More than one BP reading

Posted , 8 users are following.

Just wanted to throw this information out there. My mom sees a nephrologist (kidney doctor) for her high blood pressure. At her appointment two weeks ago her BP was 164/78. He suggested she come in for a longer BP test in two weeks as she was feeling under the weather at the time of her appointment. On Friday, we went again and her initial exam room BP was 162/76. So, she was hooked up to a BP machine that takes your BP every 2 minutes for 15 minutes total. Guess what? By the second or third BP reading, her BP was 131/68. They take an average of all of the readings and her average was 130/67. If she didn't have that longer BP test, she likely would have had a med change. Just goes to show that one BP reading does not necessarily equal high BP. If you have a high BP reading when you first walk in the exam room, ask them to take it again at the end of the visit. As always, follow your doctors advice!

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hello im the same way i call it white coat syndrome. i get that . glad your mom is good.

• Posted

I have white coat syndrome too. Thankfully, I am not on any meds. It's scary to think that beta blockers and stuff are being prescribed based on that one BP reading though.

• Posted

The worst thing drs or nurses can do is slap the cuff on you as soon as you walk in. My doc waits at least 20mins and also insists that both feet are on the ground. So many patients have their legs dangling or on a bed which gives a complete false reading. Yes, there are way too many people on BP meds that don't need to be, and in the UK it's all about dr's numbers to report their patients are 'healthy', and in the US it's all about making sure the drug companies keep rich. Never mind the drugs patients have to be on the deal with the side effects of BP meds. Gggrrr!

• Posted

hi STACI - Thank you for that very valuable information. i am someone who battles high blood pressure & in 2012 at the beginning of this menopause journey was put on a BP rX & i never questioned the drug or the side effects etc. THEN ROUGHLY 2 years later was put on an additional Bp Rx...this was also an extremely stressful time in my life - After taking the 1st BP rX FOR 5 years i started experiencing really bad side effects & found a forum just dedicated to the bad side effects of this drug...i weaned myself off the first drug & it was horrific - i am still on the second one & am handling it Ok. The reason why i am telling you this is drs hand out drugs like candy and I think we as consumers trust their every word - i will never again just randomly take a prescribed drug without thoroughly investigating it. My 24 year old son was away at school & got diagnosed with situational anxiety. The first time dr that he saw prescribed him a beta blocker, an anti depressant, a anti anxiety Rx...thank god after taking them for a few days he chose to find the root of his anxiety & work thru it...it is a struggle, but he is managing well.

i personally believe that we all need to know our baseline B/P Reading (by taking your b/p reading) at various times of the day & averaging out) i dont believe that everyone should have a perfect 120/80 b/p that is the new standard. Age, ethnicity etc play factors. Knowing your safe, healthy range is key, but do become very savvy before you just let a dr prescibe a B/P rX. There are many didnt types that do different things to your body. Also, become aware of the proper way to take your B/P reading - Granted High B/P Is a silent killer & should be regulated - Oddly enough, when i came off that first B/P rX, my b/p came down because that Rx was toxic to my system -

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.