More Awareness Please

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi all, just thought I would make a post as there are a lot of New folks here that are having real doubts and fears about the operation, worried about going Private or NHS, silly really as you get the same surgeon and a huge saving on the operation, but you don't have to wait so long, that's for sure. Unsure as to how much time they will need to take off from work, and what they will need. Leg lengths..Lots of deep personal regrets and a little self recriminating. rolleyes

"Did I run just too many Marathons ?" "Did I do too much hill walking?"

Tears of "Why was I so so stupid when I was younger"  cry

I know that I felt terrible, and tearful, very depressed, in Jan this year, and that spread like cancer to my dear wife Sandy, we had to get a grip and get over that awful moment between us and get on with it, once I had had the correct diagnosis made.  eek  cool

I see the same thing every week lately, misdiagnoses' trying to pin the pain down, as to what is causing the pain,  when all folks really needed was an X-ray to show up any damage that they are currently doing to themselves or already done, so that they get the opportunity to take evasive action to the training that they have taken up.

So I assume, we are getting more, and more THR all the time in younger people.

We listen to the experts and take up a more healthy lifestyle, myself included, we seem to be overdoing the training to make ourselves fitter and stronger, than we really need to be and now paying the price.

It is a very big and expensive operation, and those of us with advanced Osteoarthritis, will need two operations. There are risks that you have to sign your name to before they go ahead with it. People should read the medical form as they sign it so they do know the risks.  cool

Not having it done is not really any way out, as the condition worsens you will become a pavement shuffler or join the " Ministry Of Silly Walks.."  lol  rolleyes

Worse...End up unable to walk at all.  frown

They are cancelling lots of operations now for various reasons, I was cancelled twice, and nearly a third time as they thought I was drinking too much.   eekquestionfrown

A holier than though sister thought I was the devil himself the way she looked at me and sent in an alcohol related nurse to interview me and check my shaking hands, three times in the 30 min interview, not that I shake at all, they seemed to think that I should shake...exclaim

He spoke to me as if I was a true alcoholic, but reflecting the questions back at him I got some really doleful guilty sole searching eyes, looking right back at me.  rolleyes  rolleyes

"I don't drink like you do..." was all I said.  cool

Whereas I am far from that, I do not drink to excess ever, I see too much of that at work. This interview was arranged, just because I had a can of beer on the morning of my operation at 630 am with my light breakfast, so be careful what you say on the PreOp.   idea  exclaim

They will only help you if they feel that you quality of life, in real terms can be restored.

But the rewards are to be totally free from pain, able to walk again, and get your life back, if perhaps a little limited, or restricted to quite what it was before the OA started, but, from the start of it, unless it has gone a long way already, as mine had done, you all will have had at least three years of suffering before they will operate.

Perhaps there needs to be more awareness made to the public on the TV about the excess of exercise, as they already do with Alcohol, and Sugar+ Salt intakes as there is nothing on the TV to warn anyone off of excessive training, and Marathon Running.   idea  cool

Well folks a Rant and a Story...Hope you enjoyed my thoughts and I am interested to hear more from anyone who has read my piece here soon.

Kind regards and faster healing..... Ian.   idea

5 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

e.g.    psiriosis pposedly    good example as known as a stress thing  showing on the skin, supposedly  asthma is a deeper level of the same family?  
  • Posted

yes   exactly      Ive always held these thoughts as we are, afterall, made up of mind soul and body all linked up and intermingled..........so cross with self Iv succombed!  its called life  tee-hee      being hard task master is one in itself!   cancer thinking also eats away at you,  but NOT in all cases naturally, MANY FACTORS)  good little book on this! quite interesting
  • Posted

Hi Ian . When I asked the question "Why me "on here, I kind of got told off. I just meant that I had no hereditary factor and have led a healthy lifestyle no high impact sports no being very overweight. Have sister 81and 84 with good hips. So it is just one of life's mysteries. Having worked with people with disabilities, I should remember that some of the healthiest people are struck down with illnesses.So we can only continue to do our best Ian and no beer for breakfast. Smiley face..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.