morning stiffness

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi im 9mths post op from revision tkr i am at last more  or less getting back to real living and my energy levels are much better my question is first thing in the morning when i first put my feet out of bed my leg wont support me i have not got a fully straight leg  so i guess it has to do with the leg not straighening ,when ive gone to the bathroom and walked around the bedroom for awhile it starts to work (support me)has anyone else got this and will it emprove itself  or not or if i can do some excersises to help it  what i mean not supporting me is that it stays bent for about 5 mins

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm 15 weeks post op and although knee is heeling fine and feels stronger (I've had new knee cap and metal bit behind it) I'm still working hard to build up my muscles due to some muscle wastage. When I first get up it feels as if all my strength has gone out of both my legs, but after gently bending operated leg to get it going I can (just about!) straighten my it. Once I've had breakfast, taken medication and showered I feel better, but its very strange. Some mornings it's as if I've actually forgotten how to walk "normal", plus the fact I think I've lost my confidence a bit. Will be glad when I return to the "old me". But........after all this time I can actually feel some slight improvement daily.....hope it continues!! 
  • Posted

Linda, I have both knees replaced at the same time, so I didn't have the luxury of not being able to do something...there was no other leg to fall back on. But I do still have problems (my surgery was last October). My legs straighten nicely and the bend it okay, but my right knee is more of an issue and there is some odd thing that hurts near the groin area of that leg, which makes it impossible to do certain things (will be seeing a doctor about it once I resettle - I have returned to the US from India and am traveling).

One thing I do while in bed is both bend and straighten my legs before getting up. Obviously it works better when I'm not in a rush to get to the toilet. lol

• Posted

well moandrieu ive been there too i had bi lateral  2 and a half years ago but also a broken leg to go with it and yes its like not having a leg to stand on  you will get there in the end but its so hard good luck  to you
  • Posted

Straighten my leg (not my "it" lol!) Knee may be improving, can't say brain is! 
  • Posted

Hi Linda

I'm the same (although I have got the issue that mine won't straighten and I'm having further surgery inSept).

I think, to be honest, that it depends what position you sleep in.  My first TKR was my right knee (Dec 2012) and I am most comfortable going off to sleep on my stomach with that leg straight.  I always sleep with my left leg (TKR Sept 2014)  hitched out to the side...so in the morning it's a nightmare, firstly turning it and then trying to out weight on it.  It's also been a lot more painful since it was manipulated in March.  It drops down a little as I walk around indoors,but once I've sat at my desk for a while, I'm back to square one.  And putting shoes on makes it worse.

I will be having it opened up again, and have been told that I really must work on keeping it straight...so I can't see that I'll be getting much sleep again.

Patsy

• Posted

hi patsyrose that wont be easy i know because ive had it opened before i had a revision because of broken cement it was like starting all over i wish you the very very best well at least im not alone with the problem the funny thing before the revision i had a straight leg but bend was terrible
  • Posted

Regarding exercises. Buy some ankle weights from a sports shop and exercise with these. Practise sitting on a chair and straightening your leg with the weight on your ankle.

Slowly and gently at first then increae as you get more confident.

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.