More than just headaches?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm hoping someone can help me out please!

I'm a 25 year old female with 2 young children. I started getting headaches about a year ago. They started off quite mild, just a dull ache that lasted a few weeks then would go for a few weeks. The long I've had them the worse they've got. I've also got other symptoms:

Dizziness

Nausea

Swelling behind right ear

Neck stiffness

Pins & needles in hands

Numbness in right side of face

I've had 2 blood tests which came back clear. I've also had an eye test and everything was fine, I didn't need glasses.

My doctor seems to think nothing else needs doing!

I have been on different tablets which haven't made the headaches any better. I'm currently on Topiramate. Doctor wants me to carry on taking these even though they aren't helping!

So basically my question is, when is a headache more than a headache? I'm pretty sure I have something wrong with me but my doctor seems to think otherwise!

I've lived with having a headache nearly everyday for a year & it's really getting me down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joanna

Sounds to me it is more than a headache possibly a migraine

I get these and they are terrible, i get dizzy, nausea, bright lights make me worse.

If i was you i would seek a second opinion from a different doctor. something is clearly not right with the symptoms your describing

Feel better soon

• Posted

Sounds like migraines. Could be hormonal, they very often flair up a few days before a period starts.

or could be good related. Chocolate is a trigger for mine. Few nights ago I excised to try just 4 small chocolate buttons to see if maybe I'd get away with a tiny bit of chocolate. Within an hour nausea, dizziness, I started to get a bit confused, felt as if I couldn't think clearly. The headache was just beginning to niggle so I drank as much water as I could and ent to bed. No pain the next day but the nausea lingered. 

After a really bad migraine, like most people I feel slightly sick, tired, washed out for up to 2 days after the pain has stopped.

worth keeping a diary of what you eat and where in the monthLy cycle your headaches appear

• Posted

I've completely cut chocolate & caffine out of my diet and the headaches are worse than ever so can't be that!

I've been keeping a diary since June, there seems to be no correlation between headaches and periods! I have a headache every day, it doesn't seem to be better/worse at that time of month!

Thank you for your reply x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.