Morning fatigue... not sure CFS but it's a start.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

Right, where to start. Let's get the the point and hopefully someone can direct me along the way. I have evil mornings, really evil. To be specific, my alarm goes off at 7 to go to work, cannot physically get out of bed until 7:45 minimum, then I'm just totally fatigued until at least 09:30 on a good day, 10:30 on a bad one. By fatigued I mean that I am almost entirely unable to function, physically and mentally. I just about scrape through those first couple of hours at work honestly thinking I am not going to make it through the day, really not, like I could just fall back to sleep at any moment. I know of sleep inertia, but it's not meant to last 3 hours. Then suddenly, the fog lifts and I am totally awake, but then I stay awake, I can keep going, and going and going. I only go to sleep in the evenings because that's what normal people do and force myself to sleep, but if I needed to, I could just keep going, I've gone 90 hours before now and was still pretty alert, but as soon as that sleep kicks in, regardless of whether I was only up for 12 hours or 2 days, whether I sleep for 3 hours or 12 hours, I'm back to square one with waking up again, I just cannot get going and I feel like death.

When the weekend comes and I don't have to get up for work the next day, so therefore don't have to go to sleep like a normal person on Friday night, then my sleep patterns go right up the wall. I'll eventually force myself to bed in the early, or not so early hours of Saturday and sleep till the afternoon, then same story with getting going again on waking. I sit here penning this at 02:30 in the morning. I've been awake for more than 19 hours and my work alarm will go off in 4 and a bit hours, I'm considering just going straight through as I'm not tired and I don't want to lose all those hours to waking up if I do go to bed now.

I'm a bit of a medical oddity to be honest. Brain Haemorrhage at 15, developed epilepsy at 31 and seem to have grown out of it again at 36. It seems the more I look for answers, the deeper the rabbit hole goes and nobody is really all that interested. The docs just tell me I need more sleep and write up Zopiclone. Well, yes that does make me go to sleep a bit more easily at night and I get more hours sleep, but I'm still just as ruined in the morning, regardless of how much sleep I get. There must be some kind of answer? Bloodwork all clean in case anyone asks, just a bit borderline low on Vit D.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Maverick. for sleep I prefer many soma rather than what I once used zyprexa which doc did not tell me it was also for my depression. now I have bone spurs in every joint. so pain med Dr only provide min meds because of our Gov using overdose addicts and pain people who can't get proper amt term themselves. I suggest Google best 3 inch memory foam sheets. stack 4 sheets to sleep like on a cloud. Amazon has ok 3 inch sheets at best. a $1K world class bidet screwed on top of toilet is a wonderful luxury worth having. meds online do exist real sometimes if needed. Terry.

• Posted

Have you come across Dysania and Clinomania which is a chronic inability to get out of bed normally due to mental issues like anxiety and stress plus people with cfs can suffer with this too?

I know its a really simple thing but have you tried to do a good form of excercise religiously at a set time daily particularly getting outside? Also have you experimented with allowing yourself enough natural light or experiment with making changes to affect your circadian rhythm?

• Posted

It may be connected to your cortisol levels. Our level of cortisol is ususally higher in the morning and gets us going but it sounds as if that's not happening with you. Then it plateaus out during the day. Your level of energy seems to increase as the day goes on. My relative with CFS has similar issues with cortisol - tired in the morning but then if any stress occurs or excessive activity it rockets up and he produces too much. It might be worth looking into this as a possible cause.

• Posted

Hi All,

I had heard of Dysania, not sure the medical world truly accepts it yet and still thinks the sufferers are lazy swines. Sue, interesting, thanks. That might be one to get checked out. I'd only heard or people being checked out for cortisol in relation to Addisons. To be honest my wife (who is also a senior nurse) is convinced I have Marfans - I'm tall, as in, top 0.5% tall, very slender built and cannot really put on weight and it's not for the want of trying. I just can't work out why, for the first few hours I'm not even in the room, I've actually caught myself nodding before, but then suddenly it's gone! But then I'm totally over-active and cannot get to sleep at the end of the day. What you said about something then triggering a response, even if I am totally asleep, a sudden emergency of flurry of urgent activity will snap me out of it and I'm up and going for the day.

Can't force that flurry of activity though - i.e. exercise or sprinting round the block does no good, it's has to be a proper "Oh Cr-p!" moment that actually jolts me mentally.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.