Morning Highs

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just wondering. Ive had type 2 for 12 years. Adult onset at 40 years old...not overweight and active. My numbers in morning are averaging 160. I was put on max dosage for metformin. Also take glipizide. Will i be put on insulin if the meds dont work? Really tying to keep off the injections but will do it if these readings dont come down. Any suggestions? Thanks

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

That is what happened to me just a bit later in life. 10 years on metformin and glipizide. The A1C started going up and now 4 years later I am doing 200 units of insulin a day. The big D changes any one who uses the words "under control" is lying to themselves. I have moments in time (months) where nothing changes for the bad. Then every once in awhile that changes. I have in the last year been slowly decreasing the A!C numbers. It is a constant battle with what I eat, when I eat and how much I eat. Your morning number is a lot higher thanI shoot for. I can keep lowering the A1C(6.4 last test) as long as I keep the morning numbers around 100. I have before lunch and dinner numbers up in your area. Everyone is different talk to your medical professional if that does not work out well get a new I am not a Dr and just thought of this , 160 might be ok considering you are not on insulin. Your Dr should be yopur guide. 

Best of luck.

• Posted

Thanks Drangd for the good advice.
  • Posted

I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to go on insulin.   I was on Metformin and a raft of other oral meds and found it absolutely useles, couldn't eat this, couldn't eat that - PITA.   Eventually I was put on insulin as the orals just didn't work, never looked back, now I can eat what I want, simply count carbs and inject the appropriate amount of insulin.   Hba1cs are around 6.4 and all pre meal readings around 90.   Obviously you can't always get it right, difficult to plan and stick to activity levels and sometimes you just simply get the carbs wrong.   Struggled for years on insulin until I stumbled onto carb counting, now never have hypos or hypers.   If your into self denial and masochism you can always go on the no carb/high fat diet and have perfect readings and a less than perfect lifestyle.   Not for me though!
  • Posted

It would seem to me that you need to do a radical overhaul of what you eat and drink and what you consume when.  I try to eat any carbs during the day when I'm active and not in the evening.  Personally I follow a Low GI diet, avoid saccharine and use stevia when needed, take supplements of chromium, cinnamon, turmeric and b vitamins regularly plus a few others every so often.  Good luck.  I would add that some people cope fine on insulin but it is not always so easy for others.
    • Posted

Thanks...I be been thinking about trying turmeric supplements. I drink green tea and use cinnamon almost daily.
  • Posted

Please don't be afraid to go on insulin.  My experience was different because I was diagnosed with Type One diabetes and was put on insulin right away.  

With insulin, carb counting, exercise and consultations with my health team, my A1C levels became manageable.

According to some health professionals, Type twos often(not always) progress to being insulin dependant.  My type two friends who have had this experience tell me that once they were on insulin, they felt much better.

Everyone is different though and getting advice from your health team is a priority if your blood sugars are not under control.

Good luck with whatever your decision is.

Cheers,

Pamela

• Posted

Thanks Pamela for your post. I have been cheating with my diet a little. I'm not against insulin. We"ll see what my a1 c is in a little while.

• Posted

I have had type 2 for 3 years and put on metformin May 2014, January 2014 blood sugars went completely out of conmtrol so put on max dose of both metofrmin and gloclozide which worked for a while until Jnauary this year when they went out of control again so put on insulin and I can honestly say I have not looked back. My blood sugars are now stable. The morning ones have never been above 7 since beginning of March and the only time they are raisedd during the rest of the day is if I have had too much carbohydrate. The injections are not a big deal, they are not painful and the type I am on I only have to take twice per day. I am just so pleased to finally begin to feel more like my old self!!
  • Posted

Insulin is far, far better than oral meds, you can take control of your diabetes rather than let it control you. Insulin is also recognised as the most efficient method of controlling diabetes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.