Morning Anxiety - PLEASE HELP

Posted , 5 users are following.

I currently wake up at 4-5am with a WAVE of anxiety hitting me - somedays its just about bearable - other days it is hell.

can ANYONE tell me something i can take to relieve these? I've tried beta blockers before bed and they dont seem to do anything.

I'm aware its probably caused by high cortisol / adrenaline levels, but i'd really appreciate anyone's POSITIVE experience about resolving this.

It really is DRIVNG ME MAD - the mornings are TERRIBLE

Thank you in advance

Neil

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

• Posted

Hi Neil

I was the same I used to wake up in a sweat with panic and it did pass I also used a pre recorded message from a group called no panic it's a landline number and the lady has a calming voice and just talks you through breathing properly and reassures you that you will be ok and you can call anytime and gave it playing on your mobile and because its prerecorded you can call anytime. If you want to try it the number is 01952 680835 it helped me a lot and also when had a wave of f at I let it pass like a cloud and just want to say I'm totally back to normal and feel great and you will too, mornings where the hardest for me too

• Posted

Well I started onn10mg if Citalopram 5 months ago, the first 5 days where awful my anxiety got much worse and fearful thoughts and no appetite then it got but better and I started eating more bug took z while fir me full appetite to cone back and I went to 15 5 weeks later as I was having waves of fear which I didn't like at all and me cups on a morning. The morning nerves are last to go but I would say a few months to feel a lot better and longer to feel back to my normal self and now after 5 months I'm great, how long have you been on the meds and what mg do you take?

• Posted

Debbie - i was on 10mg for a long time (with no issues) then my anxiety came back to due to life stresses - and relationship issues) - i went to 20mg for 6 weeks with little relief and now im on 30mg (for just over a week) 

im hoping for signs of improvement soon - but its not looking promising!

• Posted

Yes im on 10 now and feel good but you need to give yourself more time. My friend who I met on here is on 30 and she's really good but it did take a few months as your uppi g so have the side effects again. You will feel much better soon Neil

• Posted

Hi Neil, I share your hell and understand completely. All I can share are small things that help me a bit.

I take the Citalopram at night as it kind of knocks me out

I always wake up around 4am and that is when I take the beta blocker and I usually fall back to sleep after 20 minutes or so

After that I wake up about 7:30 am and I get up and in the shower right away. If I lay there focused on the terror and anxiety it just gets worse.

On a super bad morning I take half of a 5mg valium.

That's about it for me. Just trying to get thru 1 day at a time but wow it is a tough test. 7 weeks on Monday hoping a reprieve soon.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Shane.

I really hope it goes away? Somebody tell me it does go eventually?

I also take cit at night now...and take beta blocker before i go to bed. I wake at 4am..approx but i dont take the blocker then because i thought they take over an hour to work?

My alarm is set for 6am and i cant remember the last time it actually woke me up because im always up and nervous and forcing myself to get ready for work.

I cant take diaz cos i need to drive 45 mins to work. (I also dont want to get addicted to them)

Im SO FED UP of this..

Are you 7 weeks at 30mg?

• Posted

Hi M N Have you tried CBT or mindfulness, you really have to get your mindset on other things, thinking all the time of how you are going to sleep etc won't do you any good take care pat

• Posted

HI Neil. You are brave and amazing and I wish I could take the panic away for you. I can only offer adevice. I have found seeing a psychologist to be pivotal in my recovery. I got 6 sessions through bulk billing. It has helped me learn the ins and outs of the mind and learn mindfulness. My friend advised kava and as my meds are working I haven't tried it yet but it is stored in my mind for a later date. Last but not least I have been using an oil diffuser to blow out lemon balm. This stuff is magic especially with busy boys that put my nerves on edge. Maybe try that beside your bed and turn on before bed and then in the morning when you wake up. Take care and know this will get easier

• Posted

Nope 20mg. I'm a small girl. About 115 pounds. Doc felt 20 would be sufficient. Sounds crazy but doc suggested I chew the beta blocker or let it dissolve under my tongue. Apparently works faster this way. So I take it and do some deep breathing. Focus on Counting every breath until I fall back asleep. I only take a low dose valium if I am desperate. I don't like Benzo's for the same reason as you. How are you coping at Work? Work has been a struggle for me. I am getting by but so difficult. I have to fly across the country for business on Monday will be away a week client meetings, presentations etc. Just have to deal a day at a time I guess. No choice. I am jealous and amazed at all those that get relief at 3/4 weeks. Every morning I wake up shocked at how truly awful I feel. Gotta get better right!? Shane

• Posted

Pat, i am trying mindfulness, and i am on the NHS waiting list for CBT

• Posted

I have just started psychotherapy - so lets see how that goes.
    • Posted

Shane - this morning i woke up at 2.30am (after going to bed at 9.30pm) - and took a beta blocker then - i slept a little better and getting up was slightly better the fear was still there upon waking.

