Morning sickness for 3 straight years.. HELP!

Posted , 3 users are following.

3 years ago I started having occasional morning nausea.. Which was then followed by an episode where I passed out, followed up a flare up of what was then diagnosed as Optic Neuritis.. within a month of that I was then diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. within six months of being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, the nausea was constant, every morning and i even started throwing up food that i had eaten 15-16 hours prior. I had an upper scope done, which showed a little bit of gastritis and a gastric emptying study, which also came back normal, but the test was actually done incorrectly. I stopped seeing that dr because he told me there was nothing else he could do, so the new Dr. I saw actually was convinced i had gastroparesis regardless of the emptying study.. This went on for about a year with a pretty much liquid diet and there was ZERO improvement. My next appt i was informed that that doctor was no longer seeing patients in clinic so I had to see a new doctor once again. This dr had me do another gastric emptying study, which again came back normal so when i went to confirm my appt that following month i found out that dr also left! This is U of M hospital so its not some scummy practice but ive troed every anti nausea remedy, pill, diet that you can think of and STILL I wake up with painful morning nausea. I have constant hearburn and I feel like im swallowing a lump. At this point I've come to realize that I'm going to need to try and diagnose myself because seeing a new dr every appt does nothing but put me in debt and yet I'm still suffering. I thought maybe it was my MS but any opinions out there I am willing to listen to.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Instead of seeing new doctors at the same hospital why not try another hospital?

• Posted

The first Dr. I did see was at his own practice, but after doing those 2 tests, them coming back normal and me not responding to any anti nausea meds he told me he could not help me and that I needed to find a different dr. The dr who diagnosed me with Gastroparesis was the 1st dr i saw at U of M, he then left and then I was stuck with an intern who has graduated and a dr from the unit but apparently he only sees patients on his own with Crohn's disease. Now I'm thousands of dollars in debt with not even an idea of what could be wrong. However, I am going to look into other options but U of M is one of the best in the US.

• Posted

Hi cassie6618

What time is your last meal before bed?

What do you eat? Try keeping a food diary to see if you have a food intolerance. It sounds as if your food is unable to digest and therefore by morning you are nauseous. Do you eat late at night and eat large amounts of food? do you eat quickly? instead of eating slowly and giving your food time to digest? Is your diet healthy? Do you drink plenty of water. These are all possibilities that may be contributing to your digestive and nausea problems....

• Posted

Hi Mary,

To answer your question simply, I've tried everything my drs told me to, even at one point being on a pretty much puree diet.. Which did nothing, but thats also during the time I was diagnosed with Gastroparesis. I've been going through this literally, EVERY SINGLE DAY for the last 3 years. Not one morning does it fail me.. No matter what I do or don't do. I could give you a mile long page of the things I've tried. One thing I will say, is that I haven't eaten lettuce in over 2 years because I've it up as much a 2 DAYS after I ate it. Vegetables seem to hate me.. Recently I threw up a perfectly intact canned pea.. 17 hours after I ate it.. How is that even possible?? As far as my diet now, I don't really eat much other than chicken potatoes and breads/crackers ect. And no its not cooked all crazy and full of fat because I can't even really spice my food or my esophagus pays the price. I keep things pretty plain. One thing I do do that I know doesn't help, but also know isn't the cause, is I drink plain carbonated water. I haven't always, but I have within the last couple of months. I don't eat any nuts or seeds because those are hard to digest, but one thing I havent tried is going gluten free. I just need to research it. I swear sometimes I just think it's my MS because when I did some research about the chemicals your brain releases to initiate nausea in your body, they can be affected by the lesions on your brain, which I have 4, just not 100% on the exact location, and for this issue, if it is my MS the location of the lesions matter. Right now I'm just putting this out there hoping maybe I reach someone going through something similar or maybe just someone who knows something I dont.

• Posted

Also, I forgot to add, my meals are small in size and I can't eat very much without feeling full very quickly so I don't consume a lot of food throughout the day but I do always have pretzels or crackers or something like that to snack on. I stop eating 3 hours before I go to bed because that's what they told me is the recommended if my stomach is not digesting food properly.

• Posted

Hi cassie6618

Wow!...there's a to do you have been through.....i think it will be a good idea to try gluten free 😊🤗 i do gluten free and it is fine you can get all sorts of gluten free food from well known supermarkets. I am also lactose free, caffeine free and sugar free. Have ago at these changes, but do it gradually. I did it gradually to give my digestive system time to get used to my new way of eating....all ok👍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.