More newcomers to HRT ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello Dear HRT-ers, I have read a few of you recently started to take HRT?, I do since 9 days and I feel soooo tired, no energy, and so much plans. Indeed not a fair trial but do hope it improves. Mainly I am taking them because of my moods that seem to get unbearable for me and anyone else around me. Had difficulty finding words {sudden stammer} and forgetfulness. no flushes{yet} I am 53  and started to withdrawn myself socially. Apparently I was hoping of some kind of miracle to make me feel better quick and could enter the world with a happy face again.  It was suggested to me by a GP 1,5 year ago but because of the risks I didnt want to take them. Until I recently seen an episode on BBC { morning news} about a lady who was talking about the subject and what she was going through I recognised myself in it and decided to call my GP straight away. Is anyone known with Elleste Duet tablets combined 1 mg? I did read about severe bloating when taking the green ones?  I also wonder if 1 mg is not a bit low for my 5.2 ft.

hope to hear from you 

love Desi

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

• Posted

Hi Desi--I SO know how it is to need help, some answers and then experience side effects that make you question if you are doing the right thing! So the hormones you just started 9 days ago? I know there is often an adjustment period but if you find that a couple more weeks have gone by and no relief from the fatigue, mind fog etc, ask your doctor about lowering the dosage or trying something else. The fatigue is most likely coming from the progesterone...? Or an imbalance between the estrogen and progesterone but then again, I am assuming that the Elleste Duet is estrogen/progesterone combo. A big question I have is, is what you are taking synthetic or bioidentical?
  • Posted

Hi Desi I highly recommend bio identical.. most natural HRT method.. no bloating novside affects.. I was heading in downward spiral with sadness.. not good.. took 2 weeks now I’m back to my normal happy self.. no hot flashes no moods lots energy etc 😊 no bloating 

• Posted

HI Karen. I'm on bioidenticals (estrogel, progesterone, testosterone)and after 7 months and two adjustments in testosterone dosage, I developed abdominal bloating, pressure, cramping and fat shifts to my hips, abdomen and thighs. My doctor insists that it's NOT b/c of the HRT, but hormones are hormones and if one of them is too high, too low or not balanced with the another, there most definitely can be side effects even if they are bioidenticals. Still working out this whole bloating, abdominal cramping thing with my doc b/c it feels IDENTICAL to the PMS I used to have! 

• Posted

Hi there I’m sorry to hear this... that’s tough... I’m on the pellets... had my hormones tested before and then had the implant that matched my required dosage... it’s slow release for 4 to 5 months thereafter repeat... I’ve noticed my metabolism is faster now therefore managing my weight.. no bloating in fact opposite.. prior to this treatment there was nothing I could do to manage my bloating and weight creeping up on me.. I’m a runner and nothing worked until I had this procedure... and nothing helped to stop the sadness and anxiety that creeped up on me.. I’m thankful and only hope it continues for me.. I’m sorry your going through this and I hope you find your balance.. 
    • Posted

Hi Karen, Can I ask if you had the pellets in the UK or US as I am not familiar pellets being avialble in the uk. I some how think the pellets will draw upon the hormones as needed this seems more proactive then prehaps gels and tablets? Im interested in the pellets options though.
    • Posted

Thank you Karen for your reply mainly I could do with some advice about the matter what to expect and what it did for all of you?  Did it do you good etc.?  I did try a cream with 2 hormones is that the same kind of  thing I ordered it online it didnt seem to do much. I know I experienced the same kind of tiredness just before my period so of the same PMS? no idea, but I have skipped a few periods now.
    • Posted

Hi Elaine yes of course u can ask me anything about this... I’m Canadian and live in NS and US in wintertime 😊 I had a bad winter as this hormone thing creeped up on me... so I was desperate and researched everything I could... my hairdresser mentioned fact she was on it... I thought it wS strange but after reviewing it I realized I’d give it a shot... so yes I had this procedure done in North Carolina.. just amazing.. please feel free to ask me anything.. I have to have changed every 4 to 5 months...

