most of thyroid removed 7 weeks ago,no medication and feel terrible

Posted , 2 users are following.

wish id never had this operation.i had a large(non cancerous) nodule in the front of my throat and a goiter that had grown up behind my ear and wrapped itself around the collar bone and into my chest cavity so had no choice but to have it removed.my surgeon recommended that they leave a bit in on the right side of the thyroid in to see if this would be enough to work without the need for medication.The operation was just over 2 hours and went very well.

7 weeks on i feel terrible.I am usually full of energy and a happy go lucky person but since having this op im sad,irritable,depressed and cant be bothered with anything or anyone at all,i wanna argue about everything but at the same time cant be bothered to argue.im either boiling hot or freezing cold.i get leg cramps in the night.i have ulcers in my mouth,ive gained over a stone which could be partially because i gave up smoking the same day as the op and my hair is thinning.i had blood done 5 weeks after the op and dr has said my levels are normal.My TSH level was 2.34 and was assured by the "recepionist" this is normal.

am i alone feeling like this?and is this how im going to feel for always? 

any advice would be gratfully recieved.

thankyou x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sorry you're feeling the way you are, but it is still early days and you. need to give your body more time to recover, from what is major surgery. I am 4 months post surgery an started to feel back to my normal self after about 3 months.

I am on no medication, had a blood test a week ago and I'm hopeful that the part of thyroid left is still working.

I'm sure they will continue to monitor your levels, as 5 weeks is a bit quick to show any suttle changes that may be affecting you.

I had some of the symptoms you mention - low mood, hot\cold, exhausted and cramps, but they have gradually settled and I hope yours do too.

Don't be too hard on yourself, it sounds as if you made the right decision for your operation and it does get better 😊

• Posted

thankyou for the reply.

you have given me hope that im not losing my mind and that it should calm down to normal smile 

hows your scar?mines healed but is very sore and itchy like a papercut sore inside,not red or anything so no infection but still numb in places.very smooth one side but puckerd the other.

glad to hear your feeling ok after your op and thanks again for the re-assurance its much apreciated x

• Posted

Hi you have done well with your scar, as mine became a little infected but it settled with a weeks antibiotics. It has healed now, but I can still. Get nerve type discomfort, which is settling compared to earlier on.

Itches still, but have to just lightly rub it, as to give it a good scratch would be uncomfortable as it seems to be hypersensitive. Overall though quite pleased, but it can take up to a year for the finalish result.

• Posted

hi im rubbing vitamin e cream into mine as recommended by my surgeon and it does help the itching.really is hard not to scartch it though at times. thanks for the replies x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.