Morning anxiety is back

Posted , 4 users are following.

Two weeks ago, I started on 20 mg of Lexapro after 3 weeks on 10. had three great days last week. I was able to sleep all the way through the night to the morning. That is all over with. Back to square one. Morning Anxiety at 3 am. 5 am yesterday.... All day anxiety yesterday as well. It's been 5 weeks on this medicine and I don't think it's going to work. My therapist says that there should be some kind of relief by now, that a 3 day stint here and there followed by anxiety again isn't good progress. She thinks I may have to change medicines. I'm putting in a call to my pcp. today. She's my husband's partner, so hopefully I'll see her soon.

Can anytime relate to this? Is 5 weeks enough to see progress? 2 weeks on a higher dose? I can't take the ups and downs anymore!

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I recently got prescribed lexapro. My psychiatrist purposely gave me this because she said it was one of the lower of the anxiety meds and im super sensitive to meds. I cant even eat a piece of cake without getting super hyper and uncomfortable which triggers panic. Any who i initially was prescribed zoloft but that was way too much for me and made anxiety worse. Maybe you need something stronger? 
    • Posted

I'm starting to feel a little better. I've been able to sleep all night for 3 nights in a row. I did Zoloft over 15 years ago, but it made me like a stepford wife. Then effexor XR. But it went generic and my generic was discontinued and it was substituted with something equivalent. So I had to wean off and start Lexapro. I can't say it's been easy by any stretch. Anyway, I think it's starting to work, in giving it two more weeks. Then my Dr. And I will decide what's to do next.

• Posted

Natalie... I'm the same way as u r.. can't eat very much sweet.. last evening ate about 5 pieces of pecan and chocolate. candy.. oh my wrong move..I've been on 5mg of lexapro for 7 days and then went up to 7.5... I feel like it's to much for me right now.. more choking feelings and having aniexty over not having aniexty.. crazy huh !! Or I feel that way.. so I'm going back down to 5.0 mg. Today... 

• Posted

Good luck! I hope you find the right med that works for you. I know these things take time to actually effectively work
  • Posted

I'm sooo sorry u r feeling so much aniexty... All I can say is I feel your pain... I just started on Lexapro and I'm doing it very slow..I've been on 2.5 am and pm for 7 days and just added 2.5mg at 3 pm... It's started my aniexty back up... I have this choking feeling in my throat and I know with aniexty the more u think about it the worse it gets .. I just hope this stops soon because I'm about to loose it with this aniexty thing... I hope your days get easier and for what I have read on the blog site it will.. Take Care

• Posted

Hi Tammy,

I been 6 Week on 10 mg escitalopram and now 6 weeks on 20 mg and I can say I start feeling better this last week, so my advice is it gets better but is very gradual and it takes time, if you upper the dose it takes another number of weeks of adjustment and additional side effects that will go away..

Good luck..

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying. It's been very difficult and your response gives me some hope. It's been close to 3 weeks on 20 mg. Before that, it was 3 weeks on 10. I am having moderate anxiety throughout the day, but it seems to go away around 5:30 pm. Still, I'm walking up at 3, 4, or 5.... And it doesn't matter which time, I fall asleep for a few minutes and then wake up again. So I've been very very tired which doesn't help with anxiety.

Thanks again!!!

• Posted

Yes it is roller coaster ride, I don’t have anxiety anymore but my mood is still low ,I can sleep good  there is definitely progress since I started medication, just hoping for my motivation to come back, 

If you have anxiety that is persistent you can ask gp. for benzodiazepines like Ativan or Xanax they usually start working in 15 minutes but don’t used often, they can become addictive..

You will feel better Tammy, just be patient and keep as posted for any progress...

• Posted

Thank you! I will. I do have some Ativan that I use as needed. Usually just a .25 of 1 mg. But sometimes I need .5 at bed time. Or else the morning is worse!

Just today, it dawned on me that by 5 p.m. the last several days, my anxiety subsides, but I'm so exhausted. I fight to stay up till 10. Then it must start again anytime between 2 or 3 a.m. which is when I wake up. Once I take my dose at about 7 a.m., it's back to the anxiety til about 5 p.m. At least it's getting to be consistent....which I hope the daily anxiety stops earlier than 5 p.m..... Then disappears entirely!

• Posted

P.s. I have no motivation either. I do walk the dog at a park.... In the snow.... In the freezing cold PA weather 🙄.... and that helps a bit. Other than that, simple chores are sometimes overwhelming.... But I think it's because I'm so so tired.

• Posted

Tammy...I understand completely what u r going thru.. my aniexty is of the am and last most of the day then a break happens around 2 pm then comes back around 5:30 r 6 pm when it starts getting dark and it hangs till I go to bed and shut my eyes and consentrate on my breathing till I fall asleep then I wake up a couple of times to go to the potty .. then when my husband gets up at 5:30 it hits again .. I try to fight it off ... because I'm by myself and sense I've been on lexapro I dont like being alone and that is a real game changer because I've always Loved my alone time...Hope u get to feeling better ... This is differently a journey...

• Posted

Hi Nickie, morning anxiety was bad today. I woke up around 5 and tried to stay in bed. I'd drift off and then maybe 15 minutes later as my body would relax, it's if my brain is sabotoging itself by walking me up like that.

I used to dread the evening, but it's when my husband cubes home and w sure and relax, we're binge watching the crown.....

So I think it's all about finding a routine that works for us. Anxiety is so unpredictable. I'm hoping that in 3 or 4 weeks at 20 mg, I'll be back to"normal". Everyone here and my therapist says so. So I'm praying you're all right! Thank you for replying!!! It means a lot.

• Posted

Tammy...Again sooo sorry about the aniexty.. and yes my brain does the same thing.. if I don't have aniexty my Brain wants my body to feel miserable and brings up aniexty.. I wish I could just shut it off (brain) and just enjoy life..I uppped my lexapto to 7.5 and had to go back down to 5.0 the choking sensation was dragging me down.. so I'm back at 5.0... I just have to keep reminding me this is a journey and it will take time.. You have A Blest Day and I'll put you on my Prayer list if u don't mind.. Take Care .. Talk Soon

• Posted

Thank you! I know we are all in this together. I pray for all of the anxiety sufferers out there. Yes, you can put me in your prayer list, I will do the same. God bless you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.