• Posted

Hi Desi Bali all its an implant in your upper buttocks inserted size of grain rice... they testvyour hirmones... my estrogen was 5 .. normal range  is 50-100.. u don’t feel a thing.. they base the hormone levels in what you are low in.. i take DIN vitamin in morning which helps my body to absorb it all and I take 1 progesterone at night..was very sad horrible.. sad.. nvr experiences that before.. lots hot flashes tired low energy..etc..so the implant releases testosterone and estrogen... I also had bad Indigestion 
    • Posted

My understanding is that different modes of delivery (oral vs topical vs troches vs pellets etc) may need to be explored to see which one your body is more efficient at absorbing.  
    • Posted

Karen, what dosage of progesterone do you take and how do you take it? The sadness, tired, low energy sound more related to the progesterone. Hot flashes usually due to low estrogen although a progesterone dose that's too high or too low will throw off the balance between the two and cause these same symptoms. I also have learned that too high levels of estrogen and progesterone can cause gastroesophageal reflux (GERD). 

• Posted

HI there.. my hormone levels were balanced according to my beginning check mark complaints, blood work levels of proof etc..
    • Posted

And my indigestion gerd etc completely disappeared once I took the HRT... And actually the testosterone part of it all I thank for that 😊 this helps build my weak muscle which includes my diaphragm which is the large muscle that wraps around the esophageal junction to the stomach..helps the sphincher working properly... I always felt I couldn’t breathe.. heavy chest etc.. all tests fine... I always felt sick... this changed my life 😊

• Posted

My GP didnt mention these different options on this forum as implants, pallets, Bio Identical . I thought I pick the easies option  tablets {so I wont forget to take them} within the 10 min appointment I had, other options have not been discussed simply there wasn't enough time. I am in the UK so maybe It is not available here I have heard now  about implants and pellets etc is any of you in the UK ?or I am on a more International Forum?. Maybe more interesting because I get to know these options who might not be available because of our National Health system and cost. I am Dutch but living in Wales.

• Posted

and can I edit my message ? 

• Posted

Hi Desi my GP didn’t mention either.... I find these dr’s take all this very lightly... they don’t even understand it reSlly just go by their GP knowledge but don’t specialize.. I felt so off and my quality of life was not the same so I started talking about it finding out information reading and listening to pod casts... I finally found out all the options and most important I wasn’t crazy and alone... from.... my hairdresser...so many woman suffer one way or another...google and research a menopause clinic nearest you... they can help with options... I’m not sure if UK has this yet.. I know it’s just matter of time before it becomes available everywhere just like certain procedures and or medications 😊

• Posted

Thanks  Karen sorry for delayed response. I had heard from another lady via one of these forums that pellets drawn upon what is needed throughout the day so regulate your hormonal balance better. I am please to hear this is working well for you. May I ask do you still have a menstural cycle? I currently take Estrogel 2 pumps morning and 2 evening and Utrogestan (tablets viginally) the progesterone does work too well with me. I have also just started Testosterone gel as I have been suffering with lack of energy and also muscle weakness. To be fair since starting HRT in Feburary I have improved but still feel it needs tweaking further. How do you feel and have you had your bloods tested to know whether you hormone levels are back up.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi Karen

Im justing reading through earlier posts. I see you have replied to another lady that your pellets are combined with Estrogen and Testerone. This is really interesting. I am due to go back to the menopause clinic and will ask further about the pellet system.

• Posted

Very helpful Catbee. I take Progesterone and fnd days 15-26 leave me feeling horrible. I bloated and find too that my reflux can be play up.
    • Posted

Desi I am in the UK . I also work in the NHS. Im not aware of pellets being avaialble thus far. I use the gel as I understand this is most effective rather than tablets ( I started on femonston 1/10) that have to be broken down by the liver. Also no risk of clotting?

• Posted

Hi Elaine I do not have periods anymore... in fact it’s been 2 years now... they check my hormones through blood work and balance the pellet accordingly... took 2 full weeks to completely kick in 😊 I’ve nvr felt better honestly 

• Posted

I thought it was crazy when u first learned of the pellets through my hair dresser.. I do not take medication rarely and am always naturally trying to live life the best I can.. so inserting the pellet was my last resort... sounded bit crazy to me.. but it changed my life miraculously.. I could if suffered through the hot flashes np but not sleeping , deep sadness low energy etc got the best of me.. takes 2 minutes every 4 to 5 months and I’m quite pleased!! 😇

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.