More fibroids found after TAH & BSO 9 months ago.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I haven't been on this forum for ages but I need some help.Had a ct scan last month to check Abdomen and Pelvis because of  a bit of discomfort and sharp pains now and again.Shocked to receive a letter from the hospital with the results saying that everything is ok except for 2 quite  large fibroids.I had severa fibroids removed during my hysterectomy including one that was about 20cms.I thought that everything had been sorted even though I joked saying that I didn't look or feel any slimmer especially after a 6lb fibroid was removed.I have constantly felt bloated since my op.I wondered if my op had been carried out properly.I have read that if some of the uterus has been left behind fibroids can grow again.I am going to my hospital on Mon for another appointment for something else so I am going to try and sort this to put my mind at rest.I hope that they have looked at the wrong ct scan as I had one in 2014 aswell.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Thank you

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi, so sorry to hear about fibroids. I had one 10cm fibroid removed 7 years ago in Turkey since they couldn't remove it in the UK by key hole surgery. I was suffering and thinking 10am is big but now you are saying you had 20cm. That is BIG! I hope they can reassure you in your next visit. Best of luck!
    • Posted

Just to say that following my hospital visit today I didn't get any answers.Unfortunately the clinic that arranged the ct scan doesn't run every day and that included today.I spoke to another nurse in the clinic that was running in the dept instead and she tried to phone the secretary for me to talk to but she had to leave a message.The secretary rang me within the hr and understood what I was saying and said that she would get in looked into and get the consultant to phone me personally tomorrow.The problem being tomorrow is the day of the junior doctors strike so I am not sure how quickly this will be dealt with as the day will probably quite chaotic.

xxx

• Posted

Don't worry..it's very normal for fibroids to return. I have 2 large ones removed some years ago however a few grew back and now I just live with them as they should shrink during menapause.

So I was told...

Good luck😁

• Posted

Yeah, I have fibroids also--the last time I had an ultrasound it was 14cm, but I didn't have a hysterectomy. The fibroids attach to your uterus, so I thought they couldn't grow again once a hysterectomy is done--I don't understand how part of the uterus can be "left behind" if it's suspended between the cervix and the ovaries. Is that really possible? That's bizarre! I hope you get some answers soon, and the gyn. doc figures it out.
    • Posted

Hi 2stel, the fibroid I had removed was not on my uterus. It was on my left ovary. They don't just grow in uterus. They can be in ovaries too. I however have another one slowly growing in my uterus. Best of luck to all
    • Posted

Thanks for the clarification; didn't know they also grow on ovaries, I thought only cysts could 'cause I had a cyst once. Have a nice weekend!
  • Posted

I had fibroids as well, I was put on a low dose birth control pill that helped reduced it, and to stop my menopause symptoms. It worked!
    • Posted

The one on my left ovary was removed, now I have one in my uterus
    • Posted

I had both ovaries removed that is why I am more anxious to know where the fibroids are growing from especially when the letter states in the womb which should of been removed aswell.

• Posted

Get a second opinion something doesn't sound right especially when you had it removed.
    • Posted

This is the answer to your question by a physician to a patient that had a total Hysterectomy.

It sounds like you have been through a lot with regards to your pelvic symptoms. Although you no longer have a uterus, I think the best initial physician to see is an OBGYN, though a general practitioner would also be able to examine this problem for you. After a hysterectomy, the cells that can form uterine fibroids are gone. Therefore, it is extremely unlikely that you could develop fibroids again. However, that doesn't mean that you don't have something else in the area that can cause those symptoms. Pelvic pain and bloating are symptoms of many other processes in the area that will need to be looked into. They can be a symptom of constipation or indigestion. You could be having pelvic pain from post operative scaring. It is possible that you have another growth in that area that needs looked into. Either way, its something that needs followed up on. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN, preferably the one that performed your hysterectomy. He or she will be able to take a more detailed history and a thorough physical exam to see where your discomfort is coming from. Your doctor may want to do some imaging of you pelvis such as an ultrasound or CT scan. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.