Morning Anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

The worst part of my day is just after waking up. I immediately begin to think that I will be anxious and immediately become anxious. The evening is complete the opposite.  I am so relaxed and can think cleary. I'm currently on Mirt and Cipralex. I've been trying to get off Mirt because I sleep well but mornings are awful. 

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

My sister found the perfect solution to same problem. She got a sound machine that is time programable. Her favorite sound in the world is hard rain hitting the roof. She always wakes up at six. So she set the machine to start at 5:50 increasing in volume. She said since that is the first thing she hears...it sets the tone for the morning.
  • Posted

This seems like it has become a "programmed" reaction for you.

I like cia's suggestion alot.

I think it would help too if you recognize that you may be causing this...by reinforcing to yourself that THIS WILL HAPPEN DAILY.

Start telling yourself when you wake up panicked...that you are causing it....start thinking about what you did the night before (when you were relaxed) and start thinking about what you will do that night....Distract yourself (basically) from being anxious.

It also could be the medication that you are on.  SSRIs can make some people more anxious...they did me....and I didn't realize it until I got off of Citalopram...I felt like a whole different person...more relaxed..and I have plenty to be anxious about.

• Posted

Two things i wants to mention for this. One is is it anxiety you are feeling or is this shakiness and jittery for a bit then wears off. Because low blood pressure can do that. As well as unbalanced sugar levels. Blood pressure drops whilst asleep and this isnt uncommon to awaken shaky. That is easy to find out u take your blood pressure when you wake up. I do not know if you are on blood pressure pills or if your meds lower blood pressure. So you can check that.... Okay saying that it is important for you to understand how the suconcious  works and how to train yourself to be positive or negative. Research shows that your mind is the most open and receptive to receiving information during the first and last five minutes of every day. Why? Because those are the times your mind is transitioning between consciousness and subconsciousness – the beneficial Alpha state.The Alpha state produces your most creative and rewarding ideas.wether  it is real or not its irrelevant the mind has no clue. So always always use positice affirmations ( i am healthy, i feel good..etc..) during these times. You want  to "create" your dreams or create your day not destroy it. 

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

I appreciate the suggestion on positive thinking 5 minutes before bed and 5 minutes after waking up. I have to work on this more. I'ts now 11 months since the first post and I'm doing a little better but still struggling every day. 

• Posted

I'm currently taking 15mg of Remeron at night and 15mg of Cipralex in the morning. I've been on Remerson since 2012 and went down from 30mg to 15mg the last few week. The Cipralex I just started 8 weeks ago and went from 5mg to 10mg and now 15mg for the last 4 days. I am also taking Lorazapam to help me when I'm really anxious. The plan is to move to 20mg of Cipralex  in 3 days and try to stabilze on it for the next 2 to 6 weeks. 

• Posted

I'm currently taking 15mg of Remeron at night and 15mg of Cipralex in the morning. I've been on Remeron since 2012 and went down from 30mg to 15mg the last few weeks. The Cipralex I just started 8 weeks ago and went from 5mg to 10mg and now 15mg for the last 4 days. I am also taking Lorazapam to help me when I'm really anxious. The plan is to move to 20mg of Cipralex  in 3 days and try to stabilze on it for the next 2 to 6 weeks. I've been having horrible side effects but I'm determined to stick it out. I would prefer to get off the Remeron if possible. 

I've been suffering from Anxiety and depression for 16 years and I did get better before. I had morning anxiety and once I got better it went away. I'm hoping this will happen again. I wil look at my blood pressure to see if that may be a problem.

• Posted

It will get better again!! I had a ton of morning anxiety when I was first diagnosed. It was explained to me this way: the amygdala, the part of your brain that feels fear, is where anxiety comes from. That part of your brain actually "wakes up" a few milliseconds before you are actually conscious in the morning. Evolutionarily, this makes sense - if you were a zebra, you needed your "DANGER!!" indicators to be really fast, or you'd get eaten while sleeping!

The trouble is, when you are having anxiety, your amygdala is on high alert, like, all the time. So it wakes up yelling, "DANGER!" before your conscious mind wakes up to tell it that nothing is wrong.

What saved me during this period was yoga. I had never done it before and was learning out of a book. So I'd basically leap out of bed, and the 30 seconds before I got into a pose were just agony. But then I had to put my focus on figuring out where my arm was supposed to go, etc, and that plus the breathing instructions helped calm me. It got to the point where it was uncomfortable, but I knew it would be gone by the time I was done with my shower. So I'd just wait it out while I did my morning routine. Eventually it went away completely.

The best advice I got from my therapist then was that no matter when you wake up, do NOT just lie there in bed. Get moving so you have something else to focus on, and just wait it out. And do all your normal self-care that you do when your anxiety is up, of course.

Hang in there. I logged on tonight because just had a really anxious evening and I was seeking some reassurance. You reminded me just with your question that I just need to wait it out, and it always goes away eventually. So, thank you!

Beth

• Posted

Hi Berh, thanks. I'm now on 20mg of Cipralex and I'm starting to feel a little better. Sometimes it's easy to forget that the anxiety will go away. For me it usually lasts last all day but lately I'm been getting better by 3 pm.

I'm also waking up and exercising each morning. I have to remember when I wake up to immediately get started with my activity.

• Posted

This happens to me too, frequently. I believe it is a programmed reaction, but also related to the amygdala as mentioned here before. I either wake up peacefully but secons later have this panicky "Oh sh*t!! Anxiety alert!!" reaction, or then I have the reaction just before I'm consciously awake.

At those moments it's very intuitive to lay on the bed and try to think it through. Yet it's rarely helpful. It's often better to just get up and start your day. However, getting up doesn't alwayd help either. At least for me, the anxiety may last hours, usually subsiding by noon.

• Posted

Hi Violet - Do you take any benzos? I was taking clonazapam and lorazapam for a very long time. I quit the clonazaam last year and in February I quit lorazaam and went n a low dossage of valium to help me taper. Last year when I would wake up I would go into awful panic attacks; sweating, nervous, frightened etc. Now I would say I'm at least 60 or 70% better. It's still uncomfortable but bearable. 

BTW, just stared readng a book [product name removed by moderator] The book is short and she gets to the point quickly without all the BS I have found in other books. I realy like her methods and have been trying to use them when I wake up. She basically says that we have had a nervous breakdown which she defines as our nerves are very sensitive due to whatever trauma or stress created it. Since our nerves are senstive, we get easily rattled.It's helping a little but I suspect like you that it is chenmical and something to do withthe amygdala and higher corisol levels in the morning. 

Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.