More on self-help

Posted , 5 users are following.

OK, then let's put it this way - if you had a broken arm you would seek medical help, so what's the difference in seeking medical help for depression ?

I knew I would come in for some stick, but being 72 years old I think I have seen life (and suffered depression) since my twenties.   Good to talk - yes - but that won't cure you.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Because you don't need to feel scared, embarrassed or ashamed by a broken arm x 

I hope you don't think I was being rude with my reply earlier, people deal with it in different ways, some can help themselves a lot easier/quicker than others and some may even come across like they don't want to help themselves, like me! I've often been told that I'm hard work and maybe don't listen but I do try I just find it hard sometimes, no talking won't cure you but neither do meds, they can only help the situation.

If there was a quick fix i'm sure we'd all take it but unfortunately it's not that simple so we all just do what we can to try and get by xx 

• Posted

Its frightening, overwhelming, isolating. This forum may be the lifeline needed while someone is awaiting counselling app, doctors follow up, etc. Yes, common sense may be the answer, but who thinks clearly when in the grip of depression? We read that people dont even tell their families out of shame and embarrasment.  Angela, you probably mean well but as Dondons says, its not that simple.  
  • Posted

Are you really comparing something as simple as a broken arm to depression? A broken arm is easily fixed, painful yes but not in the long term. Depression is a mental disorder that some people will fight and struggle with for their whole life.

It's a mental disorder. There is no obvious way of fixing it. Sometimes a brain will work differently, in which case, yes, talking can actually help!

I said this earlier, but again, get your facts straight before you comment on something that other people might find offensive, because otherwise it's pretty obvious that you don't really know about what you're complaining about.

Mainly, why does it matter to you? If someone finds comfort and help in websites like these, why would you want to ruin that? It makes no difference in your life whether people use these sites or not. You don't like it? Don't become a member of the site, don't comment on the questions people post and then maybe we will all be happy.

• Posted

Absolutely spot on. Thankyou for your courage in speaking out.
    • Posted

I agree with you well said.Talking and listening doesn't cure but it's a great help. Counselling is talking and listening but we don't tell people to not go for it do we. Broken bones heal, mental health can be life long and and daily struggle. Mental health can also be a stigma.

Elizabeth. 

• Posted

Oh, get a grip do !   If you read my first postings, you will see that I suffer from depression, so the comment "you don't know what you're complaining about" isn't relevant to me.     

Some people are sooooo touchy !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.