More "weird" side effects!

Posted , 15 users are following.

Has anyone out there experienced a feeling of muscles turning to spaghetti? Almost overnight I feel my fat has turned wiggly and jiggly and has slipped away from my bones. Am I alone in this phenomenon? Another weird side effect of this whole pmr/prednisone situation?

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lynda , it appears we all suffer different thing.

my journey started four years ago, I lost nearly two and half stones, kept like this for three months then the weight crept up.

yes I have had the same feeling in my muscles, only tonight I felt like it and I go dizzy as well.

i have lost 7.5lbs of weight over three months so now what do they do put up my steroid, than tell me to reduce as fast as they want, but I am doing the reducing my way

sorry I don't think this answers your question, just feeling low and want to let off steam

as MIchdonn says smiling is good for us, which I must say when I read it, it did make me smile.

have a good night regards mags

• Posted

Lynda, Thanks for the mention of sweating (perspiring? glowing?).  Since I came down with PMR, I have become a prolific sweater.  I was not sure if it was a side effect of the condition or not.  My amateurish searches of the medical sites could not find any mention of excessive sweating as a side effect of PMR, so I just assumed that there is something else wrong.  It’s perversely comforting to know that others with PMR are experiencing the same symptoms.

Now, is the excessive sweating caused by the PMR or the pred?

• Posted

Yes.

PMR and GCA both can cause sweats. So can pred. If you really draw the short straw - you get them from both.

• Posted

Richard, I had heavy night sweats while on higher doses of Prednisone. Now that I am under 10 mg I have not been experiencing night sweats. At one point I was changing my T shirt 2 or 3 times a night. Thinking positive and smiling. ☺️
    • Posted

I have not been bothered by sweating for some time now but it was awful. It went as I dropped Pred but it could be a combination of the steroids and the PMR, I guess.
    • Posted

Unfortunately, my problem isn't night sweats. It's ANYTIME all daggon day sweats!! Only exception is, laying down directly in front of fan ice pack on neck...NOT éxaturating! Going on flight 2 weeks from from 2day. Anyone familiar w/air conditioning on plane?? Sooo anxious about this as I haven't been on flight in well over a decade! Will also have portable oxygen and my service dog! Alot 2 maneuver. Ughhh...upside 2 all this is I'll be meeting my grandson 4 first time and seeing my beautiful youngest daughter, so it's kinda a slam dunk!!

• Posted

All depends I suppose! The flight to Korea a few weeks ago was awful - SOOOO hot, coming back was fine. 
    • Posted

Oh nooo! Not what I wanted 2 hear. Were flight attendants at all helpful? Did u mention your health issue to airline ahead of time?
    • Posted

Try and be positive Lynda, try not to focus on the plane ride, sweating, but seeing your daughter and your grandson for the first time. What and exciting experience! Sit back enjoy it a little sweating is much better than PMR pain. Thing will get better! What breed is your service dog. We love dogs have six, big part of our lives. Now think positive and put that smile on your face. Good Luck ☺️
    • Posted

Thx 4 the words of encouragement. Sooo appreciated! And yes, I'm so excited 2 see my daughter (and meet my grandson)...we're best buddies as well as mom/daughter!! My dog is a beagle/jack-Russell terrier mix. He's 3 yrs, SMARTER than hec and a real love! Truly a Big bright spot in my life!!

• Posted

Great, he will help you over the rough spots. Good girl, good luck and keep that smile on your face. ☺️
    • Posted

Just booked airport assistance and gluten-free meals when booking the flight as I don't eat wheat if I can help it. Won't make me ill but with too much I itch.

I don't find travel a big deal - we do long haul flights (10+ hours) every year or two. In small airports I walk - but don't like standing in long lines at immigration or security. What happens happens - and you deal with it.

• Posted

You just nailed it! I literally Can't stand in lines (at all), much less walk through lg. airport ! Along w/pmr, I have a paralyzed rt. lung due 2 a med procedure gone wrong 6 yrs. ago. Hence the portable oxygen. Anyway, I'm trying 2 arrange for an electric cart through airport, but still trying 2 figure out how 2 forgoe the line situation. Not sure if that's an option but I need 2 figure something out soon cuz I just Can't do lines!

• Posted

I haven't done it myself but I think you ask your carrier (airline) to arrange the details.  

• Posted

They should arrange that you be transferred from location to location, and bypass any lines.  I don't know how security works these days but I think even that is fast tracked, maybe through the crew line.

• Posted

Interesting - my husband only has one lung and it is damaged by radiotherapy. No-one has ever suggested he might need oxygen.

You don't usually get to choose whether you get an electric buggy or a wheelchair - apart from anything else it depends on the access to the plane and whether there is room for them to drive/use the lifts etc. You request airport assistance, either through your agent when you book or online at the airline site. It is the airport that provides the staff though. 

