morning restlessness

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everybody --- I know that we seem to have touched on most topics but I have been noticing a distinct pattern of morning nerves/restlessness that seems to improve throughout the day.  Wondering if anyone else struggles with this?  I haven't been breaking out now in 3 months since my Xolair injections are working, but, still, I seem to start everyday with a restless/jittery feeling...difficulty concentrating on my work and feeling overall just nervous.  I do still take medication to help me sleep, either Gabapentin or Doxepin....but it doesn't seem to matter which, or neither, I still struggle with being able to sit at my desk and work.  Anybody else experience this?   

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi meemaw,

I truly believe a lot of this is due to high anxiety. I don’t sleep all night and never thought about sleeping medication but I wake up shaky and anxious but I have no idea what I’m anxious about. I ask myself is it because I’m worried about breaking out in hives, or actually how its a real struggle most days with fatigue that I beat myself up that I can’t keep up with everyone else mentally. In which I mean that most days I feel like I’m so tired I’m away with the fairies and that adds huge amounts of pressure that I will fall behind or miss something important in my work. To be honest I couldn’t put my finger on it and it’s something I would like to discuss with my doctor but feel I can’t. It’s hard enough trying to get them to actually truly understand what we have and go through without then telling them how I’m feeling. Maybe it’s my doctor and she has said she has no knowledge of this illness so she can’t really understand. I don’t know about you but it’s just go see the dermatologist have this and that to cure the rash but it’s so much more than that. I’m sorry to hear how you are feeling, as this must make you more anxious knowing you have to face another day feeling like you do. I would try and speek to your doctor/ consultant as see if they have also had a patient with the same symtons. I’m praying this illness gets more recognised and the huge impact it has on everyday life. I think it’s amazing for people that are able to work, but I will be honest this illness as a whole has knocked me off my feet. Please don’t let this illness rule your life as I have become a recluse in my own home and don’t really go out of the door. Why? Again like yourself I don’t know. 

• Posted

Michelle; thank you for your quick response.  I agree with you 100% about the level of overall anxiety and how very few people understand.  That's one of the reasons why I am so grateful for the friendships I have made through this forum.  We may only know each other by a pen name, but we are all kindred hearts.  I HAVE to work, I have no choice......and as far as trauma, my life got WAY worse after my hives began when my husband had to go through brain surgery.  Thankfully, I work from home, so I am in complete control of my day in regard to appointments or just the need to step away from my desk and take time to relax.  As you said, my dermatologist is successfully treating my hives, but does not listen or try to help with all the other issues such as anxiety and weight gain that I cannot seem to get rid of.  Dieting takes a lot of determination and discipline and I just don't have sufficient discipline in my life right now to deprive myself of foods that I enjoy and bring me comfort.  I cannot get my primary care physician or my dermatologist to help me with the weight......what would it hurt if they just prescribed me an appetite suppressant to get me started?  Nevertheless, thank you for your response and I wish you all the best and total and complete healing in your future! 

• Posted

Wow yes I’m totally with you in the weight gain. I’m getting married in July, and trying to attend a gym and try to eat better but I can’t seem to get it down. It doesn’t help when your feeling down and we turn to food for comfort. I see it as there could be much worse we could turn to so it is what it is. But I too went through an awful experience 6 months before and it was such a shock to my system. I’m so thankful to this site also as it is the only thing that makes me feel I’m not alone. I have to say though you have been through a huge amount of upset and I’m not surprised that it must of impacted you somehow. Sometimes we have to be strong for others and we don’t physically have time to listen to what our bodies are saying. We miss all the signs that actually we are making ourselves poorly. I don’t know about you but I’m a very strong headed person, ambitious, career minded. But I feel I’ve lost a huge part of who I was with all this. I keep telling myself it’s ok to have bad days, but look at the positives I have around me and be thankful. I can’t change the past but like hell am I going to let my future slip. 
  • Posted

There was one more thing. I don’t know about you but did anything happen that was traumatic to you that happened the months leading up to when your first got this? 

When people think of trauma we think of a huge incident, but it’s something that can be simple but impacted on your life. Only a few people including myself have had this. I’m wondering if the body does something to itself to cause this.  

• Posted

I’m sure it’s caused by anxiety also because I was going through something more stressful then i can handle and going through menapause at the same time and i thonk it messed up my hormones and my immune system. I truly believe that.  
  • Posted

I get the restless and crampy leg thing but at night. It usually happens at the same time as an outbreak of intensely itchy hives. I tend to feel feverish and flu-y at the same time and it causes insomnia as I toss, turn and itch all night. For me, more Gabapentin usually reduces it enough to sleep eventually. But then coming out of the Gabapentin and especially Doxepin fog can be very hard in the morning and itself causes stress. Are you drinking a lot of coffee in the morning to help you wake up? That will cause nervousness, anxiety and restlessness. Gabapentin and especially Doxepin will make it harder to concentrate too, which I found causes me stress at work and in my general life. I've noticed when Gabapentin starts to wear off I can start to feel anxious too, which makes sense as it does reduce anxiety.

My wife had it during the third trimester of pregnancy. She found cutting out caffeine completely helped. She just had her folate (iron) levels tested and they were on the low-side. It is a symptom of anemia. She also found Yoga helped and also not getting herself too tired. Tai chi would probably help too.

• Posted

Good suggestions!  Thanks a bunch.......spring time will help too, I hate cold weather!  LOL 

• Posted

Yup, it was around zero degrees celsius here today and even in gloves my whole thumb and my fingers up to my knuckles started to swell and turn lobster coloured. After 20 minutes, they were really starting to hurt. Had to get in before they got hivey, as that comes next. When I looked in the mirror in the bathroom, I had a big owl-shaped pattern of redness around my cheekbones and forehead from the cold. That's the only problem with getting away from the cold for a bit. When you come back, you are more sensitive. We go back to Spain again on Monday, can't wait. Wish I didn't have to come back to the UK before March. 

By the way, I also realised since earlier that my feet and hands also go numb very easily, especially the little finger and toes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.