More Effective Medicine

Posted , 4 users are following.

What is more effective for neuropathy Gabapentin or PreGabalin,ive been on Gabapentin for 2 years the dose is 3000mg per day,this knocks me side ways.Im looking to ask my GP to change to pregabalin as i wont need to take as many pills a day and hopefully wont be high as a kite.Thanks 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I weaned myself off Gaberpentin, i couldn't manage without anything, after 4 weeks my GP gave me Pregabalin. It's only been a couple of weeks so i don't really know yet how things are. I have Arthritis and Nuropathic pain. I have also had knee replacements. I would also like to hear experiences from people that are taking Pregabilin.

• Posted

Unfortunately, Pregabalin is the big brother to Gabapenten, much stronger and far more difficult to stop taking later down the line. It does often work for chronic nerve pain by blocking the pain receptor signals in the brain but its side effects can be far reaching. Pregabalin alters the brain chemistry and central nervous system within one week of taking it, stops the brain forming new synapses, causing brain fog, memory loss, loss of language and mental confusion being amongst the worse. Obviously if you are desperate to ease your pain and are considering asking for Pregabalin that is your choice, but please know that it will "knock you sideways" just as Gabapenten has and if you feel high on Gabapenten you more than likely will on its big brother. It may be helpful if you do your own research first before making a decision. I hope you do.

?The above is my experience on Pregabalin and now I am struggling to taper off this drug slowly and carefully to minimise the terrible withdrawals. Tbh I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I hope you are able to make the best decision for yourself, but bear in mind that Doctors are still telling patients that there are no side effects and you can just stop at any time as it is not addictive which research will show is not the case. Also stopping suddenly puts the patient at risk of seizures which is actually stated on the leaflet accompanying both Gabapenten and Pregabalin.

I wish you well

• Posted

I would recommend you take a look at a Facebook page called Lyrica Survivors (Official). I was only on a low dose of Pregablin (Lyrica) just 50mg for muscle pain relief related to my ME/CFS. Initially it helped but after a while the effects wore off and I decided to reduce the dose to 25mg which caused awful awful withdrawal symptoms in particular bad anxiety and panic attacks something I had not suffered from for many years! I personally would avoid it if you can but then I don’t know enough about the other medication you are taking so it could be a case of the less of two evils. I hope you are able to find something with less side effects, maybe even something holistic which is what I’m slowly working towards as would like to be medication free.  Can I also suggest you read a book called “How to heal your life” by Louise Hay. Good luck smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.