Morphine for nighttime sleep

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I've just discovered this resource, so greetings to you all.

I'm a 59 year old male with a long history of endurance sports. Three weeks ago I had a posterior LTHR.

All seems to be going well in terms of recovery apart from in one area - night time sleep. I was using meptid and paracetamol during the day and opiates/oramorph with some success at night but recently decided to stop the meptid/opiates/oramorph due to the brain fug I found I was having during plus constipation issues. So now I'm down to taking a couple of paracetamol during the day and the rest of my daily allowance (heeding the four hour rule) through the night.

But I'm unable to sleep at night. It's like I'm wired on caffeine (I'm not) - could this be some kind of opiate withdrawal which will pass? I don't feel in great pain... a discomfort, for sure but not bad pain like immediately post op... so am loathe to use opiates just to help me sleep.

When did you good folk knock out your heavy painkillers? Any advice on night time sleep, accepting that I'm doing all the stuff you would expect to facilitate comfortable sleep? I have a bottle of oramorph right next to me and am tempted to start taking it just to sleep but have a nagging suspicion the solution is to persevere without opiates rather than step back and begin the whole process again.

Thanks in advance.

Hubblebubble

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

at three weeks sleep is elusive for most hippies. in time once healing continues and your walking better it will get better.

there is short term healing 3-6 months and long term healing 6-12 months.

try stool softener taken either as a powder placed in drinks or pill form.

after 3 hip surgeries it never gets any easier and each one is different.

in time you will be glad you chose thr as your mobility and your quality of life improves .

• Edited

I am 3 weeks out from a LTHR and have all but stopped the codeine based painkillers. The hospital gave me a weeks supply of dihydrocodeine and my GP renewed my repeat prescription of codydramol. i found when i moved onto the latter i could gradually reduce it before moving onto paracetamol only. if you just stop the codeine based painkillers you do get withdrawal symptoms. i am sleeping ok now but not enjoying another 3 weeks on my back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.