Mortons neuroma advice on cryosurgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I am hoping that someone may be able to offer some advice/experience about Mortons Neuroma. I have neuroma and bursa in my left foot (5mm and 10mm big) and am booked to have conventional surgery on 22 March. I have read so many horror stories on long recovery, pain and stump neuroma with the open surgery and am now considering going private for cryosurgery. It looks much less invasive and less risky. Does anyone have any experience of this and if it worked?  Are there any serious risks with having it done? Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I ve had surgery for mn on both feet. My left in dec and my right 4 weeks ago. Almost immediately after my first i felt relief but recently i ve hadcquite a bit of pain . Maybe due to the fact i ve been putting my weight on that foot since my op on the right foot 4"weeks ago. My right foot is a lot less painful than before the op so i m keeping fingers crossed its been successful. I m glad i went ahead with both operations as the pain i d had was chronic and was willing to try anything. The op both times was straight forwsrd. I went in hospital at 7am and was home i think by 2

I didnt have any side effects and hsrdly any pain. The stiches and dressings were taken off after 2 weeks andvthe wounds are healing really well. I ve bought some insoles called "orange insoles" and they re really helping. I ve spents 100s of ppunds on diffrrent things to help with this condition but nothing ever helped so surgrry was the best option for me. If this doesnt work i ll try cryotherapy or accupuncture but keeping fingers crossed. Hope this has been some help to you. And good luck with what you decide.

• Posted

Thanks for the info, very helpful. I hope you're not in too much pain post surgery. I'm really in two minds about which way to go still...
    • Posted

Well as i said surgery seems to be the right decision for me. The first consultant i saw told me there was no option of an op, and suggested carbon graphite orthotics which i had to buy from usa at a cost of £120. Then i was discharged. My 2nd consultant has been really helpful. I had alcohol injections aswell but these didnt work at all. He also told me the insoles i bought from usa were completely wrong. Hopefull you ll make the right decision for you

Surgerie isnt for everyone but i was at my wits end and my feet are much better than before the op. So once again good luck

• Posted

Thanks Debbie. I tried orthotics which were useless for me too. I haven't had steroid injections and I've not been offered alcohol (I have not heard much positive about either of those working though). Thanks again for your posts, really appreciate hearing how others have got one.
  • Posted

I had cryosurgery on one foot (have Mortons in both). It was fine and I had to stay off my foot for two weeks but unfortunately it did not work so I paid £1500 for nothing. Apparently the success rate is about 80% - I was one of the 20%.

I have completely changed all my footwear and now find the condition manageable - I know it is there but it is not painful. Am hoping to avoid surgery and so far fine

• Posted

Thanks for the post, that's helpful. I'm sorry your cryo hasn't worked. Can I ask how long ago you had it and where you had it done? I am interested in this route as it's less invasive but I have heard that it does not work in all cases. The biggest drawback I see is disappointment (i.e. that it does not work) and it is a lot of money to spend on something if it fails as it has for you. Would you consider conventional surgery as a last resort or is that a 'no no' for you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.