Morton's Neuroma

Posted , 56 users are following.

I've had foot pain for sixteen years and been told it's arthritis and I had to live with it.After seening two rhuematoligests in two different hospitals,I finally managed to get ultrasound,which proved I had Mortons on both feet. So full of hope of an operation I saw my G.P. today. No op. only injections. I'm so gutted. I thought after all these years I would be pain free and it's not going to happen. sad

2 likes, 164 replies

164 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have Morton's neuroma and the cortisone injection had no effect at all. Some days I can wear my orthotics, other days it still hurts. No one on this forum has mentioned FitFlop shoes, which were recommended to me by a friend with Morton's. The clogs work the best for me, and are the only shoes I can wear on some days. No one has discussed cryogenic surgery, or radio frequency ablation. I am waiting for an appointment to see if I'm suitable.
    • Posted

I have Morton's in both feet, had a series of cortisone shots, (first three about six weeks apart), then since only one of those shots gave relief, Dr. then supposed I had Two Neuromas on each foot and so wanted to do a second series of shots - mind you he was simply aiming the injection where he said neuromas should be -and injecting through the top of the foot.  I had two more injections before I thought it didn't seem correct to me.  Had to leave my job after reducing hours -just could no longer be on my feet.  Started to research and saw cyrosurgery and ligament snipping as other options, and kept that on the back burner while having been refered to another (very distant) Dr. who treated members of a ballet troup.  That Dr. asked if the previous Dr. was using ultrasound guidence to inject the cortisone.  No, I said.  He shook his head, and said, you have to use ultrasound guidence to hit the neuroma on spot.  Clearly that was the case for me, and so I had ultrasound guided cortisone shots and amazing relief.... for about six months, then the pain returned, I had one more U-guided shot lasting about eight months with gradual return of pain along with orthotics designed by the Dr. along with suggested New Balance runners which helped a lot.  I have wide feet and have tried many brands - FitFlops helped for a while but then I tried Finn-Comfort clog style and they have been the best everyday shoe for me.  Since I felt I had tooooo many cortisone shots, (though the good Dr. said it's ok if they are not too close in time repeated) - thought I would try the cyrosurgery on one foot, after finding a local Dr. able to do the cyrosurgy.  I was so hopeful - asked him if he used ultrasound guidence to do the surgery, he replied yes!  I asked how many has he performed, he said about 300 and that an intern could do this in his sleep.  Hmmm, not in love with the attitude but I agreed to give it a try on one foot.  The ultrasound machine was behind him to the left so he had to turn and glance at it, back and forth - no good, he really didn't use it or have an assistant so I ended up with no relief but also with my second and third toe completely numb.  I guess he hit some part of some nerve...  My point is please have proper ultrasound guided treatment although many Dr.'s seem to think that is not necessary.  Clearly from all the research I find there is still a lot of trouble treating nerve issues.  I will say that the distant, good Dr. had another Dr. and dedicated ultrasound clinitian working in tandem side by side, the clinitian staring at the ultrasound and verbally guiding the Dr. injecting the space in between the toes deep into the neuroma.  Like they were landing a spacecraft on the moon.  Perfect.  (The first Dr. I saw and his five injections "aimed" from the top of the foot were wasted.)  I asked the good Dr. "If you put more cortisone in the shot would it last longer?"  He replied, "The amount of the cortizone is the same everytime after studies have shown that this amount is found to be enough to have positive effect whereas more can have a damaging effect."  It's now been a year since my last visit to the good Dr. and with the orthotics - and buying larger shoes to fit them as well as the Finn-Comfort shoes which don't need additional orthotics for me, and staying off my feet as much as I can, I'm living with the condition.  Recently, I had to do more walking than usual and it's flared up after to the point of maybe I'll be going again to the distant Dr. as no one in my vacinity will do what works for me.  I've certainly have had to change my lifestyle, no more walking much etc... it's a delicate balance to know how much or how little bits of pressure on the feet will  aggravate the pesky neuromas.  Good luck and keep us posted :~)

• Posted

It's now six months since I had the op and it's getting better all the time. I have to admit I didn't realise what a slow process it would be, but the funny shooting pains have gone and although the numbness still feels a bit weird I can wear all my normal shoes other than the tight ones, although I still find Fitflops the most comfortable. I've been told to continue the calf-stretching exercises and wearing my orthotics for long walks, which I do, but I haven't attempted a walk longer than two hours yet. I can also run. All in all, although I'm not where I was three years ago before all this started, I'm much better off than I was this time last year!
  • Posted

