more questions

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi, anybody read this who has both athsma and mild bronchiectasis? I try to go for long walks, weather permitting, I can walk steadily for an hour, rest then walk steadily back, which seems ok, but why if I try and exert myself for even 5 minutes I am exhausted, have to stop and get breath back, s that normal? or should I mention to my doctor? thanku

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Davvid, that is great that you go for such long walks. I do half hour total, but I am 68, don't know your age. I also get very breathless if I do anything physical, I have always been very active my whole life. I have bronciectasis and nocardia in my lungs found out six months ago. I have read that it causes fatigue, but don't know why, I am trying to accept that I just need to rest more.
    • Posted

hello cuddles, I am almost 61 in age, and like yourself was very active until quite recently. I love my walks and would be devastated to lose that. Never heard of nocardia, I am tired often too, its hard to accept that you need to rest more isn't it? best wishes
    • Posted

Nocardia is a rare bacteria that can cause serious problems if you have underlying lung disease. I guess you get it from soil, dust in the air. Iove to garden, but am now going to have to give that up....sucks. I have always considered myself healthy except I get these lung infections all the time, if I did not have to breathe, then I would be fine!
    • Posted

oh my goodness cuddles, I am a part time gardener in summer months, that certainly has given me food for thought! "if you didn't have to breathe you would be fine" hahaha, great to have a sense of humour!
  • Posted

Hello!That also happens to me. Walking up stairs makes my heart pound and trying to catch my breath.Do you have a hard time with stairs? I also have no appetite and weigh only 105 at 5'4".I cannot work at this time either. I was walking up a small hill the other day and thought i would have a heart attack for the pounding in my chest. I am a 49 yr old female that has had asthma (mostly mild) for about 15 years and now pseudsmonas and bronchiectasis for at least 1 1/2 years now.
    • Posted

Hello Debra, thankfully my wee house does not have stairs because I know they would be a problem for me, I just find it strange that I can walk steadily for quite a while on the flat, but like yourself any hill kills me! Must confess I am slightly overweight according to the "guidelines" but not obese,  eat healthy and usually my appetite is good, perhaps the fresh air aids that? I live by the sea so pollution isn't a factor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.