More Gabby stomach issues!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Went to see my Dr today still having stomach issues after two mon TG HS without Gabapentin!! Upset stomach, bloating, appetite still not great. She is having me try Zantac for ten days to see if that helps me Amy. So tired of all of this. Just want to be normal again!! sad

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello,

Your doctor may not know the root cause of your problem. It sounds like you have either an erroded stomach lining or IBS. Either way all of those over the counter medicines such as Zantac, Pepcid, PrevAcid, Nexium, Prislosec, Zegerid etc. will do you more harm than good in the long run. I think your doctor does not understand that these acid reducers cause bigtime problems in the long run. Let me tell you the reason why. I was on Gabapentin, Cyclobenzaprine, Diclofenac, Norco (Vicodin) and the list goes on and on. I am so glad you quit Gabapentin. There should be a Federal Regulation on that particular RX because it helps at first but then it makes you lethargic, depressed and tired. It made me feel suicidal! What is happening to your stomach? What you have in your stomach is a lack of the acid necessary to digest your food, not an overabundance. What can help you in the meantime? I suggest for emergency situations OTC Immodium. Then take 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar every day. Stop drinking Soda Pop, stick with easy to digest whole foods, get the processed foods out of your life. Also try gluten free bread, rice such as basmati or jasmine, legumes (beans), nuts, fruit, vegetables such as sprouts on salad, brocolli etc. Also if you haven't already switch to Flax milk or Almond milk. 

One prescription you may want to run by your doctor is Protonix. This is not meant to be used for long term but let them write you an RX for 4 to 6 months and take every morning before breakfast the 10mg tablet to help heal any stomach lining erosion that may have occurred. Then once you have built up your supply you can take them from time to time. I take one like every 3 to 4 days now (until I am sure my tummy woes are over). This is not meant to be a lifetime drug because longterm taking or taking it every day past two months can harm you, but it may be just the thing you need. I had upset stomach for over a year. It was like the room was turning every morning when I woke up. It would also wake me in the middle of the night. This will affect your job, your school, your relationship with others because your tummy is like your second brain. Just a warning. Immodium dissolves quickly in the mouth and it can make you a bit tired so don't drive until you are used to it or take it once you are at work. 

I do not understand why doctor's are not educated about this situation with people that have been on meds before and have stomach issues! Why can't they see that diet and the stomach lining can be the cause of this issue? Do not patronize your doctor on the visit but tell her that you think the meds have erroded your stomach lining and maybe you should try protonix for a few months. 

I hope you feel better soonsmile Good luck! 

• Posted

One more thing. If you have allergies do not mix the Protonix with Allergy medicines such as Allegra. This can cause the Protonix not to be effective. Always check an online interactions source before taking medicines together. A source such as Drugs dot com is very good and i use it all the time. You can even buy Vitamins that are meant for a sensative stomach at a health food store. 
  • Posted

Ashamed sorry to hear that, perhaps you like your gp  or you can go to chemist to get esomeprazole (nexium) is the best for upset stomach..speak for your gp..doctor normally won't prescribe as it used to be expensive..but its not expensive anymore as that patent is expired so you can get over the counter...
  • Posted

ive been on 300mg 3x aday for about 3 1/2 months.

It wasnt too bad in beginning and was taking the edge off my headaches that are from my neck.

Now my stomach is so incredibly bad and my body is shaking internally! im hoping this is all from the Gabapentin. I cant eat anything because it gives me major diarrehea. So today i havent eaten at all.

I see my GP this week plus gastro Dr. I hope one of them knows what the heck is wrong with me!

Oh and ive gained 10lbs!

Good luck to you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.