More pain in unaffected knee, feeling so fed up!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I don't know what's happened but I am now in so much pain all week, but it's not my right knee which I had the TNK on 9 weeks ago!! It's my left knee?

i know I have osteoarthritis in this knee as well but no where near as bad as my TKR knee was!

To be honest I am in so much pain I could cry today! I am hobbling around and everyone thinks it my TKR knee!! 

Any ideas anyone?

Pauline.

2 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Pauline, I am 5 weeks post op and I have been having terrible pain in my good leg since the operation. I was told that it's to do with the nerves in the groin and that the pains will go. My pains are like electric shocks shooting down my good leg and grabbing my good knee, they make me cry out in pain.

They are getting better though, not so frequent. My doctor gave me some tablets for nerve pain called Lyrica.

Good luck, keep moving x

• Posted

Hi everyone, 

Just a little update, managed to get in to see my surgeon Tues, had an examination and some x rays, no damage done to my TKR, just soft tissue !

Has a week of resting up, in less pain now, think things have settled down now?

I feel incredibly stiff though and don't appear to have such a good bend, probably still a bit swollen from the fall?

I have also lost my confidence with stairs , steps and uneven ground but I suppose it's natural following a fall?

Pauline.

• Posted

Hi Pauline,

Thank goodness you haven't done any damage.

Hardly surprising you've lost your confidence.  I'm still ultra careful anywhere outside.  I think it's because of the stiffness in the knee that if I were to stumble I wouldn't be able to react quickly.

Oh the joys of getting older!

• Posted

Glad no damage done. You're bound to be nervous. You'll get your confidence back gradually. It would probably still be stiff even if you hadn't fallen. The stiffness seems to come and go with all of us. Take time and look after yourself. Jen x
    • Posted

Hi there, glad the knee is settling down, I worry about steps and uneven ground, and the dark completely disorientates me. My knee just won't let me walk. I have always had mild balance problems and have bulked at the dark. Since my knee has been done I seem to be walking well but going outside at night just terrifies me. I do balance excersises daily but can't get this fear out of my mind. Any suggestions ? Take care tucks
    • Posted

I'm the same tucks

I get panicky about hanging the washing out!! Any uneven ground makes me nervous! I'm sure in time the fear will leave us hopefully!! 

• Posted

Hi schu 

I've not been on here for a while and just wondered how you are getting on. Hope you are feeling a bit less fed up.  

• Posted

Morning pegs

Lovely to hear from you!

I'm ok in myself thanks, but still struggling with the after effects following the fall I had 2 weeks ago. My unoperated knee is giving me more concern than my TKR!!

My gp says he thinks I may have sprained a ligament which at the moment is causing me more pain and mobility problems than my TKR!!

When I try to walk, it keeps giving way on me and I feel like something in my knee is about to "snap"?

If things are no better next week I will go back and see the gp again?

On a plus side my TKR is progressing well, still stiff but not so painful as it was, so something to be grateful for!!

How are you doing pegs? Hope everything is going well for you?

Pauline.xx

• Posted

Oh Pauline

didn't know you had a fall didn't pick up on that.  Must of been scary.  Sometime the unoperated knee feels painful as it gets used to your new knee and how you walk but if you have damaged it you'd be wise to go back to GP.

I'm doing great don't even think about mine really the only thing I have is tired legs , both of them! 1st thing in the morning. Once I'm up and about they are ok. I don't go back to consultant till March on my operation birthday so all looking good.

take care 

xx

• Posted

That is lovely, really positive news, so pleased for you pegs, you give me hope!!

I'm already feeling more positive as I realise now my knee doesn't dominate my life now!!

Yes, I fell down the bottom 6 stairs at home 2 weeks ago today, I had my 21 month grandson in my arms at the time!! My only concern at the time was for him as I was distraught to think he'd got hurt? Luckily he escaped unharmed, thank god!!

It was only after that I realised my knees hurt more, hence the problem now?

Thanks again pegs for your post, keep in touch.

Pauline. x

• Posted

Oh my glad the baby ok. But you shouldn't carry anything especially near stairs.  Remember that on the outside your knee looks good but on inside it's still knitting.

at the beginning you never think you will be normal again but now I'm 3/4 way through I realise life does become normal and I don't think about "IT" as much.

x

• Posted

Good to read you're doing so well, Pauline. I love to hear from those further along than me and to think you don't think about your knee now is so encouraging. I'm nearly 16 weeks post op now and for the first time this week I feel like I'm going forward - and not having any backward steps. Still can't walk for too long but definitely better😊 Keep posting good news please😊
    • Posted

Good to read you're doing so well, Pauline. I love to hear from those further along than me and to think you don't think about your knee now is so encouraging. I'm nearly 16 weeks post op now and for the first time this week I feel like I'm going forward - and not having any backward steps. Still can't walk for too long but definitely better😊 Keep posting good news please😊
    • Posted

Evening Jennifer,

If good news regarding knees helps you, I'd like you to know that I am feeling like my old self after months of not feeling 'quite right'.

Today I drove to meet a very old friend for lunch.  Hadn't seen her since before my op.  We talked for three hours and I didn't think of 'the knee' once.

I am also off to the US in two weeks to spend precious time with my daughter.  The biggest concern I have is setting off security alarms, not 'the knee'.

I know I am at least 90% improved both physically and, more importantly, emotionally.

Pity I've got to go through this all again in March.

Lynn 19.5 weeks

• Posted

That's so good to hear, Lynn. Just a shame about your 2nd knee! Still, now you now the outcome is so good it will surely help you cope. We're staying with my sister in law for the weekend and we went for a meal last night. We walked home from the restaurant as we couldn't get a taxi and I did it easily! Remember doing it before the op and finding it much more difficult. So pleased with myself😊 Walked round an Air Museum for about an hour today and, although it got a bit sore and stiff when standing around, it was stil bearable. It's so nice to be doing ordinary things. I look forward to being like you in about a month's time and "not thinking about the knee". I'll be thinking about you next March. Just think, by this time next year you'll be running around everywhere😊 xx
    • Posted

Good for you Jen at 19weeks now you seem to be back to normal so enjoy that holiday, it will do you the world of good. I am going on well but still get the bad days but not so many.yesterday I was cold achey and weepy, seemed like I had gone back a month, but this morning I'm fine. Heigh ho we have to run with it. Heading to feel completely well by Xmas love tucks
    • Posted

Thanks Tucks. I am feeling better this week but wouldn't say I'm back to normal yet unfortunately. I had a little walk this morning to see a Remembrance parade and standing there was still quite uncomfortable 😢 I'm feeling more hopeful though. My physio gave me some "cupping" treatment for my hamstring pain and I think that helped. I'm hoping to get a few more sessions of that so that should help. I was definitely still getting backward steps at your stage so, take heart, it will get better. Glad you feel good today - enjoy😊 Jen x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.