Work is hard - in answer to your question, i've had to leave early, and been sent home in tears a couple of times. I am trying to arrange reduced hours at the moment so that might help.

Totally understand what you are saying about being jealous of people who feel better after 3/4 weeks. This is my 7th week (today) and i am still struggling.

I really hope you are right - and i hope it gets better soon.

• Posted

We are on the same time frame. I am 7 weeks this coming Monday. I am exhausted. Need to see some improvement soon.

Hang in!

• Posted

Awful. Had a dream last night that my bulldog was stolen. Woke up in a complete panic state. Seems pretty silly now but terrifying at 4am. Feel completely off today, high anxiety ears ringing like crazy. So tired of all this.

How are you doing? We have to get better soon Right?

Shane

• Posted

Im sorry to hear that. Luckily the vivid dreams i have are ustally full on...but not scary...so far.

My morning was awful. I didnt sleep well, i felt sick and had a headache. I felt better around lunchtime. Im ok now but i know tmrw morning will suck again.

Tbh i dont share ur enthusiasm for improvement right now.

Neil

• Posted

I know. I am fighting like hell to stay positive. I am in toronto

Canada and it is just afternoon. I still can't shake this miserable anxiety but I need to get some stuff done today but difficult to find the motivation. We have to keep fighting Neil. We have invested so much time and pain we just can't give up. Every miserable day done is one day closer. I will give it 12 weeks if no improvement I will need to re-evaluate. Let me know how the therapy goes for you. I am concerned about my business travel next week. I might be bugging you daily for supportive posts😣😣

• Posted

I hope you are right that everyday is a day closer because ive just about had enough! 12 weeks is probably a good target. This will be week 8. (Week 2 at 30mg)

You are welcome to bug me anytime..i just hope i can maintain positivity!

Neil

• Posted

Bloody hell another awful day. Long painful flight and feeling super weird. Lots of random head pain and anxiety. Every thing feels wrong. So tired of this. If I could just get a couple of days break. Not having the usual evening relative calm. Hate this.

I know it's the drugs and over reaction. Thinking the worst. But this is hell.

7 weeks today and not a glimmer of Relief! Sorry for the negativity. Shane

• Posted

Hi Shane

Sorry to hear you are feeling crap, i am also feeling not great, two days of almost the same thing as you - my mornings have been stressful (and anixety riddled) - yet my afternoons (which are usually calm and 'ok' have also been emotional and if anything i've felt - down - or perhaps depressed. I'm trying to keep positive and believe that this is all part of the meds and the fact i only upped to 30mg just over a week ago, but its hard to be honest.

On a slightly more positive note, i made it to work this morning, which is more than i managed yesterday, and at the moment, i'm - well - on the edge, it could go either way - slightly leaning towards being more ok than feleing bad. 

Never apologise for the negativity Shane, i FULLY understand. 

How are you today?

• Posted

Hi Neil, are you still having good a rough go of It? I had a great afternoon/evening yesterday but woke up this morning in a panic of anxiety that pretty much hung around all day. I actually felt normal and hopefull yesterday but back to hell today. Fortunately I fly back home tomorrow. Difficult week acting normal on the outside while feeling Wretched inside. Exhausting. 8 weeks this coming Monday. Desperate for even small improvement.

Hope you are starting to have some better moments at your 30 mg dose. SHANE

• Posted

Hi Shane - good to hear from you. Sorry to hear you've had a rough time, i hope it improves.

Yesterday was weird, I woke up with no anxiety (although my daughter woke me up early so it might have been conicidence) Anxiety was quite low all morning and the whole day was relatively calm. It was quite surreal. I also saw the doctor and he said to carry on the same dose of Beta Blockers and Citalopram.

I sort of hoped that this morning was going to be just as good when i woke up - but it wasn't if im honest - I woke up quite anxious and althoug it hasn't been AWFUL - it hasn't really lifted yet. 

I think a bad nights sleep (daughter has a cold - doesnt sleep well when she does) again didint help - so im looking forward to sleeping this afternoon.

So in summary Shane - im not sure - if i feel better - or not - if these are just coincidental - or whether these are actual glimmers of progress.

I'm hoping they are!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.