More Awareness Please

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi all, just thought I would make a post as there are a lot of New folks here that are having real doubts and fears about the operation, worried about going Private or NHS, silly really as you get the same surgeon and a huge saving on the operation, but you don't have to wait so long, that's for sure. Unsure as to how much time they will need to take off from work, and what they will need. Leg lengths..Lots of deep personal regrets and a little self recriminating. rolleyes

"Did I run just too many Marathons ?" "Did I do too much hill walking?"

Tears of "Why was I so so stupid when I was younger"  cry

I know that I felt terrible, and tearful, very depressed, in Jan this year, and that spread like cancer to my dear wife Sandy, we had to get a grip and get over that awful moment between us and get on with it, once I had had the correct diagnosis made.  eek  cool

I see the same thing every week lately, misdiagnoses' trying to pin the pain down, as to what is causing the pain,  when all folks really needed was an X-ray to show up any damage that they are currently doing to themselves or already done, so that they get the opportunity to take evasive action to the training that they have taken up.

So I assume, we are getting more, and more THR all the time in younger people.

We listen to the experts and take up a more healthy lifestyle, myself included, we seem to be overdoing the training to make ourselves fitter and stronger, than we really need to be and now paying the price.

It is a very big and expensive operation, and those of us with advanced Osteoarthritis, will need two operations. There are risks that you have to sign your name to before they go ahead with it. People should read the medical form as they sign it so they do know the risks.  cool

Not having it done is not really any way out, as the condition worsens you will become a pavement shuffler or join the " Ministry Of Silly Walks.."  lol  rolleyes

Worse...End up unable to walk at all.  frown

They are cancelling lots of operations now for various reasons, I was cancelled twice, and nearly a third time as they thought I was drinking too much.   eekquestionfrown

A holier than though sister thought I was the devil himself the way she looked at me and sent in an alcohol related nurse to interview me and check my shaking hands, three times in the 30 min interview, not that I shake at all, they seemed to think that I should shake...exclaim

He spoke to me as if I was a true alcoholic, but reflecting the questions back at him I got some really doleful guilty sole searching eyes, looking right back at me.  rolleyes  rolleyes

"I don't drink like you do..." was all I said.  cool

Whereas I am far from that, I do not drink to excess ever, I see too much of that at work. This interview was arranged, just because I had a can of beer on the morning of my operation at 630 am with my light breakfast, so be careful what you say on the PreOp.   idea  exclaim

They will only help you if they feel that you quality of life, in real terms can be restored.

But the rewards are to be totally free from pain, able to walk again, and get your life back, if perhaps a little limited, or restricted to quite what it was before the OA started, but, from the start of it, unless it has gone a long way already, as mine had done, you all will have had at least three years of suffering before they will operate.

Perhaps there needs to be more awareness made to the public on the TV about the excess of exercise, as they already do with Alcohol, and Sugar+ Salt intakes as there is nothing on the TV to warn anyone off of excessive training, and Marathon Running.   idea  cool

Well folks a Rant and a Story...Hope you enjoyed my thoughts and I am interested to hear more from anyone who has read my piece here soon.

Kind regards and faster healing..... Ian.   idea

5 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

thankyou Ian   I found that very interesting  and honest

..yes a lot to take on board,   as I left the consulltant last week I asked him about exercise  and he said  swimming, walking and very surprisingly  slow jogging???    I cant imagine doing that one   with pain?  

Im sorry  it must be difficult  when been a keen jogger, I was a keen jiver for ten years and I used a certain style which put a lot of pressure on hip for sure,   I feel Im paying for this now,  it just felt comfortable but had I known I would have stopped that step!    I wish  doesnt help, because Ive learned to pace now after being sent to Pain Clinic  it will be great to flow once again!

regards and best wishes

• Posted

Let me put it this way 18 months later.

sure it was a real Bitch when the nurse put the IV in wrong which meant I came back to my room after surgery and when the anesthesia on my leg wore off the next day I effectively had no pain medication. I remember being in so much pain the next day I begged my husband to bring me a gun so I could shoot myself. Think about it you, have a THR and afterwords NO PAIN MEDICATION. Then when they found the big pool of liquid ( the pain med) on the floor next to my bed and sorted it out and fixed the IV and gave me morphine, I about passed out from the morohine. 

Next up was Tramadol, a pain medication that gave my psychotic hulk inactions, in my hallucinations I was killing myself to save my son, then I got home and thankfully my GP gave me Codein which worked excellent. The hospital food was inedible and no patient Internet for 7 DAYS.

Then I got ilopsoas tendinitis a fe days after getting home but that healed up in about 3 1/2 weeks. After all of that between week 4 & 5 I started walking and in a matter of days threw away my crutches, never to use them again.

Even after all,of that it was still worth it.  After 18 months yes I still " feel" it, no pain really, but I feel it and I guess I always will. But my life is so very very very much better, I would do it all over again. Most people have some ups and downs, just get through them and eventually, some people sooner, and for some people later, but eventually at least 98% of us are way way way much better.  What choice did I have really? Stay like I was, in pain and basically home bound or suck it up, go in and take what may but reach for a normal life? Unlike in the UK, in France I didn't need to get any doctors approval or wait, I saw the surgeon, I tried the shot in the hip ( it only gave relief for a month) then I went back to the surgeon and scheduled the THR. His schedule was pretty full so I had to wait a month. My life is much much better now. If you think about it, what is the alternative? 

