More depressed than ever!!

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have 4+3 prostate cancer....

Had a radical prostectimy a few weeks ago....

Unfortunately my PSA reading was 0.16 straight after on the first PSA test after surgery. ..

I have been advised radiotherapy and hormone treatment. ...

I feel like this is the beginning of the end... I was hoping for undetectable for a few years.

How rare is it for surgery not to work like it hasn't for me?

2 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Have read your concerns and the discussion and empathize.

I am in a similar boat. After a Gleason 9 (4 + 5), I've had a radical prostatectomy in early October (Robotic surgery - Da Vinci, the benefits of which seem to be true). First PSA test after some six weeks came out at 0.42. Another six weeks later it's up to 1,34. My urologist wants to treat it with hormonal injections every three months. Reading some of the comments, the side effects do not seem to be too bad... (?).

My question is, are there other options? Also, if the cancer has spread, where has it spread to? Are there ways of establishing this?  

But I agree with the sentiments that (a) trust your doctor(s), (b) staying positive is important and (c) one must just carry on with one's life and do the things one still wants to do (I'm 76).

• Posted

In addition to everything others have said, there are so many positive  things in the pipeline relative to treatment and medication that this disease will be treated much differently in a few years. 
    • Posted

That sure is true. There is Proton Beam Therapy for a start. While this is old news in the US, it won't be available in Great Britain and Australia until 2018. Korea yes and many other places.

The best PCa treatment I've heard of is the virus that Methodist Hospital in Texas are trialling that tricks the body into eliminating the cancer.

I am sure others will emerge.

In the meantime, my Gleason 4+4 (8) means I will soon have a Robotic-assisted Radical Prostatectomy. Even though MRI and body scans indicate the cancer is localised, one never knows ... as many contributors here indicate.

Here's to good outcomes for all of us.

• Posted

The bad thing is that so many men suffer from PC and the good thing is so many men suffer from PC. Enormous profits will lead to new and more effective treatments perhaps a cure and a vaccine.
    • Posted

Yes indeed. But we also have to help ourselves. I was experiencing nocturia and urgency for a pee, which based on my GP's digital rectal examination suggested my prostate had moderate enlargement. I self- diagnosed a PAE was needed as the medicos here in my part of Oz had not heard of it. Off I flew to Sydney for a pre-operative MRI and pelvic CT Scan.

Back came the nasty result PI-RADS 4 which my GP didn't have the courtesy to ring me about. The symptoms I mentioned were due to a bladder stone that has now been removed. I have never felt better and sleep right through.

The moral for me is to take charge and get many opinions. You might get it wrong like I did, but still live longer than might have been the case if you listen to GPs who know bugger all, and care even less. Harsh words, but my experience is not unique.

• Posted

Hi bobbyk,

I'm a perfect example of your concerns, I had a radical prostactomy 12 years ago, after surgery my PSA was 0.7 suddenly after all these year's I had problems passing water and a blood test showed PSA up to 7.8.I was put on hormone treatment and my PSA dropped to .78, I'm nearly 70 years old and the consultant reckons I'll die of old age before the cancer gets me.

My point is bobbyk is that your follow up PSA is low so like me you will probably be on what is called watch & wait, there is lots of follow up treatment, hormone ect, you're out of the dangerous level of PSA so try not to worry too much,

Good luck.😄

• Posted

I am 70 too. My PSA is .07 and I am going to get radiation if it goes up to .15.  If it's back its back. So let's deal with it while it's in the pocket. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.