More physical therapy? Knee issues

Posted , 3 users are following.

So, I am almost 33. I have a very unstable left knee (ongoing issue since 2008) I have received my MRI results with some things I can grasp. I just don't know what it all means for me. My PCM is recommending me to Orthopedics and possibly more PT.

the results are as follows, so if anyone has had anything similar, I would appreciate input:

1. Ligaments are intact
  2. Medial meniscus: Mucoid degeneration of the posterior horn w/out tear
  3. lateral meniscus is intact
  4. extensor mechanism- distal quadriceps and patellar tendons are intact. lateral patellar subluxation. No retinacular disruption. TT-TG interval of 1.2 cm. Subjectively shallow troclea. Borderline patella alta.
  5. Patellofemoral compartment: GradeIV chondromalacia far peripheral superior lateral trochlear facet with underlying edema-like signal (2/12)
  6. Fluid-Small volume left knee effusion, nonspecific (no baker's cyst)

So, I can put some things together; this doesn't sound like the best news, but I don't believe it to be horrible.

Any opinions would be wonderful, I will be scheduling an appointment with Ortho, but I have no idea when I can get in.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

During physical therapy for knee issues, a physical therapist will work with you to develop an individualized treatment plan based on your specific needs and goals. This may include exercises to strengthen the muscles around the knee, stretches to improve flexibility, and manual therapy to improve joint mobility. Your physical therapist may also use modalities such as ice or heat therapy, ultrasound, or electrical stimulation to help reduce pain and inflammation.

Overall, physical therapy for knee issues can be an effective non-surgical option for managing pain and improving function in the knee. It is important to work closely with your healthcare provider and physical therapist to ensure that treatment is safe and appropriate for your individual needs.

• Posted

1. ACL, MCL, PCL, LCL are healthy (nothing to worry about)
    2. slight thinning of your mensicus on the back side but not torn (nothing to worry about)
    3. meniscus on the outside of your knee is healthy (nothing to worry about)
    4. muscles, tendons and fascia are healthy. your kneecap may have a tendency to drift to the outside which may be part of your instability you report. (physical therapy can help get your knee cap tracking in the correct line so your knee cap doesnt drift outside)
    5. there is cartilage between the backside of your kneecap and frontside of your femur. this cartilage has worn down over time. this results in swelling in that area. (physical therapy cannot reverse cartilage loss but can help improve stability which may help with pain)
    6. general knee swelling noted

medical language is scary when you don't have education in it. it is actually great news that your ACL, MCL, LCL, PCL and meniscus are all healthy! The knee cap/area under your knee cap is where you have your issues but this is common amongst knee pain patients. Physical therapy can help and should be tried before anything else more serious. You'd be surprised what a good PT can do for you. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.