Mortons Neuroma surgery

Posted , 16 users are following.

I have had my neuroma removed and am currently 8 days post op, Elevating as I type.

I walk a lot in my job and enjoy walking in my free time.

I have suffered with this foot pain for years and decided to go speak to my GP, who referee me for ultra sound. I was told during the scan that I had mortons neuroma. Up until this point I'd never heard of it. An appointment with a foot orthopaedic consultant was made and here he disused my options and outcomes. I went for the the injection in my 3/4 Web space (which killed by the way) and a follow up appointment was made in 2 months time. Although my foot pain had stopped almost emmeidiatly it soon returned. .so surgery was my only other option. .this was done 8 days ago and am currently sporting a full foot bandage complete with a Benefoot shoe. My surgeon explained the importance of elevating 23 hours a day, using the let over hour for "the 3 T's" toilet, tea and toast.

My foot is painful and am told he went in via the top of my foot, I can see obvious bruising and swelling but I am elevating. My appointment to remove the dressings is next week. My surgeon explained I should wear flat shoes for 3 months post bandages. So have been online shopping for shoes whilst elevating. ..well why not!!

I am a very optimistic person and am hopeful that I will be back to normal by the 3 months that was until I read this forum, I am now concerned with all the negative comments on this subject that I may never get back to normal, and I challenge myself if I have indeed done the right thing.

Has anyone got any success stories??

I am a 57 yr old female and have had the surgery via our fantastic NHS.

Appreciate any feed back.

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Did you have an update from further along?

I had neurectomy about 2.5 weeks ago. I'm wondering about when the pain might stop if it went right. I feel like the pain is different but still a little more than I was expecting at this point.

I was told to not put pressure on the foot for 3 weeks and then not push off with the front for another 3 weeks. I ran out of the prescripion pain medicine so I thought it would have less pain by now.

I avoided the surgery because I'd seen so many bad outcome stories online but eventually decided it was getting worse not better so I had to do something. The whole thing started because a driver ran over my foot/hit me and every thing since than has been monstrous. I had to quit my job and that didn't even really help.

• Posted

Hi pegs girl.Yes it can take a while before your "comfortable" but i think it seems different for everybody,if the surgeon went through from the top of the foot im told there's a lot of structures inside that have to be penetrated oviously causing damage,this in itself can take a long period to get better whilst the scarring repairs.In my case i had a second nueroma come up between 2 & 3 after the first one between 3 & 4 had been "removed" and mine has never really been very comfortable,and ive had to cut the length of my working days.

The second neuroma was removed on the 29th June so its still a little tender.I dont think my foot will ever be the same as it was pre- neuroma's but i guess it is what it is.

I have discovered however that i now have a third neuroma thats come up in my other foot so i am struggling a little and am unable to walk the dog with my wife which i used to enjoy very much, i have to pace my day so as not to spend to long on my feet and have now retired as im 65 but have still got a lot of building work to do so i am hopeing that once my left foot has been done which will probibly be another 3 years of waiting for the NHS !!!,i do hope that i can finish up my work without giving it up,im not one for sitting about and do need "activities" to keep me going,unfortunately ive had to give up the gym but i guess i could try swimming instead,although i done feel in the right mindset as yet.

I do hope that you dont get my sort of luck but if i know anything i would certainly say that it'll take at least a couple of months to be completely comfortable although ive never been able to walk bare footed since my neuroma's and probibly never will,in my opinion its a bit of a life changer,something you have to cope with and get along with perhaps !!

• Posted

Hi, I am 32 yo Male who had Neuroma Surgery 4 months ago between 3rd/4th toes. Initially I was worried by reading all the negative reports but now I'm back to playing Ice Hockey, Running, Weight Lifting. It took about 3 months to get back to doing this. It is still a little achy when walking around on bare foot but I think that is slowly disappearing.

The doctor said I should just walk on it straight out of surgery in a post op shoe. I don't understand where this advice comes from as there's no way I could have walked. Luckily I have crutches and walked on those for the first 6 weeks. My advice is to demand crutches and keep it elevated for a few days.

I just wanted to share my positive surgery story.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.