Morning after pill/ Contraceptive pill.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have taken the morning after pill before the day after I forgot to take my normal contraceptive pill.  If I carried on taking the contraceptive pill for the next few days then stopped taking it for a few days could I still be at risk of being pregnant even if I wasn't having any sex?  Might sound a bit of a daft question but sometimes I have to stop taking the contraceptive pill for a few days because it makes me feel a bit bloated.  I am considering changing contraception but would like to know what other options there are for a female?  I know no method of contraception is 100% safe.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

what contraceptive pill are you on? I think the breaks in taking it depend on which one you use - I used to be on microgynen and you would have 21 pills then have a break for a week. I was on it for many years and was told that if you pissed one pill, you were still protected - it took at least 3 days for all the hormones to be out your system, meaning you had a chance of getting pregnant. Based on this rule I often missed pills (never more than 2) and continued to have unprotected sex and never fell pregnant. Obviously it is all dependant on what pill you take - you should probably seek advice from your doctor if you are wanting to take it for a few days then skip a few days, as I don't know if this will give you enough hormones to cover the days you don't take it. Maybe consider a different method of contraception? Like the copper coil which is none hormonal?
  • Posted

Co-cyprindiol..........I've taken two pregnancy tests so far.......1 has come up negative and the other has come up positive.  I took the morning afterpill after forgetting to take the pill for one day then took the pill for two days off it then came off it for a few days as I had a upset stomach.  I had my period for this month at the beginning of the month and not due another period till next month.  Maybe I am too early to be taking pregnancy tests but thought I would take one just out of interest.  How long does it take before you really know that you are pregnant and can you still have periods while you are pregnant?
  • Posted

I have never heard of co-cyprindiol so I'm not too sure on that one.. but if you have been on and off it and having unprotected sex I guess there is a possibility. You would usually take a pregnancy test a few days after your period doesn't start..I think some people can still have some bleeding, but there may be some changes - it may be lighter than usual. If you have your usual period I wouldn't worry..if it is unusual in any way then maybe go to the doctors or take another pregnancy test. For now I wouldn't worry as you can't do much until your period is due!
  • Posted

Thank's for your advice.  I missed a period the month before and then had one this month so was wondering if that's normal.  Usually I am quite regular.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.