Morning pain

Posted , 11 users are following.

Have s question for you suffers out there, especially men. After 7 months of having this condition, I seem to have developed all kinds of morning pains when I wake up. They might be in the hands, mid back legs, and ribs. I am pretty sure the are PMR related, because they tend to go away, or at least get better, by mid-morning. I take my pred at about 3AM.

Just curious because this pain presentation is very different from what I first experienced, which was bad him and leg pain, which has gotten much better.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello carnut, it sounds like a question for your dr sooner than later. Have you reduced your prednisone too fast or far? Far being past where your inflamation isn't controlled any longer. I have had many flrares where the pains would return especially when i went below 8.5mg . finally down to 1 mg after 7.5 years. I hope you get to the bottom of your issuses.

• Posted

You might, of course, have another condition. I have osteoarthritis, and early level of pred dose helped that. But now at a low dose I'm aware of the pain of OA which is not unlike what you are describing - not saying this is what you have, of course. I'm pretty sure that's what it is because a lot, although not all, of my residual pain goes away if I need to take another med, like aspirin or tylenol, for a headache.

• Posted

No, its not osteoarthritis. X-rays of hips sow none and knees are good. probably not enough pred at this time.

• Posted

Well, that's good. i have arthritis in my hands, feet and spine, including neck and lumbar spine. Apparently I have a little in my knees, discovered when I had a tibial plateau fracture. But when I came down with PMR I had such hip pain I thought I'd better get in line for a hip replacement. X-rays showed no OA in hips! It was all referred pain from my spine, and as PMR has improved, so has this hip pain. I guess that's a convoluted way of saying that clear joints in one area doesn't mean whole body is clear. I'm not wishing OA on you, just suggesting it might be something other than PMR. But if you stop tapering for a while to see if it improves, or even increase slightly, you'll have your answer!

• Posted

Is the diagnosis of PMR pretty certain?

• Posted

I've been on the PMR circuit approaching 2-1/2 years now but can't say I've had leg or rib pain as you've described. After 8-12 months I did develop pain/tenderness of the hand muscles - not the joints. As I've reduced the prednisone dose so has the hand tenderness. I'm now at 7.5 mg, working towards 7 mg and the only time I really notice the hand tenderness anymore is when I first start the next reduction. After a few days to a week it fades away again. I'm doing a split dose - 7a.m./11p.m.

• Posted

I had this pain but only in right wrist on reduction. Now on 5.5mg and get it no more luckily.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.