Morton’s Neuroma Surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I've had Mortons Neuroma in my left foot (3rd webspace) for the past 3 years and have tried steroid injections, cryotherapy, radio-frequency and insoles.

Currently i'm considering surgery, after recently having radio-frequency it has improved but not enough. Using a spiky ball to massage under my foot is helping but i'd like complete relief.

Has anyone out there had surgery and would they recommend it? I'm a bit nervous about going ahead.

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

hi, 3 years ago I was suffering from Murker's click, Morton's Neuroma and had a few joints in the mid foot moving when I walked and had surgery by way of a mid foot fusion. it was 4 and a half months before I was walking again - 3 months in plaster left me with plantar fascitis hence why walking took so long. things have improved but I still have a joint moving next to the one fused. the Morton's Neuroma continued for a while whilst all the nerve connections re-grew during which I had some months of sporadic shooting pains even when feet were up.

The arthritis in the mid foot and side of foot next to the ankle is worse and so up and down and my arch has almost collapsed so that in itself plays up and can be very painful but the Morton's neuroma and Murker's click now only ever bother me if I have tried to walk more than normal, during freezing or hot humid weather so its not totally gone away but you need to think and understand which operation you are being offered so you know the risks and what you need to do. if it is a mid foot fusion it is not a same-day in and out, I was kept in overnight and only sent home when the physio was happy I could cope and had someone to help me, recovery will take several months but if I had to go back in time was given the choice of being left as I was or having the operation knowing it would only be partially successful then I wouldn't hesitate as neither Murker's click nor Morton's Neuroma will suddenly decide to go away of their own accord. Talk to your surgeon and make notes, ask about success and failure rates so you are clear about your Plan 2. You need to also consider where you live, how you will get your shopping etc whilst recovering as being on the 3rd floor of a block with no reliable lift is no good unless you have worked out how you will get upstairs - ditto a house with no downstairs loo or bathroom when you are on your own and cannot get up to them. once you fully understand what the operation you are being offered is, what it entails by way of limitations during after-care when you cannot drive, cannot shower and need a rubber plaster bag and help to get into the shower cubicle - getting up to get a coffee/tea, cook a dinner etc you will find a lot of concerns fall into place but its much better to plan in advance.

best wishes

• Posted

hi, 3 years ago I was suffering from Murker's click, Morton's Neuroma and had a few joints in the mid foot moving when I walked and had surgery by way of a mid foot fusion. it was 4 and a half months before I was walking again - 3 months in plaster left me with plantar fascitis hence why walking took so long. things have improved but I still have a joint moving next to the one fused. the Morton's Neuroma continued for a while whilst all the nerve connections re-grew during which I had some months of sporadic shooting pains even when feet were up.

The arthritis in the mid foot and side of foot next to the ankle is worse and so up and down and my arch has almost collapsed so that in itself plays up and can be very painful but the Morton's neuroma and Murker's click now only ever bother me if I have tried to walk more than normal, during freezing or hot humid weather so its not totally gone away but you need to think and understand which operation you are being offered so you know the risks and what you need to do. if it is a mid foot fusion it is not a same-day in and out, I was kept in overnight and only sent home when the physio was happy I could cope and had someone to help me, recovery will take several months but if I had to go back in time was given the choice of being left as I was or having the operation knowing it would only be partially successful then I wouldn't hesitate as neither Murker's click nor Morton's Neuroma will suddenly decide to go away of their own accord. Talk to your surgeon and make notes, ask about success and failure rates so you are clear about your Plan 2. You need to also consider where you live, how you will get your shopping etc whilst recovering as being on the 3rd floor of a block with no reliable lift is no good unless you have worked out how you will get upstairs - ditto a house with no downstairs loo or bathroom when you are on your own and cannot get up to them. once you fully understand what the operation you are being offered is, what it entails by way of limitations during after-care when you cannot drive, cannot shower and need a rubber plaster bag and help to get into the shower cubicle - getting up to get a coffee/tea, cook a dinner etc you will find a lot of concerns fall into place but its much better to plan in advance.

best wishes

• Edited

i just had Morton neuroma surgery 2 weeks ago. i had the neuroma between my 3d and 4th toe in the left foot. quite painful when wearing flat shoes,but would not hurt in heels surprisingly. did an injection that did not work on my neuroma so opted for surgery. the surgery was not pleasant. opted for local anastetich and was not aware there were 6 injections (painful ones) in the foot to numb it. had I known would ave asked for General. recovery has been great so far. no pain after surgery just it would get a bit heavy and swollen at the end of day. there is though a hard lump on the sole of my foot where the neuroma was removed. it is making me limp as its as if is a peeble inside my sole. not painful just super uncomfy. have an app with a doctor on the 7th and I will ask then about it. not sure if its swelling that has not gone down, scar tissue or what? but I hope it hoes away otherwise this would have not been worth the surgery .

• Posted

hi! did you have your surgery yet ? i had a morton nueroma excision two weeks ago . i should be able to put weight on the ball of my foot but i have even worse shooting pain radiating to the tip of my toe when i put weight on the ball of my foot so i dont know if it will go away ? is it part of the healing process? thoughts?

• Posted

hi There. I am now 2 months post op ecxactly. I never experienced the shooting pains some people mention in here . but I did end up with a scar tissue on the ball of my foot that took 1 month to dissolve, I massaged it every night for 10 mins. I did not get shooting pain but sometimes it still feels as if there is liquid or air going through the damaged nerve , but happens rarely. pain completely gone. i was able to put normal trainers 3 weeks after , which even the doctor was surprised but I do tend to heal super quick. so it depends on the person. Id mention the shooting pains durinh your post op check . I mentioned the scar tissue and they will follow that one up. 2 weeks after the op I was regreting I did it. now 2 months after I am happy I got it done. feels amazing not to have that stabbing pain on ur foot that u get when u have the neuroma. hope you get to feel the benefit soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.