More info on Methotrexate, please

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed last summer with RA. My Rheumatologist put me on Leflunomide as he said it was the only Rx with a generic and I don't have insurance. It helped my feet tremendously, but that's about it. Due to his high pricing overall for visits, I had to go elsewhere and found a wonderful new doctor who put my on Methotrexate (which wasn't that expensive, by the way). My question is, I've been on it almost a week, but my foot pain is coming back. Is this just my body getting used to a new drug and getting off of the old one? I can't even imagine dealing with that awful foot pain again. Can someone please give me their insight on this drug as far as the side effects you dealt with when you first got on it? Did you get any additional pain that went away? Much appreciated!! Thanks!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sue,

Everyone reacts differently to medication. Tell UR rheumy the pain is coming back. Sometimes it takes time for the body to adjust to new meds and other times taking two meds together can help the other to work better. 

There are so many new meds for RA . Many online to learn what's available for RA TREATMENT. Many pharmacies can help if u have no insurance. Ask UR doc about the programs offered with different meds. Especially biologics. They are very expensive but like MTX help stop the damage to joints .

• Posted

Thanks hope. I'm hoping the return of the pain is just my body adjusting to a new med. This new doctor is great. She set me up to start with a trial program for the generic to Enbrel. I have to wait 3 months, but once I start, the program pays for everything; the meds, all x-rays, everything. So I'm very happy I ended up switching doctors. She actually seems to CARE, which is rare nowadays! ☺
    • Posted

Oh great you do have a great doc. Enbrel will stop the pain in its tracks. 

I'm so happy to hear that you will be getting the meds you need. And it will slow down the joint gad age. Sometime MTX with Enbrel is given. 

I wish you didn't have to wait 3 months. Did she suggest anything else for the pain in the mean time. Sometime OTC. Meds help .

• Posted

Leflunomide can do dammage to all your other vital organs,e.g. can cause high blood pressure,kidney failure,liver,etc. 

methotrexate is an older drug first used to fight cancer and was ineffective for my wife.

If you have any doubts about any of these drugs,check them out at medicines at the top of the page.

All drugs have a different effect on different people,they are not a one size fits all.

• Posted

I was diagnosed with RA in 1997 and was used as a "guinea pig" for a new treatment, Sulphasalazine.   I have RA in my feet, hands, wrists, shoulders but not, fortunately, in my knees or hips.   Unfortunately, I was allergic to the sulphasalazine, lost a lot of weight, sickness, nausea, headaches etc and was put on Methotrexate in January 1998.   Started out with just 3 2.5mg tablets a week which has gradually increased and now I'm on 8 2.5mg tablets a week which isn't bad considering I been on this medication now for 17 years.   I don't recall any pain coming back as such, but this could be because I was diagnosed early by my doctor and seen within a month by an RA consultant at Charing Cross Hospital.   However, I do suffer chronic fatigue i.e. excessive tiredness but I put up with this because I count myself fortunate that the Methotrexate works for me and I have been told that this medication only works for about 30% - 40% of users.   I am nearly 69 years old and still lead a fairly active life, although I do have to watch my weight ( I eat fresh veg all the time and try to keep to low fat foods) and I have had to adapt and adjust certain things in my life.   I can only drive an automatic car now, as a manual car gives me dreadful pain in my feet and hands and wrists.   I have to use a shopping trolley when I do my weekly meat and veg shopping as I can't carry anything heavy.   I have heavy shopping delivered approximately once a fortnight to three weeks and I have a marvellous husband who does the hoovering and ironing!   I still have a drink, low abv red wine and a brandy & pep.   I think, Sue, if the methotrexate doesn't suit,you may have to go on a different medication but if it does work for you, you will need to adapt/adjust your life accordingly, like I have done and be thankful that the RA is kept at bay.   I did have to have a couple of cortisone injections about 4 and 5 years ago which helped enormously, but haven't needed them since.   I see my RA consultant once a year now and have blood tests every three months.   So far, so good and I can only hope and trust that I keep like this for many more years to come.  Hope things go alright with you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.