Morning Ramblings

Posted , 13 users are following.

It's 5 in the morning.  Things have been going pretty well all things considered.  I've learned to scale back my work to match the Pred dose and that's made a big difference.  Taking the 2nd 1/2 of my spit dose about 11 pm was a great help as well.  One sure has to pay attention though - can't get lax about things or you get a painful reminder.  Like right now.  I dozed off in the recliner about 9 last evening and hadn't set my pill alarm.  I woke up about 3:30 to that familiar pain in all the familiar places and knew right away I'd missed taking the pills.  Well, at least it doesn't hurt to type on the keyboard!

In one way it sucks to be so dependent on each dose.  But having a morning like this also reminds me what life would be without Prednisone!  I know we all gripe about Pred and want off it but it really is a miracle drug for people with PMR.  I hate to think what life would be without it.  Hopefully the Pred kicks in soon and all will be well in the world again.  Crazy huh.  Sometimes I wonder if this is how it is for a drug addict.  Not the same I'm sure, but similar.  

It seems like every 3-4 months I pull this stunt and forget to take a dose.  In a way it's not a bad thing.  You get a stiff reminder how you felt back when you didn't know what had happened to your body and life.  The "New Normal" isn't necessarily fun but it beats the heck out of the alternative.  Not all of us will achieve improvements in lifestyle like Michdonn but that's all right.  We're doing the best we can and not throwing in the towel.  It's a good fight and I'm thankful. 

I often shudder to think what it must have been like 50-60 years ago to have PMR before it had a name and before there was any treatment for it.  As a kid I do recall seeing a farmer who spent most of his days and nights in a chair because the "arthritis" was so painful and he couldn't be laying in bed either because of pain.  Wonder if I was looking at PMR that day. 

Always interesting to read all the opinions, problems and ideas here.  The information from this forum has been at least as important as anything I've learned from the doctors and rheumys.  Truthfully I'd be much worse off and pretty ignorant without this forum to refer to.  Sorry for the morning ramble.  It felt like a good way to pass some time while I wait for the meds to kick in.  Take care everyone.

4 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

An addict will often times say that they are "sick" when they are actually in need of a fix. And they search for that fix not always to get high but too stop the withdrawal pain and sickness. It is very sad that an addict is so chained to their drug. I have had chronic back pain for many years before getting PMR. And I have to take opiates to control that pain. For more than 10 years now I have been chained to opiates to control my pain and now in the same way I am chained to my prednisone to control my PMR pain. Like you I often think what trouble I would be in if it were 50 or 60 years ago. Of course back then they gave opiates to people with pain a lot more freely than they do now in today's day of opiate addiction problems. But I would still be plagued with the pain from PMR and arthritis.

• Posted

Really good reflection...

PMR did have a name 60 years ago - it was first described in 1888! My grandfather and great aunt both had what was almost certainly PMR - and like me, it lasted for years. But they called it "rheumaticks" and accepted it was just part of getting older.

• Posted

EileenH, let's not get OLD! I vote for staying young! ??

• Posted

My stepmother always told me not to get old, but I don't think she understood what she was really saying.  At least I hope not.... 😆

• Posted

Anhaga, I am trying my damnedest no to get old. PMR had me on the ropes for awhile, but I bounced off them. I try to stay busy learning and physical each day. I really do have a positive attitude and smile, one of my friends is complaining about turning 61, I told I turning 81 and happy about it. I do not know what the future holds for me, but I still having a great time. Meei a 1/6 or us people in the morning for 20 mile bike ride, I just consider myself LUCKY! ☺️
    • Posted

We all seem to do a pretty good job brain-wise. Shame the body doesn't always agree though!

• Posted

It surely does not come easy, but so far for me the effort has been worthwhile. I consider myself very fortunate. Working all the time to get stronger, smile on my face and positive attitude. ☺️
  • Posted

Like you Raven, I am very grateful for all the things I have learned from this site.

Hope you have a better day tomorrow.

• Posted

It was first called senile rheumatic gout.  I've always been very relieved they renamed it - I don't think I would ever have admitted to having something called senile rheumatic gout! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.