more meds

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All,

hope you are all well,

Have been prescribed Spiriva today, any thoughts??

thanx

Echoxx

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

[color=darkred:aa8eadfe7f]Hi everyone

I was reading your experiences with spiriva and was quite shocked that some GPs wont prescribe this cause it's too expensive. sad

I know how expensive it is as I thought I was going to be stuck in Spain with the volcanic ash. I only had two days left of spiriva and it looked like we were going to have to stay there for another 7 days. Went to the chemist and they requested €53 which equated to £49 at the exchange rate of that time. I won't be caught short again and will always take extra medication with me wherever I go. :oops:

I am not too good at the moment and have been taking extra Ventolin but I am always like this in May. I'm sure it has something to do with the pollin.

Lizzie53

[color=darkred][/color:aa8eadfe7f][/color]

• Posted

Hi Flossie and all,

Spiriva is the more recently developed long acting version of Atrovent. It has few to no side effects. Interestingly although you take it once every 24 hours, it works for 32 hours. You experience no symptoms of having taken too much during those hours where the two overlap and there is no breakthrough SOB when the medication is wearing off as it doesn't have a chance to wear off.

The only negative thing about Spiriva is that it doesn't work for everyone, it either works wonders or doesn't work at all, but for the majority of patients - it works wonders. (the forgoing info is taken from one of my COPD books - I am not a chemist!)

Also -from another book - Anticholingerics (Spiriva / Atrovent) have few side effects. The most common is dry mouth - so just drink water after taking your medication - and also dry cough. More seriously it can worsen pre existing glaucoma and cause difficulties for men with prostate problems.

Luv Van xx

• Posted

More Meds Info; The reasons why moderate / severe COPD patients take more than one kind of bronchodilator/meds

1) Anticholingerics (eg Spiriva) work on your LARGER AIRWAYS to prevent their muscles from tightening.

2) Beta-agonists (eg salbutomol /albuterol//serevent) These work on the muscles surrounding your SMALLER AIRWAYS, preventing them from tightening.

3) Combination drugs (eg Symbicort) These combine a long acting beta-agonist like serevent with a very low dose of steroid. It therefore opens up the small airways and treats / prevents inflammation of the airways. Inhaled steroid solves a lot of the problems that Prednisone caused. As they coat the inside of your lungs to bring the swelling down from the outside in, the steroid itself does not have to get into your bloodstream to work and so there are fewer side effects than with Prednisone. However when first using them it may take several weeks for

it to take effect as the micro amount of steroid used has to gradually build up in your lungs.

-------------------------------------------------

The above are the most common types of 'maintenance medication' in use.

For those whose FEV1 is less than 50% ie moderate/severe patients, 'Triple Therapy' is the standard treatment - ie Spiriva + Symbicort + ventolin. This is recommended by NICE and by the international 'GOLD' standard.The reason for this is pretty clear - both small and large airways are being treated and inflammation is kept at bay by micro dose steroid.

This may change as new treatments appear, eg the new Daxas drug that is currently being approved for use in the UK.

Remember that we are all individual and may find that certain drugs do not suit us. Also note that you may only be offered Symbicort (or same med but other brand name) If you have had more than 2 exacerbations requiring prednisone treatment in one year. I do hope this may clear up the 'why's and wherefore's' of the various inhalers for you.

Thats all for now Folks, going to get my toast now! Love Van xx :wink:

• Posted

Hi Lizzie 53, thanks for the info and I shall certainly take plenty of meds with me when I go - I have never really allowed for real delays (optimistic or stupid) and have only ever taken 1 extra days supply.

Hi Vanessalee, good to see you back and thanks for the detailed info.

1 point - if you do get dry mouth/throat with Spiriva it is better to gargle/rinse and spit out than to drink and swallow.

Jacee

xx

• Posted

Just remembered - I reached 56 years old last week- was diagnosed at 54 and initially thought I'd be lucky to get this far from what the nurse said to me - but now I'm all sorted with meds, 02 etc and more to the point - have educated myself re the disease and exercise etc , I have set myself a target of at least 70, even with my Alpha1, and might possibly go on to 80 - who knows!

My next step is to make sure I am fitter next year than I am this ie To turn back the clock with exercise. Anyhow, for now the fact that I reached 56 is great news for me! YEAH! :diva: Van x

• Posted

Optimism rules!!!!!!!! Many, many, many happy returns Van.

Jacee

xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.