Mortons Neuroma

Posted , 14 users are following.

I was diagnosed with a Mortons neuroma between toe 2 & 3 in my left foot in march 2014. I was to have surgery on December 2014 to remove it after having insoles from podiatry and not making any difference. When my consultant came to speak to me prior to my surgery he said he wasn't going to remove the neuroma as it was smaller (6.5mm) than HR likes them to be (9-10mm)!! But he would straighten my big toe as it was fairly squint and squashing my other toes and he felt that this would give the other toes a bit more space and I would get less pain from the neuroma. Anyway long story short I've had the toe straightened but still in a lot of pain on ball of my foot and in top at base of both toes 2&3 and consultant today wanted 2 give me more surgery to now remove the neuroma!! Due to having had lots of time off work for the earlier surgery I'm unable to take any more time off just yet so om getting an ultrasound guided cortisone injection - had anybody had this and did it give you any relief? I'm hoping that this will ease my pain and give me a bit longer before I need further surgery. Sorry for the long post and would be grateful for any advise. Thanks

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Injecting alcohol (like phenol and surgical ablation) are merely ways of desensitising the region by killing the nerves, and an acknowledgement that the surgeon does not know the cause of the pain.

Alcohol etc. also kills all the adjacent tissues, including any tendons or muscles. Hence the pain. Blood vessels are also damaged (hence the bleeding aka bruising). It is dangerous, and can cause ulceration.

I suggest that you ask you surgeon to get my book, which explains much or most of the happenings which cause pain in the forefoot (there are a number of causes). Without a diagnosis, correct treatment clearly cannot occur.

• Posted

Hi jp66967, I have thought how knowledgeable you are on feet. Please let me know the name of your book I would be very interested to read it. Thank you
    • Posted

sally, if you read my posting, I tried the alochol injections and they really ittiyated my foot, after the 3rd, with some really bad bruising on the 2nd. I opted out of the injections, wnd went with surgery. @weeks since surgery, and soing well. However several years ago I did the cortisone shots, and they helped for a bit.
    • Posted

HI Jeanne thanx 4 ur message. I'm sure it's cortisone injection im getting altho in would have preferred the ultrasound guided injection as that way there's more chance of them getting the neuroma but at least I'd he tried the blind injection there's still a chance he gets close to it and I can't afford any more time off work for further surgery until middle if next year so I'm hoping that this gives me some sort of relief at least for a few months. I know it's inevitable that I will require surgery but the longer I can hold off then the better. Good to hear you're doing well after your surgery. What timescale dis they give you for recovery? x
    • Posted

Hey Sally. the cortisone shot should give you some relief for awhile. My dr first said that I would be out of work for 2 weeks, then when he did the surgery he said I had the largest neuroma he ever saw. So he also thought I sit down at work, which would have been great if I did, but I stand and do production all day, so I am still out of work, been out since Nov 3, I go back Monday to take out stitches, and try to get in my shoes. If your job requires you to sit 2 weeks is ggod, and then sometime the shots helps and you may not need it at all.
    • Posted

Hi how are you doing now? Are you back on your feet again now? Any pain? I've been really good since getting cortisone injection in December 2015 but the pain the ball of my foot is starting to come back. Although not as bad as it was but it's quite painful. I've got an appointment to see my consultant on 2 June and I'm sure he's going to put me forward for surgery. I'm in a bit of a dilemma as it's not 2 years since I had my last surgery so work could be a bit awkward with me being off again but if I get another cortisone and then get put forward for surgery in a few months time I'm not sure how my recovery will be as we're due to go to new Zealand in June 2017 so not sure just to go for surgery later this year so that I've got more time to recover. I just hope after surgery that it sorts my foot and I get no further pain. x

• Posted

Hello, am reading your replies re MN which a son of mine, in his late thirties, has just been diagnosed with following two bad breaks in foot after a v bad fall.  I see you say diagnosis for MN should relate to the 4th & 5th toes (little too being 5th) but he feels his related to 3rd & 4th, so I am not concerned about misdiagnosis.   I see you have a book that would be helpful, can you please give the name of the book, or how you can be contacted if unable to give this information on this forum.  There is a history of severe arthritis affecting the feet on his paternal side, and because of this, we are desperate to do all we can to prevent this from happening.
    • Posted

Hi jp66967I am new to this forum and am unsure how it works. I am interested to hear more about your book that is mentioned in some of the posts here. Please can you let me know the name of your book and how I can get hold of it. I can see that this site does not allow this kind of information on its pages....what would be the procedure? Many thanks.

• Posted

The size of your Morton's neuroma is not necessarily related to the amount of pain that you suffer. You should have a diagnositic injection to confirm the daignosis.
  • Posted

Hi Sally, yes I'm doing fine, my toe has turned slightly to the right however I am wearing sandals with the toes on show so it looks ok really especially looking at other people's feet. My toe is still numb and the 3rd toe it's a strange feeling however so glad I had the op. It just feels a little funny, but that's ok. Can't wear heel, only wedge heels, still I don't mind that, my daughter has had the benefit of my nice shoes so all in all I'm doing fine.

So Sally I hope this answers your questions I'm so glad I had the op. Everyone is different, so it's your decision. I wish you well please keep in touch.

• Posted

Hi jennyb26 glad to hear you're now doing fine.  I was back at the hospital last week and looks like we've exhausted all avenues and i'll be getting surgery to remove the MN in my left foot.  I will also be getting my 2nd toe shortened at the same time - not sure how painful this will be or how much longer i'll be off work but thought it best to get all done at the one time!  I did get another Cortisone Injection lat week but so far it's not changed anything but thinking back i'm sure the last time it took about a week for me to notice it being less painful.  So im hoping that this gives me some relief and tides me over until i get my surgery appointment.

I jsut want it all done and over with now as it's been dragging on too long and if my surgeon had only removed it in Dec 2015 i would have been fully recovered by now but hey ho nothing i can do about that now just got to wait til i get my surgery. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.