Morton's Neuroma - newly diagnosed

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Morton's Neuroma this week. The doctor took x-rays which didn't show anything in the area but diagnosed based on the physical exam and symptoms. There has been a clicking/popping between my 3rd and 4th toes on my right foot for the last 4 months and with a feeling of something like a small pebble in my shoe at times. I run a couple of times/week and land on the front to mid of the foot.

The doctor I saw said I can keep doing my activities that I am doing like running and if it gets worse, he offers steroid injections or surgery. I have read about a couple of other therapies - alcohol injections, radio frequency and shockwave therapies which I think are all done with the goal of deadening the nerve.

From some of the orthotics websites, they suggest not running with Morton's Neuroma but I don't have any extra discomfort after running and don't want to give it up if I don't have to. I am also wondering how successful surgery is? If it has a high success rate, I will be more inclined to keep doing what I am doing, with the confidence that it can be fixed if it gets worse. I have appointments with 3 more doctors in the next few weeks to get more opinions.

I have switched running shoes to Altra which have a nice wide toe box. I work at home, so walk around the house barefoot for most of the day. Any suggestions on how to manage this condition and feedback on therapies will be appreciated!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I forgot to mention in my original post that on the same foot I have Hallux Rigidus which is large and likely shifting the rest of the bones in my feet to the right.

• Posted

Hey Adamsdp,

Sorry to hear about the discomfort.

I was a C.Ped for some time at an orthopedic shoe store and Morton's Neuroma was a pretty common issue...along with Hallux Rigidus. And your description of the pain checks off all the classic symptoms.

Since you have appointments with other doctors, I'll comment more on the shoe/insert part of the equation. Obviously, rest is one of the best treatments but who really wants to stop their physical activity if they don't have to.

Switching to a wider toe box will definitely be helpful but I would also consider or try out options that have a stiffer sole, especially at the ball of the foot, or where the shoe bends. Everytime your foot bends or you toe-off, it really exposes the metatarsal heads. If you were to grab your toes and bend them back and feel the ball of the foot with the other hand you'll see how exposed they are.

Also, if you have a stiff big toe aka hallux rigidus then a shoe with a stiff toe bed should help with this too. You can also try products like met pads that can be easily placed on to the foot bed of the Altra and maybe some of your dress or casual shoes.

Good luck, I hope you find relief soon.

• Posted

Thank you Santanna76 and I will look into stiff inserts and see if that helps. I will also check out the met pads and see how they work in the Altra shoes which seem to be helping some already. All the best!

• Posted

Hi I may not have had neuromas as severe as others but I have found a brilliant way of managing my pain wearing small corn gel tubes on each toe either side of the nerve - they keep my toes comfortably slightly apart and seem to relieve the pressure on the nerves - I have gone from not being able to walk and waking at night in pain needing to ice my feet to no pain during the day and just a small amount in the morning when I first get up as I don't wear them at night - it has changed my life without needing surgery and I just wanted to share this. They sell them in packs of four - give them a try

• Posted

Thanks for the advice about the corn gel tubes and will order a pair. I have found something similar, yoga toes. I cut them down to fit around the 3rd and 4th toe which creates space between those toes and has eliminated the popping and discomfort.

• Posted

i just had Morton neuroma surgery 2 weeks ago. i had the neuroma between my 3d and 4th toe in the left foot. quite painful when wearing flat shoes,but would not hurt in heels surprisingly. did an injection that did not work on my neuroma so opted for surgery. the surgery was not pleasant. opted for local anastetich and was not aware there were 6 injections (painful ones) in the foot to numb it. had I known would ave asked for General. recovery has been great so far. no pain after surgery just it would get a bit heavy and swollen at the end of day. there is though a hard lump on the sole of my foot where the neuroma was removed. it is making me limp as its as if is a peeble inside my sole. not painful just super uncomfy. have an app with a doctor on the 7th and I will ask then about it. not sure if its swelling that has not gone down, scar tissue or what? but I hope it hoes away otherwise this would have not been worth the surgery .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.