More Pain and burning in the fingers of my foot after ankle fusion ?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had an ankle fusion, and am in the 8th week now, no pain at all in the fused ankle, but I have so much pain in the fingers of my foot for the last 3 days. I was so much worried about it!

So is it normal to have that ? 

You are welcome to help me understand this! 

Best Regards 

Mo 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mo!

I had ankle replacement surgery ten weeks ago, and I get fierce shooting pains in my toes. I also feel burning at times. 

I'm being told this is the nerves coming back to life. That it's all normal. 

But I'm not a doctor, so maybe other people can educate you more than I. 

• Posted

Hi Gigi 

So Did the doctors told you how long this pain in the toes might end ?

Thanks for sharing your experience. 

• Posted

Hi Mo!

My doctor told me it could be several months before it ends. The ankle and foot have been traumatized. He explained to me that the never in your shoulder are thick like linguini, but the nerves in our foot are the size of angel hair pasta. They take much longer to heal. My toes are still semi numb as well as the sides of my foot. I had no idea the recoup time or all the things my foot and toes would be feeling.  Can't wait until the foot is back to normal. 

• Posted

Hi Gigi

It’s strange, I never had this kind of nerve pain and I am actually wondering if it will end or if it’s permanent damage to a nerve! 

• Posted

Hi Mo!

The pain is actually half of what it was. 

My doctor says that when I start using the foot it will go away entirely. 

• Posted

Hi Gigi

Okay, so do you take pain killers for it now? And how long it took to go down from the beginning ? 

Thank you for sharing your experiences with me. 

• Posted

I'm not on any pain medicines at this time. It took 9 weeks for the swelling to go down. 

My toes are still partially numb. 

• Posted

It’s good that you are pain meds free, I wasn’t taking any pain meds too since week 5 but I started them again now on high doses for this nerve pain.
    • Posted

Hi Mo!

I see the doctor tomorrow and hopefully will get the ok to start PT.  I watched an ankle replacement on the internet, and it's a very intrusive operation. The screws, the banging and I had to have a very big bone spur removed. I guess some people have symptoms longer than others.  I just can't wait to walk on both legs again. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.