More problems with my ankle, 2 months post op

Posted , 2 users are following.

So my surgery was 2 months ago, it was a lateral ligament reconstruction with peroneal tendon transfer and a scope of the cartilage surrounding the talar dome.

2 day ago, I was sitting at home in my aircast. My husband tripped over my ankle, really hard.

I wound up going to the hospital only for x-rays. 6 months ago x-rays showed nothing. These x-rays showed a lot of problems.

There is some periarticular osteopenia. There is some irreguarlity of the tibiotalar joint and subtle osteochondral lucency in the medial talar dome on frontal and mortise views.

There is mild degenerative change at the first mtp joint. The lisfranc joint is congruent.

There appears to be erosions involving the head of the second metatarsal and perhaps also on the medial side of the 3rd and 4th metatarsals.

Here is the summary of findings.

There is no evidence of acute process. Periarticular osteopenia around the foot may be due to disuse. Alternatively, considering the possibility of erosions at the metatarsal heads, the patient has rheumatoid arthritis. I do not see an acute somatic injury, but there is lucency involving the medial take some, which could represent focal subchondral osteopenia or an osteochondral injury.

I looked some of this up to try to understand it all but it's confusing.

My ankle was swollen more after the accident 2 days ago, but got worse today when it popped while I was trying to get up off a chair.

I feel a lump near the top of the surgical site, and both my foot and ankle are badly swollen . The foot swelling was almost gone until 2 days ago.

I don't see my surgeon until Friday, so I don't know what to do or think. Should I be worried?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry, one sentence should read medial talar dome. Spell check messes up sometimes.
  • Posted

I googled talar dome injury, and lesion and fracture come up. I am angry because the er Dr did not diagnose anything.

I see my surgeon tomorrow and hope he can shed some light on this. I'm hoping he doesnt brush me off again.

• Posted

He denied that there was anything wrong, even though it shows up on the x-ray report. He caused me so much pain that I was in tears, he grabbed my foot and started moving it violently.

He was so rude, yet he was polite about it. I could hear his ego getting the best of him as he spoke.

He said weight bearing as tolerated and to stay in the boot for one additional week. The swelling is so bad I cant even put a shoe on i need to in order to walk, and to go home.

• Posted

I was on a website recently and asked a question about the lucency thing. I was told that it meant an injury, whether new or part of the surgery.

My foot and ankle are still badly swollen, I've walked withoutmy cast only at night going to the bathroom.

The boot is supposed to be off for good tomorrow. The problem is that I still can't wear a shoe as my physiotherapist will find out tomorrow. I ordered a pair of shoes online that I'll be able to wear, even in the winter.

My family dr told me the other day that the tendon damage ice suffered is permanent. I didn't show him the lump in my ankle, I forgot about it. But I think it's the tendon that was anchored into the bone.

I don't know what's going to happen now

• Posted

Well, I go home tomorrow afternoon, 2 weeks before my planned discharge. They say they can't do any more for me.

I face a ton of challenges when I get home. I never got the chance to practice stair without the aurcast, I reinjured my ankle Monday night and am back in the boot.

I see the quack surgeon again tomorrow morning, no thanks to the orthopedic surgeon Tuesday afternoon who said my situation was very complex. He said to stay in the boot for a while.

The x-rays showed too much swelling to be able to clearly define any injury. I already had a ton of swelling, I had woken up Sunday morning with my ankle twice its size.

I know my surgeon will be useless tomorrow, but I have to see him.

We'll see what he has to say, but I know he'll rush me out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.