On the way out, you tell check-in you have requested assistance (if they haven't noticed) and you can have it from there if you want or you arrange to be picked up at a specific time there if you have checked very early and want to eat or spend time with family or whatever before going through security. You don't always get to jump the queue at security unless there is a priority line (and even they can be quite long as I discovered in Seoul) so do take the wheelchair even if they say it isn't far - it was literally well under 100 yards altogether to the gate at Seoul but the priority security had people with children, crew, first/business class and disabled - it was still far shorter than the other one though. But you remain in the wheelchair for all the standing/walking bits, you just have to get out (if you are able to stand) for the screening at security.

On the plane the crew will usually check with you during the flight as they have to radio ahead to confirm assistance is required. If not, speak to someone towards the end of the flight. You are met as you leave the plane, the crew tell you where to wait/meet them, Sometimes it is directly at the door, sometimes it is at the end of the bridge from the gate if you can walk there. The person pushing the wheelchair then takes you through immigration, often using the crew line, and to the connecting flight, carpark/buses/taxi line whichever you require. But you are seated in the wheelchair the entire time. If you have a travelling companion they get to trot along with you so you aren't separated. At Chicago I had to go out through immigration and then check-in again for the connecting flight - all in a wheelchair. Every airport will be slightly different of course.

You have no decisions/arrangements to make other than requesting assistance. At check-in they ask you how much assistance you need - can you walk from the gate to the plane, up stairs to the plane if that applies (as in many budget airlines). In some airports there is a desk to go to for such arrangements where you can sometimes turn up without having made the request (usually it has to be done 48 hours in advance) - but I wouldn't rely on that.

• Posted

Thanks so much Eileen for all the info. The airline does know of my health issues, so I'll just have 2 trust in the universe that all will work out. I've certainly done all I can on this end! Yes, my diaphragm was paralyzed several years ago during a med procedure that ended up 'nicking' a nerve that controls it. I was only in my 50's, and it changed my life 4ever! Now I've got such shortness of breath I can hardly walk from my room 2 the kitchen w/o huffing and puffing! Now, with this new dx of pmr, well, let's just say, things kinda Suck right now! However, I'm also acutely aware of the fact that things could always be Worse and am still grateful 4 all my blessings! I just seem 2 be having more 'pity parties' lately and am feeling this is a safe place to do it. Sorry folks!

• Posted

Hi Lynda,

I hope you have a nice weekend.  I am glad you see the blessings in everything, rather than being angry and upset.   Life throws us all curve balls, and some can hit us pretty hard.   We don’t always understand the reasons why things happen, but you will be so much better off since you have a good attitude.   Pmr is rough enough, so I am sorry you have to deal with the other medical condition as well.    God bless..and I hope the PMR symptoms improve soon for you.

• Posted

Thanks Margaret. I wish you and yours a good weekend as well! I'm now counting down the days (12) till I fly to Texas to see my beautiful youngest daughter and meet my grandson for the 1st time! He's 3yrs. and we talk on the phone all the time, but it's not the same as being able to hug on him, that is, if I can get my frozen,achey fingers and arms 2 cooperate! Lol...With all that being said, I'm sooo incredibly anxious about the flight and all the maneuvering 'round the airport I'll have to do😖. Especially with my service dog and portable oxygen. I've not flown for well over a decade and I was a very different person then! Ought to be interesting and a Real Adventure!

• Posted

Before being diagnosed with PMR, total body soaks contributed to the  20lbs I lost before prednisone controlled the inflammation.  This year, I discovered that when I awoke with a sweating head several days in a row, it was a warning that a flare was about to bloom. 
    • Posted

Yes I understand.. my daughter came to visit this summer.   I warned her I just can’t do what I used to.  She definately saw a big difference from how I was last summer.   I used to have so much energy.   I told both daughters I have improved from last winter as I am no longer dropping things that I couldn’t pick up, and I can walk so much better now.    I am staying positive and hoping I continue to improve and get back more of the energy I lost.

Have lots of fun in Texas with your daughter and grandson Lynda!

• Posted

.....hi again! If any of you cyber buddies have been following my posts, you're awhere of the fact I've been ABSOLUTELY plagued by excessive sweating! I've not taken my am dose of pred, haven't had it since around 7pm last night. I awoke this a.m. with ALOT of stiffness in fingers and hands but for 1st time in wks I'm not sweating, and it's already 90o in my apartment! I'm thinking of tapering my dosage today to 7mg. just to see if I can get this perspiration problem under control before my vacation to Texas on 8/23. Any advice or ideas?? Sadly, (or not!) I've come to trust you folks more than my doc!!

• Posted

P.s....I've been on 9mg p/day.

• Posted

It all depends on your PMR symptoms - and which you would rather deal with.
    • Posted

I understand about the sweating and to be honest I had completely forgotten how awful it is. I don't think it is wise to make such a big jump to reduce, It will be far worse if you are in pain and risk a flare as it would mean upping your dose further and it is not always so successful trying to manage a flair after reducing too much. I was keen to reduce but paid attention to the help and advice on this forum. If you have to up following a flare you will have put yourself further back and the sweating will go on even longer. It does get better. In fact I seem to be feeling the cold more now having gone from one extreme to the other!! Pare you following the DSNS method? It works and I am now on 3mgs and most of my side effects have gone apart from the weight and I'm working on that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.