also makes a fantastic Tequila Old Fashion! Uses a wonderful double aged Tequila, aged in Whisky barrels, smokey flavor. I sound like a lush, but I am a one drink girl, once or twice a week.  I cannot drink beer, haven't been able to for years, headache and upset tummy.  I have no idea why, but I can't eat much wheat anymore either, same thing happens along with some other stuff.   Digestion has gotten very tricky the older I get (I'm 50)  I hope you find an adult beverage that works for you, I find my one drink very relaxing and civilized. Cheers!

• Posted

Thank you ,  I do love Bourbon but generally with a mixer coke or lemonade where the gas and fizz becomes as issue . The cocktails sound great as well.

I was a bit of a session drinker having 6+ pints in an evening out every other week until 4 weeks ago so all this has come as a big shock to me as all my friends will continue this way , I was out with them on Friday and went home early as they were all out till much later as I could not face drinking squash etc. 

I drink lager normally but might try a bitter are pale ale as it its less gassier.

Kind Regards

Rusty

I am 56 so may find something that does not have an impact on my digestion very tricky.     

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.