I have just joined this group and am intereted in all the comments on Morton's neuroma surgery.  I'm on a hospital waiting list to have this op.  Having researched this procedure, I believe the most common method of surgery is to cut from the top of the foot, but my surgeon only does this from the ball of the foot and I'm concerned as I've read there could be more complications this way.  Is there anyone here who has had surgery for MN where the incision is made on the ball of the foot, or do you know of anyone who has?  Am hoping that any post op pain won't be as bad as the pain I'm having now!  Not looking forward to it but it really needs to be done.  Reassurance needed!
    • Posted

I am new to the forum.  I really hope the op helps you.  It has made my pain much worse and after 18 months I don't think this will improve!  good luck.  I had the incision on the top of the foot so cannot give any feedback relevant to you. I wish I had NOT had the op but you can't go backwards can you? I now realise how many people suffer with problems like my own. good luck
    • Posted

I am having the op on the 2nd March. It's very disappointing hearing your story, and I do hope things get better - from my research on the web most people have improvement eventually. It's also worth pointing out to others on this forum that you rarely hear from people who have had a good outcome - it's those looking for further suggestions when things go wrong.
    • Posted

Hi Margaret. Have you had your surgery yet? If so I hope it has been a great success for you. Iv had the surgery twice on the left foot first wa so top the second the sole. Recovery from the sole was definitely harder and longer and still in pain as there is now more tissue damage to the nerve and incision area. I have been one of the few really unluckily people where the surgery has not been a success. I have now developed a MN on my rite foot which you can read my previous comment on this. 

Hope your getting some rest bite from pain and good luck.

• Posted

Hi delia and penelope.  I have had my op and it didn't go anywhere near as I was expecting.  Got a phone call from the hospital just before Christmas asking if I would like to go in on New Year's eve as they were trying to fill the holiday slots.  I went then to get it over with but didn't get the surgeon I was expecting.  I was relived that this surgeon only cuts from the top of the foot.  The ultrasound scan showed what appeared to be a MN, but I was told at the follow up appointment last week that what he found, and removed, was something else (just a piece of fibrous tissue.)  He told me that all the pain I am having couldn't possibly be caused by that.  Since the op, I've been in lots more pain, mainly from the surgery and healing process, but also the ball of my foot has been much worse. ( I also have nerve pain and odd sensations in the two toes above the scar but hopefully this will heal up in time.)  It appears that the reason for all of this pain I've been having is due to metatarsalgia (collapsed metatarsals, so I'm told) and there is surgery available to reconstruct the bones and toes, but it isn't recommended as the healing process lasts 9 months and its only 30% successful anyway.  I was told to wear shoes with rigid rocker bottoms  like sturdy trainers or walking boots.  As yet, I can't find anything suitable.  I'm wondering if Fitflop sandals would be good to wear in the Summer.  In the meantime, Iike so many of you here, I'm having to cope with debilitating pain on the top and ball of the foot.  Does anyone know much about metatarsalgia and how to cope with it?
    • Posted

Hi Margaret sorry to hear you've not had any rest bite since surgery. Sorry I can't advice on the metatarsalgia. But try a good running show which has the rocker bottoms. I had a pair of puma ones a couple years ago cost £75 but was worth it at the time as I also have sunken In steps and they helped with that as they make you walk in a more natural heal to toe. As for the strange pain and nerve sensation into your toes iv had that from the first surgery and got worse after the second due to the nerve damage caused due to surgery. When really painful it feels like iv stumped my toes of a wall, (I'm clumsy and have broken toes a few times by turning round at a door to quickly). 

I really hope you find a suitable comfortable shoe to wear and if you do please share. 

• Posted

that is awful.  do you mean the sort of shoes like those masai mara things that are supposed to mimic the action of the foot when walking in sand? They are really expensive.  I have a pair actually....must dig them out...but I dont think this is what I need. maybe they would fit you!  I bought them several years ago in Switzerland when I was living there but I really bought the wrong size and they would not take them back as I had worn them outside a couple of times. Cant remember the exact name of them...
    • Posted

Delia and Penelope, I've just got to keep searching around for some appropriate shoes.  In the meantime,I meant to mention that when out today looking around, I bought some orthotic scholl insoles for ball of foot pain from Boots.  They were expensive - £24.99 I put them in my shoes for the rest of the afternoon and although they helped, the shoe rubbed more on the top of the foot, especially the scar which was irritated and was more painful because of this.  I think most of these problems   have been caused through bunions which I've had for years.  Why are feet such a problem I often ask?  Its good to be able to have a moan on here and know that everyone else understands.  Walking holidays are definitely out for the foreseable future!!!
    • Posted

Can I mention FitFlops again? They do warm clogs as well as summer sandals, and I've lived in them for the last six months, as does my friend who also has MN. I had some orthotics specially made. They were very expensive, but using those in Merrill walking boots and the FitFlops are the only things that have kept me on my feet.