• Posted

I Jodi, in France, there is no alternative, but I see many dropouts in Blackpool with Crutches, and pavement shufflers who need something doing but cannnot get sorted out because of drink related or drug related problems in their lives, and the NHS will not operate on these people, that is the point I am also raising. 

I have never halucinated on Tramadol though people say theat they do have that effect. 

Kind regards Ian.

• Posted

I know what you mean about pavement shufflers...when I see someone walking like a drunken sailor I think..hey ho I know what is wrong with you as I walk like that sometimes.

​Alice

• Posted

....poor you Jodi!!  think in GB you only in for 2 days,       pleased  at last has come!     enjoy!      xx
    • Posted

ouch ouch couh!  Rather wish I hadn't read the first bit as still have op to come next week.  But hey ho...sleepless night ahead I suspect.....I will go to make some horlicks!

Alice

• Posted

Wonderful encouraging post, Ian. I am with you on the fact we cannot go back and undo whtat we have done as young ones. We can make our lives healthier without killing ourselves in the process. there is so much back and forth on how to eat, waht to eat, how to exercise. No right answers except to use common sense and be so aware of our bodies that we know wha tis best for our particular body. I ran when I was young, worked in a job that put a lot of physical strain on my body, ate in a unhealthy way. Also stumbeled about with a bad hip for years and maybe was mistaken for drinking too much because of it although I donot drinkcheesygrin I would not advise anyone to put the surgery off as all you would be doing is not getting the full use of your time on earth and missing so much that you may regret. This group has been so good for me and I believe for many others. Thank you all.

Junr

• Posted

Dear Ian -

Thank you for sharing your thoughts ... Interesting how they treated you though ..

Ah, but Ian, awareness regarding the risks of THR or TKR or whatever??  of course, excess of anything is not good - but what excess is to me is probably (for sure) different than Mic's opinion ....  

I could not believe when I was diagonosed with "severe osteoarthiritis" ... who?

me?   ... funny how we immediately start looking for something we must have done to cause this ... it does not run in my family (that i know of, but then some of them passed away at 65 !) ; I went to the gym, walked, hiked and was pretty active without excess of anything - I did not jog as it made me uncomfortable (bouncing boobs) and left me with sore muscles ... was pretty flexible and limber too - 

Soooo, maybe I should have done more???? 

I don't know .... 

these are my thoughts ... it happens and it sucks when it does - but we have a choice and there is a solution - for that I am grateful ...

I love you big guy

renee

• Posted

I was told that my arthritis came from my parents producing me - in other words inherited. Where do these things start?There was nobody in the family that I know of who had it! Nevertheless all four of us now have some indications so it must be true. I had my right hip done last Wednesday and was home on Saturday. That awful, debilitating pain has gone. Yes, there's some healing pain and sleeplessness but I'm so happy it's done! I have nothing but praise for the nursing staff and surgeon who looked after me so well. So stop wondering why you have it and concentrate on getting better and getting your life back!
  • Posted

A very insightful post there, Ian. Thank you.

I know that my problems stem from carrying too much weight and partly genetic (my mum suffered the same) but her many comorbidities didn't allow for surgery. Maybe now they would have done it for her with the advent of spinal and sedation but she wouldn't have survived a GA of that size.

Also, I was a bit of a party animal in my time and had many falls under the affluence of incahol which probably also added to my problem.

I think we just have to live life as we think best whilst not going completely mad. I managed to get through without any alcohol or drug addictions etc and ended up quite proud of who I turned out to be (I'm sure mum used to despair when I fell in yet again, inebriated) but you know what? If we didn't do everything the 'experts' say we shouldn't do we wouldn't eat anything, drink anything and would probably never leave the house!!  Life is for the living and I feel I have been given a second chance and will grab it with both hands. I don't drink a lot now, don't smoke, eat relatively sensibly, get lots of sleep and will give these new hips of mine the best of the years I have left, of which I hope I have a few.

I have been struggling on painkillers since 2008 and wish I had done this sooner. I will now always advise anyone in my predicament to go for it. Life is too precious and too short to live it in grinding, debilitating pain.

Good luck to all on this path, may they gain from it what they hope to.

Ali xx

• Posted

Hi Ian

A great precis of pre and post op.

Your posts always informative and appreciated.

• Posted

Hi

I have wondered it there is anything in it that personality type  has anythihng to do with OA        emotions  vs  the physical body,     read about it once   -    the type of person called  'A'  types seemed more predisposed?    quite  an interesting thought, that   the emotions need to go somewhere so if not gotten out,  thejy affect  inwardly, as in any dis-ease  of the body

px

• Posted

Wow ....Now there is a thing that needs more research and a thourough questioneer to participating patients that needs to be drawn up by experts in that field.

Well it is a start, to help the suffering of the next generation of people who could stave it off with a different mind set about themselves, I am all for that if it ever happens.

Great observation, perhape great things can happen from one small post on the internet....

Ian.

• Posted

Dear Ian, Pauline,

Yes, research clearly needed! Myers Briggs personality type exercise on one hand, and on the other medics should NOT say' NICE guidelines suggest....' and say contradictory things.

Have anice day -tis finally sunny!

Mic

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.