Morton's Neuroma - Surgery or Cryosurgery?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have a 14 mm morton's neuroma. I've had it for over 10 years. I've had a steroid injection but it didn't work. I am getting 3 screws removed from my midfoot fusion in a few months because I am now fused and I am intending to get the morton's removed at the same time. However, not sure morton's neuroma surgery has great results? Has anyone had a good result for morton's neuroma surgery or the new approach of cryosurgery which is less invasive? Thanks....

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mother Jo, why are you getting your hardware removed?  My Dr is keeping mine in. Just curious. I had MN surgery and hurt more now than before. The clicking, standing on a marble sensation is gone, however it has been replaced with searing nerve pain. Wish I had better r suits to share with you!
    • Posted

Hi Tracy, I am having screws removed because they are irritating the soft tissue - giving me tenosynovitis or inflamed tendon sheath...also I am a dancer, so no metal will give a more natural feeling. My surgeon says the bone is now fused and the screws are like old scaffolding. Did you surgeon damage your nerve when they did your mortons? I'm sorry it's so painful now. Cryosurgery may help - there is a clinic in Sheffield that does it...

• Posted

Hi Mother Jo, sorry to hear about your oft-tissue irritation. I am having irritation on the tissue above my staples, so I will probably ask to have them removed too. My surgeon said it'll take a year to 18 months to recover, so I'll try and wait the year before going back to see him. Regarding my MN, he took out the nerve bundle neuroma, so who knows about the damage. I'm going to see him about it when I go back for my staples. Let us know how you make out. So nice you are a dancer!

• Posted

Hi Tracy,

I am just coming up to 1 year post fusion in February so this is about the right time to have removal if they irritate...surgeon says the metal is not doing anything now so I said it might as well all come out so I can feel like I have my foot back again...what did your MN measure?

• Posted

I don't remember the size. I'm thinking about a half inch. Roughly the same size as yours. 

• Posted

I had a mid-foot fusion 7/29/16, numerous screws abd a plate were placed. My Ortho MD said not to remove the hardware unless there was a prblm. Why remove your screws and poss. have another problem. Just leave it!
    • Posted

I'm having screws removed because they are irritating the soft tissue - giving me tenosynovitis or inflamed tendon sheath...also I am a dancer, so no metal will give a more natural feeling. My surgeon says the bone is now fused and the screws are like old scaffolding...I have a problem with them in so that's why they are coming out - it's meant to be quite a simple op...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.