• Posted

hi Margaret, I think I just replied to a previous post of yours with my own story. I highly reccommend Birkenstock shoes. My foot prefers the sandals but in winter here they arent an option (7 degrees celcius) so i use clogs. 
  • Posted

I had the surgery on my left foot on Monday 2nd March, going in from the top. The bandages don't come off until the 13th, but amazingly, although they gave me painkillers to take home, I have had no pain whatsoever. Furthermore, and contrary to my expectations, I still have some feeling in the relevant toes. I have to walk on my heel on that foot, with the aid of crutches, but so far so good. Trying not to get too excited, but I can't wait for a proper try-out. 
    • Posted

Update - bandages off, a lot of bruising and some slight discomfort from the swelling, but the scar is tiny and still no pain. And... I'm wearing normal shoes!!!
    • Posted

Further update. The foot is still swollen, although the bruising has disappeared, and it feels uncomfortable. I'm finding that although I can wear ordinary shoes, wide ones work the best. I can't walk for too long, though, as the discomfort is unpleasant. I have now lost feeling in the relevant toes. The Morton's pain, which was like an electric shock, has completely gone.
    • Posted

If a nerve is destroyed, then the region that nerve supplies will be anaesthetic. You might say "so what, I am free of pain". However cutting the interdigital nerve can later produce a "real" neuroma. This thread is repleat with examples of persons who are worse for their surgery
    • Posted

Hi,

did you have 2 MNs removed from same foot?  Am I right in thinking the pain is gone and you have no feeling in the toes of that foot?  Is it an ok feeling though?  I am due an op in May for 2 and was told there would def be no feeling in the middle toe.

good luck and wish you all the best.  So far I take it, it has been a success?  That is good to hear!

• Posted

The foot is not only highly sensitive, but is extra-ordinarily rapid in appreciation. This is necessary as a protection against falling, which is the greatest hazard confronting the elderly. Only once does an insensate toe have to catch a rug to cause a fatal femur fracture.
    • Posted

Fortunately, it's not the toe most likely to encounter an obstreperous rug. I have just completed an hour's walk, with no pain. Getting used to the lack of sensation on the inside of the third and fourth toes may take some time, but if I'm concentrating on something else it's no problem whatsoever. The outsides of both those toes feel exactly the same as they always have done. I only had one Morton's neuroma removed, plus a bursa.
    • Posted

Hello,

You seem to know a great deal about foot conditions.  Am I right in thinking you practise in this field?

I am down for surgery in May for my second foot with two neuromas!  From what I understand of what you write, you say you don't get MN in the 2 places either side of Middle toe only on one sight?  That is where I am due

to get surgery for!  A bit worried now that the op will do more damage than good.  I had the op for 1MN on my other foot approx 7 years ago and all has

been well but this time it is 2 places and am a bit concerned.  What do you

suggest?  What would I ask the surgeon before going ahead so I know that the op is the right choice for me?  Thank you for advice.

• Posted

The short answer to your question is yes. However the rules of the site (correctly) preclude me from saying more.

Ask your surgeon how he came to the certainty of his diagnosis, and what co-lateral information he has to assure you.

• Posted

Can you give details of the book you wrote, JP? I think it would be very useful. And also - you didn't answer my question about alternatives to surgery. I really would like to know what you suggest instead.
    • Posted

The rules of this web-site (correctly) prevent my advertising. Therefore I cannot give more details, except to say that I have my own website which is searchable
    • Posted

Hi

i had a injection for a Morton neuroma , at the time I would get pain now again but since the injection I get pain all the time including shooting pains . I went back to the doctors after 3 weeks to say it's much worse and he informed me I had 2 in the foot which they did not tell me at the scan . I have been referred to orthopaedic surgeon and seeing an assistant in a weeks .

time . How did your surgery go for your two mn. Did it work?

to anybody who has the same I highly recommend sketchers trainers with memory foam insole , they are the best thing for my feet also I can remove the insoles and put them in other footwear 

• Posted

Agree about Sketchers trainers, or any good trainer with memory foam. I had the operation 18 months ago, and I am now pain-free, although the foot does feel odd if I think about it because I have no feeling in one toe. I'd like to stress that it takes a long time to recover from this surgery, and a lot of people are too impatient and expect too much too soon. But I can now wear any shoes I like, and walk as far as I want. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.