more help please(elaine)

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all.

As many will know i'm now 8 months from trying to get off this horrible drug. I was on 225 and have hit a brick wall. No matter which way i go i can't handle the final withdrawal. I am now halving a 37.5 and taking that every other day. On the ven day i have a terrible headache and on the non day i am incredibly spaced out although the brain zaps are reducing, what next? I don't know.

Incidently last week i was invited to my Doctors surgery to talk to 6 young Doctors in there 5th year of training about depression and the medication. What a chance, i told them of the horrors of venlofaxine despite its benefits and if they ever prescribe it to make sure they know how to get patients off it. They were all horrified when i told them of the problems.

Whilst there i was able to see my records and the letter from the Doctor who first prescribed it, he concluded " leave him on this dose (225) indefinetlely). I wish i could take it further!.

Anyway i had a very interesting 2 hours with them and i hope i made them aware of what these drugs do. 3 of them took my number and email.

Ian

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hey Ian, I came off venlafaxine 225mg in two weeks and had side effects for a few more. I take citalopram now and it has less side effects. It's worth persevering with withdrawal, I had bad side effects coming off, but not as bad coming off an anti psychotic. The brain zaps go and the rest of the side effects. Hang in there it does get better x
    • Posted

Thank you Louise. I can beat it but am finding worse than my original illness!
  • Posted

If you're struggling that bad, please consider bridging with Prozac, I was off all medication after a week, think I took about 4 Prozac in total and just stopped one day, that was a month ago and I feel amazing - I get the odd brain zap but then I take a fish oil tablet and feel great again! I'm currently on a diet where I can only have shakes and I'm doing this to loose the weight these drugs have made me put on but also to detox myself and liver of any potential meds left in my system!

Best of luck Ian, you will be off this evil drug soon!!! xxxx

• Posted

Taking it every other day won't work because the half life is only 15 hours or so.  What form of ven can you get?  Getting a liquid would be best, but not sure if that is available to you.  Next would be the XR capsules with the beads inside, because then you can count beads and reduce more slowly each month.  If you are given the extended release tablets that aren't to be cut, that's the worst scenario.  With the immediate release tablets, you can make a solution with water and then syringe part of it.  If you can get that, let us know and someone can give you more specific instructions on how to make and measure your home-made liquid.   A Prozac  bridge can be used but I would espect you'd have to stabilize on the Prozac first, and then taper the Prozac slowly, too.  Going off within a couple of weeks may be possible for some, but the fact  that you are having this much trouble already means you will probably be one of the unlucky ones like me and need to go more slowly.  The worst emotional symptoms have a way of sneaking up on you months out when you think you are already past the worst of it!
  • Posted

I wanted to clarify, you went from 225 straight to taking 1/2 of 37.5 every other day?  That is a crazy drop, might was well be cold turkey, which is NOT recommended!
  • Posted

I wouldn't recommend every other day. Not a good idea. Get a tablet splitter and half your 37.5mg. Much better than giving your body the drug one day then the next starving it. Basically your body doesn't know whether it's coming or going.

If found this a lot better. I am now 3 weeks free of veneflaxine. Still have brain zaps which are decreasing by the day and had a couple of tearey episodes.

Omega 3 and fish oils help with the withdrawal.

Hope this helps and best of luck xxx

• Posted

I am on day 27 without the Effexor and is getting Better but I did it wrong the best way to come off is taking at least one full month on the new dose then start taking beats out of the capsule really take your time the withdrawal are No joke they are really bad ,I am taking Zolof to bridge out of Effexor as soon as I will start to feel more stable I will like to come off of this kind of meds .Good luck you are not alone but Yes it gets better but slowly.
  • Posted

Thank you all.

To clarify i was on 225 and got this far without too many problems. I asked my Pharmasist about alternatives and he said he can only get what i'm taking now which are slow release. My GP said i am now taking a non dose so just stop. How little does he know. Today should be a ven day but going to give it a miss and hope.

The positives so far though my BP has returned to normal and i have lost 2 stone in weight. During this time i have also got myself off Olananzapine which was simple compared to this.

Ian

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.